Baked Brie with Grape Balsamic Compote

Today I bring you guys the last of my purple food posts. It took a couple weeks, but we made it! This is another recipe that I’m pretty proud of. I rarely make up my own recipes and this is one of those rare exceptions. For whatever reason, the idea of using grapes to make purple food didn’t cross my mind until the day before the party.

I had put baked brie on the menu and had planned to make a blueberry compote to put on top. But then it hit me – use grapes (duh!) So I used this blueberry sauce as an inspiration for the compote. I wanted it to be thicker, so I bumped up the amount of cornstarch.

I was a bit concerned that it would be too sweet, and I know balsamic pairs well with strawberries, so I decided to make the cornstarch slurry using balsamic vinegar instead of water. It worked like a charm. This grape balsamic compote was nice and thick and had a subtle savory tone from the balsamic. I added some toasted almond slivers to give it some texture and voila – I had created an AMAZING appetizer that was also purple.

The Baked Brie with Grape Balsamic Compote was a huge hit. And I’ve made it twice since the party. I used a goat milk brie wheel so that I could enjoy this appetizer. The goat milk wheels are 6 oz. I believe cow’s milk brie wheels come in 8 oz containers, but you should have enough compote using the recipe below.

I also wanted to share this trick about baking brie with you guys. I can’t remember where I learned this but Hubby was shocked when he saw me pop the “lid” off the brie after it had baked. Prior to baking your brie, use a sharp knife to cut around the top of the rind. You don’t want to cut it completely off, just cut about a 1/4 inch into the brie right under the top all the way around. While the brie is in the oven, the cheese will get all melty and gooey. Then when you take it out of the oven, you can just remove the top of the rind like so:

gGEKjp on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

Hope you guys have enjoyed all the purple food. As a reminder, here are the other foods I serves at my 1000th Post Party:

Two Years Ago: Homemade Oreos (again)
Three Years Ago: Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Four Years Ago: Dairy Free Mac and Cheese with Broccoli and Cauliflower

Print Save

Baked Brie with Grape Balsamic Compote

Fruit and cheese are such a classic combination. I used a 6 oz wheel of brie because I use goat milk brie. If you use an 8 oz wheel, bump up the ingredients of the compote a bit as well.

Yield: Serves 8

For the Compote
1 cup black seedless grapes
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

For the Brie
6 oz wheel of brie
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
crackers and/or toasted baguette for serving

For the Compote
Poke 2-3 holes in each of the grapes and place in a medium pan. Add the sugar and cook over medium heat. Use a potato masher to encourage the grapes to release their juices.

Combine the cornstarch and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.

Once the grapes have released most of their juices, stir in the slurry and boil for one minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

For the Brie
Preheat oven to 350.

Place brie round in a small oven-safe dish. Using a sharp knife, cut into the rind about 1/4" all the way around, just under the top of the brie. You don't want to cut the top completely off.

Bake 10 minutes.

Place dish onto a larger platter. Lift the top of the brie with a knife and remove. Spoon grape compote on top of brie. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Serve with baguette slices and crackers.

12 Responses to “Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’m like you and totally try out recipes based on photos! I think goat cheese and fruit are always a perfect combo. The goat cheesecake sounds intriguing!

Lauren — September 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Looks and sounds amazing! I’m totally with you about photos of food – they are typically what tempt me to make a recipe.

Amanda — September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This cake looks DELICIOUS!

I’d never heard of using goat cheese in a cheesecake, but I’m intrigued.

I, too, much prefer pictures. Sometimes you just don’t put the ingredients together in your head the right way and it comes out looking totally different than you expected. I also flip through the book faster and I tend to not find recipes unless there are pics!

Beeb — September 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i think trying something new without any idea what it should look like it rough. i love pictures but most cookbooks dont seem to have enough. i think thats why i love this blog so much, you take TONS! 🙂

i am very intrigued by this recipe. but i dont eat blueberries or peaches. is it good by itself? or is the fruit greatly needed??

Jen — September 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Beeb – It’s similar to any other cheesecake. It was good on it’s own, but the fruit really enhanced the flavor. Are there other fruits you like that you could top it with? Strawberries and blueberries would be great!

We Are Not Martha — September 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Oh yum! I totally want to try this. I love goat cheese (and fruit) and bet this would make an amazing cake!

I like photos too, but sometimes I get a little too into them. Like the other night when I forgot to add raisins to my cinnamon raisin bread because they weren’t in the photo 🙂

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I definitely prefer recipes with pictures but if a description is really good (or intriguing) or if an author points it out as a favorite… or lastly if it’s a source I trust, I go for it. With that said, I’m glad you made it and posted pictures. This cake looks (and sounds) absolutely fantastic!!!

flavourfulbounty — September 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This looks really good. I agree that sometimes I eat with my eyes. I love photos, but not the ones that look almost fake since they are so perfect. That’s why I love food blogs – usually it is just the food as it will be served.

I cook from a lot of different sources, and will try recipes that are appealing without any pics either. Sometimes it is more difficult when I am completely unfamiliar with the dish, though.

Ingrid — September 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

Photos! I love yours…the “cake” looks so pretty with it’s white lip and fruit piled high.

Cara — September 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sounds wonderful. I can see how it would be more of a “cheesecake” than a “cheese cake” because there’s such a small amount of flour. As we move into fall, I bet it would be delicious with a topping of figs sauteed with honey… mmm… honey figs and goat cheese!

Shannon — September 15, 2010 at 1:45 am

LOVE goat cheese cheesecake 🙂 peaches and blueberries seem like another good topper (i recently made one with figs and raspberries!)

Jay — February 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

i really have to bake that cake for my boyfriend who has a milk intolerance. thank you for posting this many recipes with goat cheese 🙂
    best wishes, jay, my blog: