Avocado Chocolate Ganache Mousse

Avocados bring a rich creaminess to this thick chocolate ganache-like mousse.

Avocado Ganache Mousse

Making mousse with avocados is nothing new and whoever thought of it first is brilliant. The creaminess of the avocado lends itself perfectly to making a rich thick mousse. It feels like you’re indulging even though you’re really not.

Avocado Ganache Mousse

Now I’m not saying this mousse is a health food. I’m just saying it’s better for you than other chocolate mousse recipes. And the texture is more like a really thick ganache. Which is awesome if you ask me. Hubby wasn’t a fan. He loves the light fluffiness of his mom’s chocolate mousse better. Guess that just means more of this mousse for me!

Avocado Ganache Mousse

I topped my mousse with some slivered almonds. I like the nice crunch. It’s also really good with whipped cream or fresh fruit. I had fun with the mousse and portioned it in to differently shaped bowls to add some flare to the dish. No matter what you serve this in, it’s sure to be a hit.

Avocado Ganache Mousse

Two Years Ago: Hot Chocolate Cookies and Broccoli and Fruit Salad
Three Years Ago: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and How to Freeze Cinnamon Rolls and Indian Spiced Beans
Four Years Ago: Kitchen Before and After Pics and Cranberry, Caramelized Onion, and Goat Cheese Dip
Six Years Ago: Cake Balls, Oreo Truffles, and Peanut Butter Balls and Vegan Brownies

Print Save

Avocado Chocolate Ganache Mousse

Avocados bring a rich creaminess to this thick chocolate ganache-like mousse.

Yield: Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

2 just ripe avocados
6 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
heaping 1/2 cup cocoa
slivered almonds or other nut, for garnish

Directions:

Place all ingredients, except your garnish, in the bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth.

Spoon in to small serving bowls. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.

Sprinkle almonds on top of mousse and serve.

Recipe adapted from A Splash of Vanilla

17 Responses to “M&M Cookies to Celebrate Valentine’s Day”

Carrie — February 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I love freezing dough but somehow most ends up in my tummy unbaked when I do that ๐Ÿ™‚

oneordinaryday — February 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm

What a great gift! I’m thinking that would be wonderful for all sorts of occasions. Thanks for the idea!

Carly — February 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

These are adorable and I love that idea! Two questions, though: 1) Were these as good as the cookies from the other recipes? and 2) When you freeze them, do you bake right from frozen?

Jen — February 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Great questions Carly – As far as comparing them to the other cookies. I enjoyed the chocolate M&M cookies the best, but they were REALLY chocolatey. The other non-chocolate M&M cookies were a bit more chewy and they had nuts in them, so they had a different vibe. This recipe was more of a classic M&M cookie for sure.

As far as baking from frozen, you can def just go straight from freezer to oven. Bake them ~13 minutes instead of ~11 and take them out when they look done.

Cara — February 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm

these were delicious!

stephchows — February 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm

they look so cute all frozen up ๐Ÿ™‚

Leanne — February 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I love the pink and red M&Ms. Thanks for the idea of freezing the cookie dough.

Memรณria — February 12, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I was going to ask you the same thing as Carly, well the first question. These cookies are cute. Your freezing method reminded me that I have a bunch of sugar cookies still in the freezer! Do you know how long cookies can stay in the freezer?

Jen — February 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I don’t know how long they will last in the freezer. I have a tendency to forget about things in my freezer… I’d guess a couple months? Anyone have ideas?

nutmegnanny — February 12, 2010 at 9:43 pm

What festive little cookies ๐Ÿ™‚ I love them! I also like the fact that you froze them. I bet they were delicious. Make sure to enter the All Through the Year Cheer event for Valentine’s Day ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie — February 13, 2010 at 4:49 am

I think that sounds like a great way to spend valentine’s day. It can be intimidating the way it’s so hyped up. The cookies look very festive, love ’em!

Vivian - Let's Try These... — February 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm

We don’t do “valentine’s day” either since my MIL was born on the 14th and daughter’s birthday is the 15th – besides, its more important to say you love someone everyday, not just one day out of the year. Love the idea about freezing the cookie dough in preshaped form and giving that away. Wonderful idea!

Deborah Dowd — February 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I am looking for cookies that travel well for my soldier adopted through Soldier’s Angels and these look like a winner!!

Kerstin — February 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Mmm, these were so tasty! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) — February 16, 2010 at 9:54 pm

These are just too cute!! I love M&M cookies too!!

bcallegra — February 17, 2010 at 1:13 am

Just had to add my two cents on the idea of giving cookie dough frozen and ready to be baked – genius! For some reason, I’ve never thought of that, even though I’ve given cookies frozen to people to be defrosted when they’re ready to eat. I love the dough idea!

Megan — February 20, 2010 at 2:16 am

YUM-these look absolutely delicious! I love the pink and red M&Ms!