Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

I can barely keep up with all the fresh produce this time of year. With so many tempting recipes to highlight the tomatoes, peaches, berries, and corn, it makes me wish the month of August lasted for at least half the year.

The second I saw this recipe in my Food Network Magazine, I knew I’d be making it. I had most of the ingredients on hand, thanks (once again) to our CSA box. I also had some avocado in the fridge from a snack earlier in the week. So I obviously decided to add that to the sandwich. When does avocado make things worse? How about never.

As I mentioned the other day on Facebook, I always whip up homemade mayo this time of year for my tomato sandwiches. I loved the addition of basil and lemon to the sauce for this sandwich.

Like most sandwich recipes, if you don’t have all of these ingredients on hand, feel free to make this sandwich with substitutions. I’ve made it a couple times in the last few weeks using spinach instead of arugula, and once even left out the avocado.

One Year Ago: Egg, Avocado, and Apple Salad
Two Years Ago: Homemade Hamburger Buns and Chicken with Melon Salsa
Three Years Ago: Peanut Butter Brownies
Four Years Ago: Panzanella

Print Save

Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

Peach, Bacon, and Avocado make a surprisingly delicious combination in this summertime sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

For the Basil Sauce
1/4 cup packed basil
1 tsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp mayonnaise, homemade recommended
Salt and pepper

For the Sandwiches
4 pieces multi-grain bread, toasted
6-8 slices bacon, cooked
1 ripe peach, sliced
1 avocado, sliced

For the Basil Sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until completely combined.

For the Sandwiches
Spread basil sauce on two of the slices of bread. Spread the peaches over the sauce.

On the other two slices of bread, layer the avocado, bacon, and arugula.

Stack sandwich halves to make two sandwiches. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.

Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

17 Responses to “Rhubarb Rolls”

Ellie — May 21, 2009 at 1:48 pm

How cool! These look delicious!

Molly Jean — May 21, 2009 at 1:59 pm

This totally takes me back to childhood. We ALWAYS used fresh rhubarb from our backyard to make yummy breakfast treats!

I think I will have to make these for my parents next time they visit. They will LOVE them!

Holly — May 21, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Those look amazing! I’m always on the lookout for new rhubarb recipes, the season for it is so short in Western Ma, that I tend to buy WAY too much and stick in the freezer..

thecookingnurse — May 21, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I have never had rhubarb before, but these look great!

Kerstin — May 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm

They’re so pretty – I love family recipes!

Stephanie Wagner — May 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I never know what to do with Rhubard, but these looks awesome!

ttfn300 — May 22, 2009 at 12:35 am

divine. i want one. right now. pretty please?? 🙂

Mermaid Sweets — May 22, 2009 at 3:32 am

I love your recipes, lactose free and awesome, I will def. have to try this. Ps. we should team up and do something lactose free together in solidarity!

Jen — May 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Thanks everyone – seriously if you have rhubarb hanging around. Make these. You won’t regret it.

alexandjess — May 22, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I’m a little lost. The ingredients list mentions 5 c. rhubarb (and you break it into 3 c. for the filling and 2 c. for the sauce) but I don’t see in the step-by-step instructions when/where/how the 2 c. of rhubarb are used. Please help!

Jen — May 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm

alexandjess – thanks for catching my mistake. I added the instructions about the sauce into the post, but you make the sauce by boiling 2 cups cut rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/3 cups water. The rhubarb for the sauce can be cut in large chunks because it all falls apart anyways.

Nancy — May 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Your sisters made the rhubarb rolls and stuffed dates yesterday for our Memorial Day cookout. They were delicious!!!! Can’t wait to have another piece tonight for desert. I have a new recipe for potato salad that is delish….let me know if you want me to pass on.

natasha — June 12, 2009 at 3:35 am

i made these tonight and they went awry for a series of reasons that were my fault and won’t go all into…. one thing i did though was use half rhubarb and half strawberries, which sounded delish but i didn’t cut the sugar enough and i think that also made things more watery. my question though, is whether by ‘shortening’ you specifically mean something like crisco or whether you just mean butter or margarine or anything like that. i used butter and didn’t see how i could get away with a little ‘stirring’ before rolling. i tried to cut it in with a pastry blender, but in the end maybe that was too much action for the dough as it seemed a little gummy after cooking….

i’d appreciate any advice!

Jen — June 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm

natasha – I use Crisco for the dough. I think that’s what my dad always uses as well. Hopefully that is what caused the gumminess. Sorry they didn’t turn out for you.

GS — August 6, 2017 at 2:11 pm

My family has been making these for years. I have used butter or margarine to cut into the flour mixture for the dough and have never had a problem. I always roll my dough out into a rectangle and when I cut the rolls they NEVER look as neat as the ones you have pictured! I have added strawberries but only in the sauce. My mom liked to add red food coloring to make it look more rosy. We bake for 20 minutes before pouring on the sauce and then another 20 minutes. I have to make it every spring in honor of my mom.

dev — September 12, 2017 at 11:07 pm

my grandma recipe calls thesr soringtime rollypoly, and can ad what ever frozen berries you have , frozen is the least messy

dev — September 12, 2017 at 11:08 pm