Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

I can barely keep up with all the fresh produce this time of year. With so many tempting recipes to highlight the tomatoes, peaches, berries, and corn, it makes me wish the month of August lasted for at least half the year.

The second I saw this recipe in my Food Network Magazine, I knew I’d be making it. I had most of the ingredients on hand, thanks (once again) to our CSA box. I also had some avocado in the fridge from a snack earlier in the week. So I obviously decided to add that to the sandwich. When does avocado make things worse? How about never.

As I mentioned the other day on Facebook, I always whip up homemade mayo this time of year for my tomato sandwiches. I loved the addition of basil and lemon to the sauce for this sandwich.

Like most sandwich recipes, if you don’t have all of these ingredients on hand, feel free to make this sandwich with substitutions. I’ve made it a couple times in the last few weeks using spinach instead of arugula, and once even left out the avocado.

One Year Ago: Egg, Avocado, and Apple Salad
Two Years Ago: Homemade Hamburger Buns and Chicken with Melon Salsa
Three Years Ago: Peanut Butter Brownies
Four Years Ago: Panzanella

Print Save

Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

Peach, Bacon, and Avocado make a surprisingly delicious combination in this summertime sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

6-8 slices bacon, cooked
1 ripe peach, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
Arugula

Directions:

For the Basil Sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until completely combined.

For the Sandwiches
Spread basil sauce on two of the slices of bread. Spread the peaches over the sauce.

On the other two slices of bread, layer the avocado, bacon, and arugula.

Stack sandwich halves to make two sandwiches. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.

Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.