Chocolate Mousse

Hubby claims he’s not a big dessert guy. Or a big chocolate guy. I have a hard time believing that because no matter what I bake, he always wants a bite. But even after everything I’ve made, this chocolate mousse is one of his favorites of all time. We literally have to hide the bowl so there is enough to share with others.

Hubby’s mom makes this for every holiday that we’re home. I’ve never tried to make this, but she gave me the recipe and permission to post it on here (thanks N!)

This mousse is best the day it’s made. If you need to make it in advance, be sure to give it a good stir prior to serving.

Print Save

Chocolate Mousse

Yield: ~20 servings

Ingredients:

6 eggs, at room temp, washed with soap and water, 5 separated, 1 slightly beaten
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 lb chocolate
1/3 c powdered sugar

Directions:

Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, beat the 5 egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, whip cream with powdered sugar.

In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate. Add the beaten egg and mix together. Beat in the egg yolks of the 5 separated eggs. Mix chocolate mixture together with whipped cream. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Note, if using white chocolate, it needs to be melted with some liquor, milk, or cream.

Recipe from Hubby's mom

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

18 Responses to “Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream”

steph@stephsbitebybite — June 24, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh my word!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Pass me a spoon! This sounds amazing, Jen!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 24, 2013 at 8:23 am

I need this ice cream right now!

Sues — June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I absolutely love cookie dough ice cream and this looks like a fabulous one! I love your bowls, too 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Thanks! They’re from Pier 1.

Katie B. — June 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Wow… I’m not a cookie dough ice cream fan for the same reason, but this is amazing. How much do you think the coconut milk plays in the flavor?

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

I personally don’t find coconut milk very coconuty. I know some people do. I think you could use the cow’s milk varieties in the recipe and it would taste similar. I just have to use the coconut milk since i can’t eat cow’s milk.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 27, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love this! Ice cream has to be my favorite dessert, this looks amazing 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I made this recipe from Tracey a couple of weeks ago too (I haven’t post about it yet) – so good!!!

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Isn’t it? It’s definitely one of my favorite ice cream recipes to date!

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — June 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

This sounds delicious! I’m with you–regular cookie dough ice cream is a snooze. (Unless I’m sharing a pint with someone who doesn’t mind if I go through and pick out all the goodies–but let’s be real–everyone minds!) I’ll have to try this variation–it sounds like the perfect solution!

• beantownbaker — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I agree completely – everyone does mind!

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) — July 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

This looks amazing!!! We would love it if you would link up at our We Scream For Ice Cream linky party/giveaway:
    Live the whole month of July.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Thanks for the link!

Melissa — July 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

Cookie dough ice cream is my favorite and this recipe makes me want to buy an ice cream maker immediately! Which kind do you recommend?

• beantownbaker — July 6th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I have the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. If you don’t have a Kitchenaid mixer, I’ve heard good things about the Cuisinart ice cream maker.

Kristen — March 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never made cookie dough ice cream but am wanting to try this one. Is there a way to substitute the egg yolks or leave it out?

Thanks!

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I would assume you could find a Philadelphia style ice cream recipe to use as the base with some brown sugar in it to give it more of a cookie dough taste. I wouldn’t recommend just leaving them out of this specific recipe though.