Swirled Peppermint Bark

If you’re looking for a quick gift for friends, hostess gift, or treat to take to work or a party, this swirled peppermint bark is always a sure bet.

Swirled Peppermint Bark

Peppermint bark is such a classic holiday treat. I was drawn to this one because it has swirled chocolate and white chocolate as opposed to the traditional layering that you see with most peppermint barks.

Swirled Peppermint Bark

It comes as no surprise that this peppermint bark was a cinch to make and was a hit. I mean how can you go wrong with chocolate and peppermint? You can’t.

Swirled Peppermint Bark

Definitely take the time to use a double boiler for both chocolates. Melted chocolate in the microwave works for most applications, but I wouldn’t risk it with peppermint bark. Especially since white chocolate can be quite high maintenance…

Two Years Ago: Beef Stew and Massaged Kale with Pear and Pumpkin Seeds
Three Years Ago: Homemade Green Bean Casserole and Turnip Puff
Four Years Ago: M&M Surprise Cookies and Cookie Dough Brownies
Five Years Ago: Lumberjack Cookies and Peppermint Sandies

Print Save

Swirled Peppermint Bark

If you're looking for a quick gift for friends, hostess gift, or treat to take to work or a party, this swirled peppermint bark is always a sure bet.

Ingredients:

1.5 lb white chocolate
1.5 lb semi-sweet chocolate
8 candy cane, crushed

Directions:

Set up two double boilers (a simmering pot of water with a glass bowl sitting over top, not touching the water.

Let the chocolate melt mostly on it's own, stirring every once in a while with a rubber spatula. When it's mostly melted, remove it from the heat, being careful to make sure water doesn't get into the chocolate.

Stir until completely smooth and then spoon each chocolate in random blobs on a wax paper-lined 11x17, filling most of the surface.

Using the end of a small knife held vertically, swirl the chocolate until you're happy with the presentation.

Pick up the pan a few inches off the counter and let it fall back, to evenly distribute the chocolate and get rid of any air bubbles.

Scatter the candy cane pieces over the top.

Let sit at room temperature until completely hardened. Break the bark into pieces.

Store at room temperature in a covered container.

14 Responses to “Harry Potter Cupcakes”

clstar — August 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

OMG, I am in love with these cupcakes! They’re so awesome! I love HP, and I made owl cupcakes when the movie came out. I might need to give these a try before going to see the IMAX 3D movie.

thegreatpantryraid — August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

How cute are those?! And i was wondering how you got the lettering so perfect – thanks for the step-by-step. Lol – I just dragged DH to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry – I’m sure he’ll be happy when the final movie comes out and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore!

thecookingnurse — August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job, how lucky are your friends?

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’m so jealous! My two sisters are going to the exhibit this weekend. I thought about flying to Chicago to join them. Luckily I found out the exhibit is coming here in October. Whew!

Erin — August 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

These look fabulous! You did such a great job on them!

Katie — August 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

WOW JEN!! Those are fantastic!! Better than professional! Seriously, what talent you have to make those! 🙂

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Aw thanks Katie – you’re making me blush.

Ingrid — August 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate when cupcakes do that to me too. Instead of baking up they bake out! 🙁

Love your Harry Potter cupcake toppers! Very cute and creative!
    ~ingrid

Manda — August 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Jen! A friend of mine forwarded me your page for HP Cupcakes and I just wanted to drop in and say that I think they’re awesome and I want to run home now and try to create some fun hp themed cakes! I had done some in the past–cauldron cakes if you will, by buying mini cauldrons and cutting the bottom off so the tops sat just on the cakes and then used a bit of green frosting on the inside. You should join up with the HP-MA crew! We’ve been organizing some meet-ups for Boston Fans!

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Sounds awesome Manda.

nutmegnanny — August 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what adorable little cupcakes!

annieseats — August 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

So so cute! And yeah, those “HPs” must have taken FOREVER. I have a fabulous vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails me here: http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/18/vanilla-cupcakes/. Also, I recently made Dorie’s perfect party cake into cupcakes and had great results with that as well.

bcallegra — August 7, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love your HP cupcakes! I too am a huge Harry Potter fan but I have to admit, I don’t think I’d be patient enough to make cupcakes and toppings as cute as yours!

Karin — April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

These are so awesome!! I wish I would have seen them and did some of these with the HP cake I did!!