Broccoli and Fruit Salad

It’s that time of year where everyone is eating healthy to keep up with their resolutions. I wasn’t planning to jump on the bandwagon, but when I saw this recipe the other day, I had to make it. It was so colorful and chock full of some of my favorite fruits.

Even when I was mixing it together, I figured I wouldn’t even share it with you guys. I mean, this is a baking blog. I’m not really known for posting healthy recipes on here. But once I put it into the the bowl, it was so beautiful I just had to take a picture of it. And after that first bite, I knew I had to share it with you guys. It’s delicious.

I have a feeling I’ll be eating this salad year-round. I went heavy on the ingredients I love and lighter on the ones I’m not crazy about.

Print Save

Broccoli and Fruit Salad

Yield: Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

2 small bunches broccoli
3 tangerines
1 pomegranate, seeded
1/4 cup shaved or thinly sliced fennel
1 avocado, sliced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions:

Blanch broccoli by adding it to boiled water. After two minutes, submerse broccoli into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.

Peel two of tangerines, separate the segments, and cut them in half. Place the tangerines, broccoli, pomegranate seeds, fennel, avocado, and almonds into a medium bowl.

Drizzle olive oil and juice of the last tangerine over salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Recipe adapted from Yummy Mummy Kitchen

8 Responses to “Creamy Red Pepper and Collard Greens Dip”

Ashley — January 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This sounds like a tasty dip, and I love that it’s so colorful! I can definitely relate – I’m not into the Superbowl game this year (we recently moved, too, and I prefer college football), but I am ALL about the food!

• beantownbaker — January 25th, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

Were you guys moving during the holidays? We moved into our apartment on 12/21. It was rough… Even when it’s teams that I like, it’s still mostly about the food 🙂

Shannon — January 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

i do love football food, and i’ve been meaning to try my hand at collard greens 😉

Ashley — January 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

We didn’t move as recently as you! We made our move in October…and I’m just starting to feel settled. It is rough… Of course, the kitchen was the first room put together!

Lori — January 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Approximately how much collard greens do you need? Can you use canned? This sounds terrific…like a soul food dip!

• beantownbaker — January 27th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Sorry about that. Missed a key ingredient in the recipe. I updated it now. I used a pound of fresh collard greens. I haven’t tried it with canned. Let me know how it goes if you do.

Megan — January 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I’m so not into the Super Bowl this year either, but I can always get behind some football food. I’m still trying to decide what to make for next weekend. This dip sounds so good!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

YUM! I’ve never seen collards in a dip before.