Swirled Peppermint Bark

If you’re looking for a quick gift for friends, hostess gift, or treat to take to work or a party, this swirled peppermint bark is always a sure bet.

Swirled Peppermint Bark

Peppermint bark is such a classic holiday treat. I was drawn to this one because it has swirled chocolate and white chocolate as opposed to the traditional layering that you see with most peppermint barks.

Swirled Peppermint Bark

It comes as no surprise that this peppermint bark was a cinch to make and was a hit. I mean how can you go wrong with chocolate and peppermint? You can’t.

Swirled Peppermint Bark

Definitely take the time to use a double boiler for both chocolates. Melted chocolate in the microwave works for most applications, but I wouldn’t risk it with peppermint bark. Especially since white chocolate can be quite high maintenance…

Two Years Ago: Beef Stew and Massaged Kale with Pear and Pumpkin Seeds
Three Years Ago: Homemade Green Bean Casserole and Turnip Puff
Four Years Ago: M&M Surprise Cookies and Cookie Dough Brownies
Five Years Ago: Lumberjack Cookies and Peppermint Sandies

Print Save

Swirled Peppermint Bark

If you're looking for a quick gift for friends, hostess gift, or treat to take to work or a party, this swirled peppermint bark is always a sure bet.

Ingredients:

1.5 lb white chocolate
1.5 lb semi-sweet chocolate
8 candy cane, crushed

Directions:

Set up two double boilers (a simmering pot of water with a glass bowl sitting over top, not touching the water.

Let the chocolate melt mostly on it's own, stirring every once in a while with a rubber spatula. When it's mostly melted, remove it from the heat, being careful to make sure water doesn't get into the chocolate.

Stir until completely smooth and then spoon each chocolate in random blobs on a wax paper-lined 11x17, filling most of the surface.

Using the end of a small knife held vertically, swirl the chocolate until you're happy with the presentation.

Pick up the pan a few inches off the counter and let it fall back, to evenly distribute the chocolate and get rid of any air bubbles.

Scatter the candy cane pieces over the top.

Let sit at room temperature until completely hardened. Break the bark into pieces.

Store at room temperature in a covered container.

13 Responses to “Chocolate M&M Cookies”

Katie — October 21, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Jen, I totally love your blog. You always ahve the BEST treats! I LOVE the picture with all the cookies resting on the m&ms. GREAT idea! 🙂

Jigginjessica — October 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Looks beautiful as always!

stephchows — October 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm

perfect use of pink! So interesting about how the cookies reacted to the way you rolled them! Thanks for the heads up!

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Your cookies look great and that’s a good tip about getting them to look their best too. My kids and all their friends love these cookies. I’ve made them a few times since I first posted them and they never last long.
    thanks for the link!
    ~ Michelle

Chocolate Shavings — October 21, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Those are beautiful and perfect for such a great cause

The Novice Chef — October 21, 2009 at 7:32 pm

What an adorable picture! Also helps that they are for a great cause! 🙂

Natalie — October 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

M&Ms are my favorite treat and I love that during this month everything is PINK! The cookies look fantastic.

Kat — October 21, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I am bummed I missed your Power of Pink contest as I was utilizing October to raise awareness around breast cancer too! I made some cookies and have a post on my site: http://katskitchenplace.blogspot.com/2009/10/october-is-breast-cancer-awareness.html
    I like the chocolate cookie base of your cookies! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to checking back and seeing all what people make towards your challenge 🙂

tastestopping — October 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm

A chocolate cookie topped with chocolate candies? What could be better? Perhaps a tall, ice cold glass of milk to go with them! They look divine. I’m wondering if you might skip the rolling and flattening by creating a wide log of dough (without M&Ms), slicing to the thickness desired, then pressing candies on top? Seems like the dough might be fairly easy to shape into a log. A quick pop into the fridge before slicing would help firm it up. Just a thought! I can’t wait to try them.

Best,
    Casey

P.S. Not sure if I’ve invited you before, but I’d love to publish any of your photos that FoodGawker and TasteSpotting decline! Thanks. 😀

nutmegnanny — October 23, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love the dark chocolate and pink M&M contrast. What fantastic cookies:)

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I just made your recipe for these cookies yesterday and took them to church. The kids went nuts and they’ve never turned out as pretty as they did this time. Thanks for the helpful tips because my m&m cookies have never turned out prettier! 9 minutes was also perfect timing as well.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Both pretty and I’m sure delicious! I love how you showed the comparison between batches to give better suggestions for prettier cookies. The final batch are definitely the prettiest of the bunch. I love that the pink pops w/the chocolate cookie.