Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

I can barely keep up with all the fresh produce this time of year. With so many tempting recipes to highlight the tomatoes, peaches, berries, and corn, it makes me wish the month of August lasted for at least half the year.

The second I saw this recipe in my Food Network Magazine, I knew I’d be making it. I had most of the ingredients on hand, thanks (once again) to our CSA box. I also had some avocado in the fridge from a snack earlier in the week. So I obviously decided to add that to the sandwich. When does avocado make things worse? How about never.

As I mentioned the other day on Facebook, I always whip up homemade mayo this time of year for my tomato sandwiches. I loved the addition of basil and lemon to the sauce for this sandwich.

Like most sandwich recipes, if you don’t have all of these ingredients on hand, feel free to make this sandwich with substitutions. I’ve made it a couple times in the last few weeks using spinach instead of arugula, and once even left out the avocado.

One Year Ago: Egg, Avocado, and Apple Salad
Two Years Ago: Homemade Hamburger Buns and Chicken with Melon Salsa
Three Years Ago: Peanut Butter Brownies
Four Years Ago: Panzanella

Print Save

Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

Peach, Bacon, and Avocado make a surprisingly delicious combination in this summertime sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

6-8 slices bacon, cooked
1 ripe peach, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
Arugula

Directions:

For the Basil Sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until completely combined.

For the Sandwiches
Spread basil sauce on two of the slices of bread. Spread the peaches over the sauce.

On the other two slices of bread, layer the avocado, bacon, and arugula.

Stack sandwich halves to make two sandwiches. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.

Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

10 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Pie”

Lauren — June 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

Fantastic job with the lattice top! The pie looks awesome :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — June 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

It does look really pretty. I’ve never had the patience to do a lattice top. It sounds delicious!

Sherry G — June 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’m furious with myself for still never having a rhubarb pie! This is truly a good looking pie; very rustic and pretty!

bcallegra — June 30, 2010 at 1:43 am

Truly a work of art! I’m kind of intimidated by pies so I’m in awe of your pie making skills. That pie looks like it’s ready for a magazine cover! 🙂

nutmegnanny — June 30, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites 🙂

Jen — July 3, 2010 at 1:21 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Mine is in the oven as I type. Hopefully, it comes out half as good as yours!

Jenni @ Project Cookie 365 — July 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just have to thank you for this recipe!! It’s the first time I’ve made a pie that wasn’t all runny when cut. I was so happy to have pieces that stayed intact!!
    Also, I didn’t need the foil at any point – the crust didn’t overbrown, it was just perfect.
    I’ll be using this again and again!

Victoria — March 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

can i omit rhubarb and just put strawberries? will it make a difference?

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I haven’t tried using this recipe with just strawberries. You might want to cut back on some of the sugar. Rhubarb is very tart, so you always have to put a lot of sugar into rhubarb recipes.

Brian — February 6, 2018 at 7:51 am

ahh, i can already hear the crunchy sound in my mouth!