Baked Eggplant chips

This week’s Vindicate the Vegetable is eggplant. I’ve never actually bought eggplant or cooked with it before. I found quite a few recipes that sounded good (including my mother-in-law’s eggplant-Parmesan) but decided on these baked chips. I bought two baby eggplant instead of one big one.
My mother-in-law said to pick an eggplant that was long and skinny instead of fat. She said the fat ones have more seeds and the skinny ones are more “meaty” These chips went great with our turkey meatball subs and were very easy to make. We’ll definitely make these again!
Eggplant Chips – adapted from The Foodie Fashionista (originally from Cooking Light)
1 medium zucchini – I used 2 baby eggplant
1 Tbsp Kraft Free Italian Salad Dressing
1/8 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice zucchini (eggplant) into 1/4″ slices. Toss in bowl with Italian dressing.

Mix breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl and dredge coated zucchini slices through mixture. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and lay zucchini (eggplant) flat.

Bake for 20 minutes, flipping chips once halfway through. After 20 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven and turn broiler on high. Broil on each side for 2-3 minutes. Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.

Yields 2 servings.

Note: Definitely be sure to keep the slices at least 1/4″ thick.

10 Responses to “Roasted Beets, Turnips, and Carrots”

SHERRY MURPHY — February 7, 2013 at 5:40 am

fig vinegar? i am assuming this is the balsamic vinegar?

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:34 am

I fixed the recipe to be consistent. Any dark flavored vinegar that you enjoy would be perfect in this recipe.

Hani@haniela's — February 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This dish sounds delicious, I love roasting veggies.

• beantownbaker — February 8th, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Me too. In fact it’s pretty much the only way I prepare veggies…

Liz @ EatingPlaces — February 10, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love roasted veggies, especially beets! Looks beautiful.

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2013 @ 11:21 am

Beets are one of my favorites too. Can you believe I had never had one until a couple years ago?!?

Mike — October 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I used 4 tbs butter and 4 tbs olive oil.
    Tossed vegatables, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, 2 tsp or so dry sage and 2 tsp or so dry rosemary in large bowl and then spread on two baking sheets.
    Roasted for 30 minutes and then rotated cooking sheets in oven and roasted for another 30 minutes. No stirring required

Added 4 smoked Polish sausages cut into 1″ pieces for last 30 minutes.

Next time I will line cooking sheets with foil to make cleanup simpler.

A real keeper!!

• beantownbaker — October 28th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

What a great addition with the sausages!!

Zanne — March 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I had a beet that was wasting away in the fridge and a lonely turnip too. So I added them and 2 large carrots, all peeled and chunked, into a baking dish. Topped with 2 Tbsp sliced butter, coated with 2 tsp dried sage, half tsp rosemary, salt & pepper. After 1 hour in the oven, stirred, splashed with apple cider vinegar, and served. Very satisfying, and a nice accompaniment to roast chicken. Thanks for sharing!