Strawberry, Avocado, Goat Cheese Sandwich

I love making sandwiches that have unique flavor combinations in them. This one might be my favorite. While it doesn’t have bacon, it does have the salty-tanginess of goat cheese, the sweetness of in-season ripe strawberries, and the creamy coolness of avocado.

Strawberry, Avocado, Goat Cheese Sandwich

I want to talk a few minutes about my new favorite cheese. Humboldt Fog has been making an appearance in my grocery cart on a regular basis since moving to Cincinnati (it was even the star ingredient to our low-key Superbowl snacking). Our local big-box grocery store has an AMAZING cheese counter. It rivals what I could get at Trader Joe’s back in Boston.

Strawberry, Avocado, Goat Cheese Sandwich

Due to my lactose intolerance, I love trying new goat and sheep milk cheeses, and this Humboldt Fog cheese has become my favorite. It paired so nicely with the other flavors in this sandwich. Hubby was definitely jealous that I made this one night when he was working late. But have no fear, this sandwich has been made a couple more times since then!

Strawberry, Avocado, Goat Cheese Sandwich

One Year Ago: Homemade Granola and Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Two Years Ago: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies and New York Style Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce
Three Years Ago: Oreo Pretzel Fudge and Oreo Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Four Years Ago: Brownie Pops
Five Years Ago: Baked Eggplant Chips

Print Save

Strawberry, Avocado, Goat Cheese Sandwich

No real recipe here, just building one amazing sandwich!

Yield: 1 sandwich

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

2 slices whole wheat bread
1/2 avocado
sea salt
4-5 strawberries, sliced
~1 oz goat cheese

Directions:

Place the bread slices in a grill pan set to med-high heat. Once they have toasted on the first side, flip over. Add the goat cheese to one of the slices. When the bread is fully toasted and the cheese is melted, remove bread from pan and place on plate or cutting board.

Mash avocado onto the other piece of toast and sprinkle with sea salt.

Add strawberry slices to both pieces of toast before pressing together to form a sandwich.

Cut sandwich in half and serve.

Inspired by edible perspective

9 Responses to “Strawberry Blueberry Jam”

yumventures — June 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Mmm I love jam, and this looks great for strawberry season! I unfortunately don’t like blueberries — would you adjust the other ingredients if you minus them? Also where do you get canning jars? Yay, fun summer project!

Jen — June 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

yumventures – You can def leave the blueberries out. Follow the link through to Ina’s original recipe. It doesn’t have blueberries in it. The comments on the Food Network website did say that it was a bit sweet with the sugar listed in the recipe, so keep that in mind.

Katherine — June 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I’ve never made homemade jam before…but wow this sure does look delicious!

It would be great in some thumbprint cookies or linzer cookies…yumm.

laurasrecipecollection.com — June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I’ve never had strawberry & blueberry jam before. That looks divine!

themilkmanswife — June 3, 2010 at 1:41 am

Oh, this looks wonderful! I’ve never made jam before but it’s on my list of things to try, this looks like the perfect way to get started. I love berry combos like this. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Does this recipe require pectin? I’ve heard that pectin is found naturally in raspberries so you don’t need it for that kind of jam, but wasn’t sure if it applied to strawberry as well. I am new to making jam but am excited to try!

Jen — June 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Sarah – This recipe does not require pectin.

Vickie — June 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hey there.. I have done your strawberry/blueberry jam, and I’m tellin ya,, it was sooooo goooood. Not too sweet either. My problem was, it never would really thicken, and I checked it on a saucer I kept in the freezer. It remained runny,, but ohh sooo good. I gave it away to family and they loved it. I’m just preparing to do more,, fingers crossed, I do hope it gets a little thicker this time. If I were to put the slightest amount of pectin I’m wondering what would happen?????? I noticed this posting is from 2010

• beantownbaker — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

I think a little bit of pectin could help thicken the jam. If you try it, I’d love to know how it turns out.