Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

I can barely keep up with all the fresh produce this time of year. With so many tempting recipes to highlight the tomatoes, peaches, berries, and corn, it makes me wish the month of August lasted for at least half the year.

The second I saw this recipe in my Food Network Magazine, I knew I’d be making it. I had most of the ingredients on hand, thanks (once again) to our CSA box. I also had some avocado in the fridge from a snack earlier in the week. So I obviously decided to add that to the sandwich. When does avocado make things worse? How about never.

As I mentioned the other day on Facebook, I always whip up homemade mayo this time of year for my tomato sandwiches. I loved the addition of basil and lemon to the sauce for this sandwich.

Like most sandwich recipes, if you don’t have all of these ingredients on hand, feel free to make this sandwich with substitutions. I’ve made it a couple times in the last few weeks using spinach instead of arugula, and once even left out the avocado.

One Year Ago: Egg, Avocado, and Apple Salad
Two Years Ago: Homemade Hamburger Buns and Chicken with Melon Salsa
Three Years Ago: Peanut Butter Brownies
Four Years Ago: Panzanella

Print Save

Peach, Bacon, Avocado Sandwich

Peach, Bacon, and Avocado make a surprisingly delicious combination in this summertime sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

6-8 slices bacon, cooked
1 ripe peach, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
Arugula

Directions:

For the Basil Sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until completely combined.

For the Sandwiches
Spread basil sauce on two of the slices of bread. Spread the peaches over the sauce.

On the other two slices of bread, layer the avocado, bacon, and arugula.

Stack sandwich halves to make two sandwiches. Slice each sandwich in half and serve.

Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

12 Responses to “Homemade “Instant” Pancake Mix and Blueberry Pancakes”

Sara — April 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

These pancakes look perfect! I don’t make pancakes that often, but this mix would be an easy throw together to keep in the freezer. Yum!

Amy Kingman — April 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Great idea to freeze the mix. I have been making our pancake batter from scratch for a while now, and it’s nearly impossible to go back to the boxed stuff! They just taste flavorless and cardboard-y. I had been reluctant to make mix ahead of time because I didn’t want it to go bad. Thanks for the idea!

Lauren — April 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

What a great idea to have a homemade pancake mix on hand!

Nancy — April 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm

A good substitute for buttermilk – since most of us don’t keep it on hand, but do have milk in the fridge:

1 TBS white vinegar with enough milk added to make 1 cup. Allowed to sit for at least ten minutes, this mixture will clot up and mimic buttermilk sufficiently for most recipes.

Memória — April 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Those pancakes look amazing!! Oh my goodness.

i think it is a great idea about freezing milk, too. I buy whole milk for baking only so I need to do that.

SimplySweeter — April 2, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Wow. Those look so good I might have to whip some up…..like…NOW.

Jen — April 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar in the substitute for buttermilk provided by Nancy.

One thing to note about this recipe though. Not only is the buttermilk needed for the chemical reaction, but it also provides a great flavor to the pancakes that I don’t think you get from using the substitute. Also, buttermilk will keep for a very long time in the fridge since it’s acidic.

AB mentioned in his cookbook that there are only four thinks he will not make without buttermilk: cornbread, biscuits, waffles, and pancakes. I tend to agree with him.

Kelly — April 3, 2010 at 1:24 am

What a great idea to make your own pancake mix and then when you want quick pancakes, you can have a healthy mix 🙂

Kerstin — April 3, 2010 at 3:33 am

Mmm, these look way better than a mix! Great tip to store the mix in the freezer too!

Sugar Bananas — April 6, 2010 at 1:04 am

Yum! I love blueberry ‘anything’. Alton Brown recipes are always winners. If you’re looking for an even healthier pancake recipe, check out my ‘fluffy whole wheat pancakes’ on my blog. I mix batches of the dry ingredients and keep them in the freezer. Thanks for posting – I’m off to buy some blueberries! Oh, and I’m a new follower 🙂

Memória — April 9, 2010 at 8:20 am

These pancakes look amazing!! Bookmarked!

Ashley — July 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Hey Jen I am eating these pancakes at this very moment. They are so fluffy and filling! May I borrow this recipe for my blog and link it back to you??