Blueberry Beer Sorbet

Hubby and I enjoy beer. A lot. As we’ve grown up, our tastes have evolved to appreciate quality beer, not the crap we drank in college. Moving to Ohio, we were concerned that we wouldn’t be able to satisfy our beer-snobbery the way we could in the East Coast. Lucky for us, Cincinnati has a strong beer heritage, and the craft beer scene here is growing day by day.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

One of our local breweries is called Rivertown. Hubby and I have been enjoying tasting their beers, which we can buy at our local grocery store. I picked up one of their variety packs a while ago and it had a blueberry variety in it. Now Hubby and I both really dislike blueberry beer. It’s pretty big in Boston because of Wachusett Blueberry beer.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

So the blueberry beers always just sit in the back of our fridge. Waiting for someone to come over who like blueberry beer, or until it’s the last beer in the fridge and one of us gets desperate enough to drink it. When our latest CSA box came with two pints of super ripe blueberries, I had a spark of a memory of this Strawberry Beer Sorbet. I decided to put our blueberry beer to some use by mixing it with fresh blueberries to whip up this sorbet.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

And I’ll tell you what, if blueberry beers tasted like this sorbet, I’d be a HUGE fan of blueberry beer. There’s a strong sweet blueberry flavor with just a hint of beer in it. Hubby and I couldn’t stop steeling little tastes of this sorbet. I was excited to make a variation on a recipe that I’ve made before. I definitely want to try more fruit and beer combinations in the future.

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

I have been churning my sorbet recipes for a bit longer than the recipe says. I feel like it gives the sorbet a soft airy texture and the sorbet is less likely to get super icy.

Two Years Ago: Nectarine Blueberry Cobbler
Three Years Ago: Salmon Burgers and Chicken Parmesan Burgers
Four Years Ago: Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Five Years Ago: Salmon, Goat Cheese, and Spinach wrapped in Phyllo

Print Save

Blueberry Beer Sorbet

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar
16 oz beer of your choice

Directions:

In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add the blueberries and the sugar. With a potato masher, mash and stir the blueberries until well macerated and combined with the sugar. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, stirring and mashing until all the blueberries have broken down, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place the blueberry mixture in the fridge until completely cool, at least 2 hours.

Remove blueberry mixture from fridge and stir in beer. Process in ice cream makes following manufacturers' instructions for 30-40 minutes until firm. Place in a freezer safe container and chill until ready to serve.

Recipe adapted from The Beeroness

21 Responses to “Coconut Almond Cake with Blackberry Lime Curd”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am really very terrible at frosting/decorating cake :\ This came out way better than anything I could make!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Ha – I’m pretty bad too. That’s why I love putting stuff on the sides. Coconut does a good job of hiding my sloppy decorating skills.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Coconut and almond, you’ve already got me reeled in 🙂 two of my favorite flavors rolled into what looks like a moist, fluffy cake. YUM

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board — March 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and the texture is perfect! I love curd as a filling between cake layers but i never knew the trick for preventing it from seeping out – thanks!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Yea, it’s definitely very helpful. Even more so when you ACTUALLY do it 😉

Megan — March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

We’ve all had those cake experiences. It looks like it turned out well in the end! And it sounds delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in thinking we all need to project that all of our baking/cooking endeavors are hugely successful…

Ashley — March 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Regardless of any kitchen mishaps, this cake looks divine! Layer cakes always look so special, and the addition of fruit here makes me swooooon!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I agree. Layer cakes always look special 🙂

Michelle — March 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh this looks amazing. And aren’t we all our own worst critics when we bake? I can’t tell you how many times I say something is terrible and my husband looks as me like I’m crazy.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, it tasted delicious and no one knew about all the issues I had with the cake. I did want to keep it real on the blog and not give anyone any false sense that things are always easy for me…

Erica @ In and Around Town — March 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I always shy away from layer cakes – yours always come out well, I need some more practice I think! Your “mistakes” are great learning points – did not know about the frosting damn, but it makes so much sense!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about them. I definitely could have posted about this cake without mentioning any of the issues I had. I’m hoping they’ll help someone (myself included) to learn something for the next time they tackle a layer cake. Yours will definitely improve with practice. Mine surely are. I really want to make that coconut cake you just posted!

Shannon — March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i’m always hard on myself too, but you wouldn’t know by the taste i’m sure! looks absolutely wonderful, not to mention i’m drooling over the flavor combo 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree, I think we all are. I wanted to keep it real with this post in case anyone else found it to be a difficult set of recipes…

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yum, your cake looks so delicious and I really love the sound of the blackberry lime curd!

Laura Dembowski — April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love coconut cake, and blackberries are my favorite fruit. Such a great idea to put them together. This cake is gorgeous! I would happily take a large slice . . . or maybe the whole thing 😉

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Then you would definitely love this cake!

Kristina Koranek — August 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Could anyone post the blackberry lime curd recipe? The link is no longer working.

Thanks!