Baked Eggplant chips

This week’s Vindicate the Vegetable is eggplant. I’ve never actually bought eggplant or cooked with it before. I found quite a few recipes that sounded good (including my mother-in-law’s eggplant-Parmesan) but decided on these baked chips. I bought two baby eggplant instead of one big one.
My mother-in-law said to pick an eggplant that was long and skinny instead of fat. She said the fat ones have more seeds and the skinny ones are more “meaty” These chips went great with our turkey meatball subs and were very easy to make. We’ll definitely make these again!
Eggplant Chips – adapted from The Foodie Fashionista (originally from Cooking Light)
1 medium zucchini – I used 2 baby eggplant
1 Tbsp Kraft Free Italian Salad Dressing
1/8 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice zucchini (eggplant) into 1/4″ slices. Toss in bowl with Italian dressing.

Mix breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl and dredge coated zucchini slices through mixture. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and lay zucchini (eggplant) flat.

Bake for 20 minutes, flipping chips once halfway through. After 20 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven and turn broiler on high. Broil on each side for 2-3 minutes. Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.

Yields 2 servings.

Note: Definitely be sure to keep the slices at least 1/4″ thick.

7 Responses to “Raw Summer Vegetable “Pasta””

Daisy — September 23, 2010 at 12:25 am

This looks delicious! I love that you guys plowed through it as an afternoon snack!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 23, 2010 at 12:30 am

I love using veggies as a healthy substitute for pasta. My favorite is a little more obvious – spaghetti squash!

Also, I got your DM about the photo. I’ve been crazy busy but I’ll email it to everyone tonight!

nutmegnanny — September 23, 2010 at 1:11 am

What a great salad! It’s perfect for saying goodbye to summer 🙂

A Bitchin' Kitchen — September 23, 2010 at 3:09 am

This looks so good! Yummy produce is really the only thing I’ll miss about summer time. I came across your site earlier today while searching for a pumpkin spice cheesecake brownie recipe (which I plan on making tomorrow btw). You have some great recipes and I’ll definitely be returning!

Lisa — September 23, 2010 at 4:50 am

What a great vegetarian dish. With all those gorgeous colors it’s a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate.

Eliana — September 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What a gorgeous dish. It looks super delicious too.

The Small Boston Kitchen — September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

YUM! Great way to (healthily) soak up the last bits of summer flavors! Looks great…