Strawberry and Beer Sorbet

Want to make a pink treat for Valentine’s Day that isn’t just chocolatey or sugar-y and sweet with pink frosting? Then make this Strawberry and Beer Sorbet. Sure, it’s pink, but it tastes anything but girly.

Strawberry and Beer Sorbet

Since there are very few ingredients in this sorbet, you’re actually going to taste the beer, so choose something that you like. Preferably with a distinct flavor. I chose to use some Sam Adams Winter Lager that we had in the back of the fridge. It has a solid dark bock flavor with a hint of spiciness.

Strawberry and Beer Sorbet

Hubby and I were both surprised at how much we liked this sorbet. The combination of the beer flavor with the fresh strawberries and the sensation of eating sorbet is like nothing I’ve had before. This sorbet is perfect for Valentine’s Day, the Superbowl, or any other day of the year.

Strawberry and Beer Sorbet

I can’t wait to try this recipe with a variety of beer and fruit combinations. I love wheat beers and wheat beers tend to pair well with fruits. So be ready to see more variations of this to come. By the way, can you guys believe it is February already!?!

One Year Ago: How to Roast Garlic and Roasted Garlic Hummus
Two Years Ago: Peppermint Patty Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Four Years Ago: Pork Chops with Blue Cheese Gravy

Print Save

Strawberry and Beer Sorbet

This sorbet has a unique flavor to it since you can really taste the beer. Use your favorite beer!

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped

1 cup sugar

16 oz beer of your choice

Directions:

In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add the strawberries and the sugar. With a potato masher, mash and stir the strawberries until well macerated and combined with the sugar. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, stirring and mashing until all the strawberries have broken down, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place the strawberry mixture in the fridge until completely cool, at least 2 hours.

Remove strawberry mixture from fridge and stir in beer. Process in ice cream makes following manufacturers' instructions for 30-40 minutes until firm. Place in a freezer safe container and chill until ready to serve.

Recipe from The Beeroness

14 Responses to “Harry Potter Cupcakes”

clstar — August 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

OMG, I am in love with these cupcakes! They’re so awesome! I love HP, and I made owl cupcakes when the movie came out. I might need to give these a try before going to see the IMAX 3D movie.

thegreatpantryraid — August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

How cute are those?! And i was wondering how you got the lettering so perfect – thanks for the step-by-step. Lol – I just dragged DH to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry – I’m sure he’ll be happy when the final movie comes out and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore!

thecookingnurse — August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job, how lucky are your friends?

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’m so jealous! My two sisters are going to the exhibit this weekend. I thought about flying to Chicago to join them. Luckily I found out the exhibit is coming here in October. Whew!

Erin — August 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

These look fabulous! You did such a great job on them!

Katie — August 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

WOW JEN!! Those are fantastic!! Better than professional! Seriously, what talent you have to make those! 🙂

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Aw thanks Katie – you’re making me blush.

Ingrid — August 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate when cupcakes do that to me too. Instead of baking up they bake out! 🙁

Love your Harry Potter cupcake toppers! Very cute and creative!
    ~ingrid

Manda — August 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Jen! A friend of mine forwarded me your page for HP Cupcakes and I just wanted to drop in and say that I think they’re awesome and I want to run home now and try to create some fun hp themed cakes! I had done some in the past–cauldron cakes if you will, by buying mini cauldrons and cutting the bottom off so the tops sat just on the cakes and then used a bit of green frosting on the inside. You should join up with the HP-MA crew! We’ve been organizing some meet-ups for Boston Fans!

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Sounds awesome Manda.

nutmegnanny — August 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what adorable little cupcakes!

annieseats — August 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

So so cute! And yeah, those “HPs” must have taken FOREVER. I have a fabulous vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails me here: http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/18/vanilla-cupcakes/. Also, I recently made Dorie’s perfect party cake into cupcakes and had great results with that as well.

bcallegra — August 7, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love your HP cupcakes! I too am a huge Harry Potter fan but I have to admit, I don’t think I’d be patient enough to make cupcakes and toppings as cute as yours!

Karin — April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

These are so awesome!! I wish I would have seen them and did some of these with the HP cake I did!!