Blueberry Beer Sorbet

Hubby and I enjoy beer. A lot. As we’ve grown up, our tastes have evolved to appreciate quality beer, not the crap we drank in college. Moving to Ohio, we were concerned that we wouldn’t be able to satisfy our beer-snobbery the way we could in the East Coast. Lucky for us, Cincinnati has a strong beer heritage, and the craft beer scene here is growing day by day.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

One of our local breweries is called Rivertown. Hubby and I have been enjoying tasting their beers, which we can buy at our local grocery store. I picked up one of their variety packs a while ago and it had a blueberry variety in it. Now Hubby and I both really dislike blueberry beer. It’s pretty big in Boston because of Wachusett Blueberry beer.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

So the blueberry beers always just sit in the back of our fridge. Waiting for someone to come over who like blueberry beer, or until it’s the last beer in the fridge and one of us gets desperate enough to drink it. When our latest CSA box came with two pints of super ripe blueberries, I had a spark of a memory of this Strawberry Beer Sorbet. I decided to put our blueberry beer to some use by mixing it with fresh blueberries to whip up this sorbet.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

And I’ll tell you what, if blueberry beers tasted like this sorbet, I’d be a HUGE fan of blueberry beer. There’s a strong sweet blueberry flavor with just a hint of beer in it. Hubby and I couldn’t stop steeling little tastes of this sorbet. I was excited to make a variation on a recipe that I’ve made before. I definitely want to try more fruit and beer combinations in the future.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

I have been churning my sorbet recipes for a bit longer than the recipe says. I feel like it gives the sorbet a soft airy texture and the sorbet is less likely to get super icy.

Two Years Ago: Nectarine Blueberry Cobbler
Three Years Ago: Salmon Burgers and Chicken Parmesan Burgers
Four Years Ago: Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Five Years Ago: Salmon, Goat Cheese, and Spinach wrapped in Phyllo

Print Save

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar
16 oz beer of your choice

Directions:

In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add the blueberries and the sugar. With a potato masher, mash and stir the blueberries until well macerated and combined with the sugar. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, stirring and mashing until all the blueberries have broken down, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place the blueberry mixture in the fridge until completely cool, at least 2 hours.

Remove blueberry mixture from fridge and stir in beer. Process in ice cream makes following manufacturers' instructions for 30-40 minutes until firm. Place in a freezer safe container and chill until ready to serve.

Recipe adapted from The Beeroness

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake”

Sarah — November 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is the perfect recipe for all of the leftover ingredients I have! Hubby made me buy a 3-pound bag of cranberries because he loves them, but you only use 12 ounces for cranberry sauce so I’ve got about 2 pounds of cranberries left to use, plus lots of pumpkins and pecans. This is definitely being made this weekend!

Megan — November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh man. That does sound good. And I know it must be if you’re repeating it because I am the same way. I’m going to make a cranberry maple pecan cake on Friday… but this is really tempting too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie — November 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh, man! If I only had more time for Thanksgiving dessert table – this is certainly one I would try.

We Are Not Martha — November 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oooh this cake looks so ooey gooey and delicious! I wish there weren’t already so many desserts coming to my Thanksgiving table because I’d totally make this!

Sues

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This looks super delicious and your photos look great too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!

Shannon — November 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

ooooh, my, i must try this 🙂 happy thanksgiving!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

What a fabulous recipe! All the flavors sound delicious to me.

Shandra — November 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This looks amazing! It looks so moisty yum, I should try to make this sometime, Love your blog! this is my first comment for you so I thought I’d show some appreciation for your blog, because I’ve been drooling over all your recipes for a while
    Shandra-http://shandrita.tumblr.com/

"pup" — November 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Your photos are beautiful! The pictures I took of the actual cake didn’t look to appealing, the photos I took of the bite sized cake bites looked pretty though lol
    Good job!!

freefoodboston — December 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a great recipe! You totally had me at caramel/pecan/cranberry topping.

Sophie — January 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

Just finally made this cake and it is astoundingly good! Truly the best dessert I’ve had in…oh, a very long time. Thank you for your post!

Nancy Blume-Watson — November 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tried to be good, I really did! This cake was so delicious, I not only had seconds, I had a piece for breakfast the next day and for a snack later that day. This one goes on my Christmas menu!

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I doubled the recipe this time and you’ll remember the middle didn’t quite bake through. It also spilled over a bit, so next time, I’ll put a pan under the cake in the oven.