Baked Eggplant chips

This week’s Vindicate the Vegetable is eggplant. I’ve never actually bought eggplant or cooked with it before. I found quite a few recipes that sounded good (including my mother-in-law’s eggplant-Parmesan) but decided on these baked chips. I bought two baby eggplant instead of one big one.
My mother-in-law said to pick an eggplant that was long and skinny instead of fat. She said the fat ones have more seeds and the skinny ones are more “meaty” These chips went great with our turkey meatball subs and were very easy to make. We’ll definitely make these again!
Eggplant Chips – adapted from The Foodie Fashionista (originally from Cooking Light)
1 medium zucchini – I used 2 baby eggplant
1 Tbsp Kraft Free Italian Salad Dressing
1/8 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice zucchini (eggplant) into 1/4″ slices. Toss in bowl with Italian dressing.

Mix breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl and dredge coated zucchini slices through mixture. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and lay zucchini (eggplant) flat.

Bake for 20 minutes, flipping chips once halfway through. After 20 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven and turn broiler on high. Broil on each side for 2-3 minutes. Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.

Yields 2 servings.

Note: Definitely be sure to keep the slices at least 1/4″ thick.

13 Responses to “Homemade Green Bean Casserole”

Cathy B. @ Brightbakes — December 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

wow..great to see a green bean casserole with ingredients that are actually found in nature! 🙂 thank you!
    love,
    cathy b.

Carolyn — December 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I think this homemade version has to beat the pants off the one with canned mushroom soup. I mean, with portobellos and shitakes? Yes please!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’ve only tried the “classic” green bean casserole for the first time like a month ago and I’m definitely recreating it this weekend – cream of mushroom and all! Yours, however, looks gourmet and unprocessed!

Sinful Sundays — December 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i’ve never had Green Bean casserole and want to try it so badly! I may just make the processed version to see how it tastes. Yours looks way more fabulous than I could probably ever get mine to be!

Boston Food Diary — December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yummmmm- well done in getting rid of the processed sections and going for the natural approach!!!! Looks delicious!

Melissa — December 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never had green bean casserole but this makes me want to try it! Yours looks really good.

stephchows — December 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm

home made green bean casserole! I didn’t know it was possible! 🙂 Personally I’m in the hate category… but I’d be willing to try this version 🙂

Shannon — December 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

definitely looks better than the “traditional” version!!

Shannon — December 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oooh, I am so excited about this! A friend requested green bean casserole for a small holiday party that I’m hosting, but I really, really didn’t want to make the regular version of it. This is perfect!

sabjimata — December 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm

everything’s better homemade!

Lulu — December 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This sounds like a very useful veggie side dish come the post-Xmas dinners. I did notice recently that oriental shops also sell roasted shredded crispy onions, if you find yourself very short of time one day (they are not expensive).

Stella — November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Definitely the best green casserole recipe! I’ve been making Alton s recipe for years.

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 5:51 pm