12 Days of Cookies – Peppermint Sandies

For my second cookie, I decided to try a new recipe. Hubby isn’t a huge fan of peppermint, but I enjoy it during the holidays. Last year, I made some peppermint truffles and cupcakes that were very good. I choose these Peppermint Sandies because they looked so cute and easy to make. I took them to work and of course they disappeared in no time. I wasn’t a huge fan of the texture. Mine may have been a bit undercooked? I took them out after 13 minutes right when the bottoms were starting to brown. Also, the recipe said that it makes 4 dozen, I only got 28 cookies. I used my usual cookie scoop but maybe mine were bigger than what they were supposed to be.

Hubby served as a guest photographer for these cookies as well. He did all the setup including choosing a background and staging the shot. Nice work again Hubby!

Peppermint Sandies – from Better Homes and Gardens – makes 2-4 dozen
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup finely crushed striped round peppermint candies
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whipping cream
6 ounces white baking chocolate
Crushed striped round peppermint candies

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and the 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in water, vanilla, and peppermint extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.

Meanwhile, for glaze: In a medium saucepan, bring whipping cream just to simmering. Remove from heat. Add white chocolate; let stand for 3 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand for 45 to 60 minutes or until glaze starts to thicken.

Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the glaze over each cooled cookie. Sprinkle with additional crushed peppermint candies. Let stand until glaze is set. Makes about 48 cookies.

My 12 Days of Cookies:Day 1: Lumberjacks

I’m submitting this to Food Bloggas Eat Christmas Cookies blogging event. Check this link to participate in the event. Or check here to see the roundup (gets updated as entries come in).

22 Responses to “Carrot Cake and Cheesecake Cake”

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — April 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Give me a moment to compose myself… ok. This is the cake that my dreams are made of! Carrot cake and cheesecake are my two favorite cakes, so combine them into one amazing dessert, and I’m in total bliss. It looks phenomenal, and I would dominate a big slice ;).

lms — July 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm

This cake was phenomenal!!!!! I have now made 3 versions and I think the carrot was the best. Everyone raved over it and we all thought it was better the 2nd day! YUM is an understatement!

Matt — January 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I’m confused, how did the become a red velvet cake during the assembly?

• beantownbaker — January 27th, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

That was a typo in the recipe since this was based on the red velvet cheesecake cake that I had made. I fixed it. Hope that helps.

Chewy — March 29, 2013 at 11:19 am

Do i have to put the cheesecake pan in a roaster with water? I dont have a roaster? Before I purchase one I thought Id ask. Ive made many cheesecakes in the past and never did this

Thanks

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Yes, you are using a water bath to bake the cheesecake. So the water should come up about half way on the side of the pan that the cheesecake is in. I usually use a disposable roasting pan since I don’t have a roaster either. Hope that helps.

Sarah Ross — March 31, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Just made this for Easter and everyone loved it.. Thank you

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:36 am

Glad it was a success for you. This is a great Easter cake.

Brandi — March 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I made this for Easter today as well, and it was great, everyone said so. I couldn’t eat much, it’s SO thick and rich. I don’t think it would have been half as great without the cheesecake. LOVE that and what a super easy recipe for the cheesecake.

The cake was quite a bit more work than I am used to, and I had to change a few things up based on what I had, in cae this helps anyone else…

I didn’t have brown sugar, subbed coconut palm sugar.

I used toasted almonds instead of pecans and was pleasantly surprised that I actually like them when toasted, as I don’t normally like them at all, they were so light and crispy.

I do not have a stand mixer, I used my Ninja blender with the whipping cream attachement (I didn’t know that it would work but it worked just fine!)

My food processor is broke and couldn’t find my grater, so I used my blender for the carrots, worked just fine.

I skipped the parchment paper bc I was out and that was no biggie.

The cake looked picture perfect and tasted amazing, no complaints here. Thank you!!!

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:37 am

So glad this worked out for you. Thanks for coming back and posting the changes you made. I am sure they will be helpful for other readers.

Toasted almonds are one of my favorite nuts! What a great substitution.

Joann — July 21, 2013 at 3:49 pm

How many people will this feed? It is a combo of my two favorite things so I want to make it for a Bunco group.

• beantownbaker — July 21st, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

It will easily serve 12-16

Amy — October 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I made this for my mom’s 60th birthday and everyone loved it. My dad announced that it was his favorite cake ever, so…I’m about to go buy the ingredients to make it again for HIS 60th next week 🙂 Thanks!

• beantownbaker — October 15th, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Wow! Now that’s a compliment! So glad everyone enjoyed it 🙂

Sarah — December 10, 2013 at 11:33 am

Hey there!

Wonderful recipe 🙂 just curious, when you assembled the cake, is the top layer bottom side up, or right side up? Did you trim the rounded top off?

Thanks!

• beantownbaker — December 10th, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

If I remember correctly, my layers came out pretty flat. If they were round, I would trim the top off. I always put the top layer upside down when I’m stacking a layer cake.

Robin — April 24, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Made this for Easter, for my husband’s side of the family. Perfect cake recipe! Takes time to make, but nothing difficult. Turned out beautifully and tasted wonderful. I didn’t tell anyone about the cheesecake layer, so when I cut the first piece everyone was just thrilled to see that middle layer. The cake is a feast for both the eyes and the palate. It also travels well, which is a bonus for a 3-layer cake. I will make this cake again, and again, and again. Thanks!!!

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

So glad you enjoyed it!!

Anndrea — January 29, 2016 at 3:08 am

Just tried to make this… and I am curious if other people who had success used the volume or weight measures??
    I used the weight and was quite precise BUT the cake is now seemingly exploding in my oven.. I am thinking some of the ounces are wrong but am not sure. (I have checked the recipe about 5 times to make sure i measured correctly too…)
    Quite disappointed but hopefully I can still salvage something from it.

Margaret Jimenez — March 26, 2016 at 8:22 am

hi! I wanted to make this for Easter tmrw..but I only have 10″ pans..both for the cheesecake & cake..can u PLEASE help me w/ the adjustments? I tried googling it, but it’s just not happening & I WANT to make this recipe..it has 5 stars! THANK U, THANK U!

Margaret Jimenez — March 26, 2016 at 8:24 am

what I left out, was, I don’t want my cakes to be thin..I LOVE/prefer a high cake 🙂

Lani — September 22, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Hello! Will the cheesecake tend to soften and tilt or sink in if it’s in a slightly warm environment or if I make it into a 5-6″ layer cake? I’m thinking of having one cake layer at the bottom, then the cheesecake, then the rest of the 2-4 layers cake layers. I am wondering if the cake will hold (with the cheesecake layer) if I put a center dowel?