Broccoli and Fruit Salad

It’s that time of year where everyone is eating healthy to keep up with their resolutions. I wasn’t planning to jump on the bandwagon, but when I saw this recipe the other day, I had to make it. It was so colorful and chock full of some of my favorite fruits.

Even when I was mixing it together, I figured I wouldn’t even share it with you guys. I mean, this is a baking blog. I’m not really known for posting healthy recipes on here. But once I put it into the the bowl, it was so beautiful I just had to take a picture of it. And after that first bite, I knew I had to share it with you guys. It’s delicious.

I have a feeling I’ll be eating this salad year-round. I went heavy on the ingredients I love and lighter on the ones I’m not crazy about.

Print Save

Broccoli and Fruit Salad

Yield: Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

2 small bunches broccoli
3 tangerines
1 pomegranate, seeded
1/4 cup shaved or thinly sliced fennel
1 avocado, sliced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions:

Blanch broccoli by adding it to boiled water. After two minutes, submerse broccoli into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.

Peel two of tangerines, separate the segments, and cut them in half. Place the tangerines, broccoli, pomegranate seeds, fennel, avocado, and almonds into a medium bowl.

Drizzle olive oil and juice of the last tangerine over salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Recipe adapted from Yummy Mummy Kitchen

14 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes”

ttfn300 — May 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

these look so fun! i, too, am LI, but i carry lactaid with me everywhere… and jp licks makes a lactose free flavor 🙂

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

Lactaid is my best friend. I have spare pills in the car, in Hubby’s wallet, in my purse and desk. Can’t ever be too prepared! I have had their lactose free flavors and they’re quite tasty. I wish they had more than one a month though!

Sam — May 27, 2009 at 2:43 am

Ooooh. This looks too good. I’m gonna have to try that.

Stef — May 27, 2009 at 4:23 am

I love the idea of using the cone method for ice cream cupcakes. I hadn’t thought of that. That strawberry down the middle of the cupcake is so perfect! I’m so glad you entered again!

gaga — May 27, 2009 at 5:36 am

I wouldn’t be able to live without ice cream! Your cupcakes are beautiful. Good luck in the competition!!!

Ingrid — May 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

They look pretty! Love the photo of the cross section where you can see the strawberry.
    ~ingrid

Vegiegail — May 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Those cupcakes look scrumptious! Oh, and you’ve gotta try Purely Decadent made with Coconut Milk Ice Cream! It’s rich and creamy, a lot like gelatto!

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Vegiegail – I’ll have to check that out.

Sara — June 1, 2009 at 11:25 pm

So cute! These are so pretty with the strawberry in the middle and they look delicious.

paru's_circle — June 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

voted for your strawberry one..good luck!

Bethany — June 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

gorgeous. love the inset strawberry. love the Neapolitan theme.

bethany@scoopalicious

Shoshana — June 12, 2009 at 4:46 am

I agree with you about the non-dairy ice creams available in stores. However, If you have an ice cream maker vegan chick-0-stick ice cream is unbelievably rich, creamy and delicious.

Here is the recipe http://couldntbeparve.blogspot.com/2008/09/chick-o-stick-ice-cream_04.html

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hey, these cupcakes sound awesome! I use to be Lactose Int., but I found the best cure ever & seriously have been L.I. cured for 7 years. I could not give up my dairy & use to take 3 Lactaid every time I ate.I heard about “Lactogen” on the radio on the way home from a trip. I would do anything to get rid of my L.I. so it was $90.00 at the time so I said what the heck I spent $200.00 a year on Lactaid. I was floored that it worked & 7 years later still no signs. I drink milk every morning, cheese everyday, & ice cream when ever. It retrains your body to except lactose, so for 42 days while you take it (a mix to drink with water) you have to stay away from all dairy & anything with dairy in it. I just went to the health food store during that time. I am sure you can find it on the web. Lactogen is the name

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This is my second post, it erased my first. But for all you suffering with Lactose Int. try Lactogen it really works I have been cured for going on 7 years now. It was only $90.00 when I tried it & I was spending $200 a year on Lactaid at the time. I now can drink milk every morning, & eat cheese every day & ice cream when ever. It is not an on going thing you take it once for 43 days & that is it.