Our Thanksgiving Menu 2013

Ok I’ve been talking a LOT about Thanksgiving these last couple of weeks. I thought I’d share with you guys what our final menu is looking like. It’s got all the classics and a few extras just for fun. Our plan is to eat around 2pm and then have dessert, coffee, and leftovers later in the evening.

For beverages, I’m doing champagne, red wine, and a selection of beers. Oh and something for the people who aren’t drinking. In our family, that just means the kids under 21… So I still need to figure that out.

Deviled Eggs

For appetizers, I’m keeping it simple. Don’t want people filling up on food before the main event. Hubby loves, deviled eggs, so we’ll just be having those.

Homemade Green Bean Casserole

For the meal, we’re doing the following:
Rolls from the Beef House in Indiana
Seven Layer Salad
Brined and Roasted Turkey
Fig and Port Cranberry Sauce
Sausage, Kale, and Butternut Squash Stuffing
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Turnip Puff
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
Homemade Gravy (made by Hubby’s step-father)
Crockpot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Mustard Maple Brussels Sprouts

Pecan Pie Cookies

And for dessert, I’m still finalizing things, but these are definitely on the menu
Depths of Fall Pie
Chocolate Mousse
Pecan Pie Cookies
Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake
Pumpkin Pie (again, by Hubby’s step-father)
Freshly whipped cream
A variety of homemade ice creams, still TBD

I’d love to hear what you’re making for Thanksgiving. Especially when it comes to desserts. I’m definitely not afraid to try new desserts and some of the desserts I have planned are negotiable (others are not!)

21 Responses to “Coconut Almond Cake with Blackberry Lime Curd”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am really very terrible at frosting/decorating cake :\ This came out way better than anything I could make!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Ha – I’m pretty bad too. That’s why I love putting stuff on the sides. Coconut does a good job of hiding my sloppy decorating skills.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Coconut and almond, you’ve already got me reeled in 🙂 two of my favorite flavors rolled into what looks like a moist, fluffy cake. YUM

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board — March 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and the texture is perfect! I love curd as a filling between cake layers but i never knew the trick for preventing it from seeping out – thanks!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Yea, it’s definitely very helpful. Even more so when you ACTUALLY do it 😉

Megan — March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

We’ve all had those cake experiences. It looks like it turned out well in the end! And it sounds delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in thinking we all need to project that all of our baking/cooking endeavors are hugely successful…

Ashley — March 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Regardless of any kitchen mishaps, this cake looks divine! Layer cakes always look so special, and the addition of fruit here makes me swooooon!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I agree. Layer cakes always look special 🙂

Michelle — March 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh this looks amazing. And aren’t we all our own worst critics when we bake? I can’t tell you how many times I say something is terrible and my husband looks as me like I’m crazy.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, it tasted delicious and no one knew about all the issues I had with the cake. I did want to keep it real on the blog and not give anyone any false sense that things are always easy for me…

Erica @ In and Around Town — March 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I always shy away from layer cakes – yours always come out well, I need some more practice I think! Your “mistakes” are great learning points – did not know about the frosting damn, but it makes so much sense!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about them. I definitely could have posted about this cake without mentioning any of the issues I had. I’m hoping they’ll help someone (myself included) to learn something for the next time they tackle a layer cake. Yours will definitely improve with practice. Mine surely are. I really want to make that coconut cake you just posted!

Shannon — March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i’m always hard on myself too, but you wouldn’t know by the taste i’m sure! looks absolutely wonderful, not to mention i’m drooling over the flavor combo 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree, I think we all are. I wanted to keep it real with this post in case anyone else found it to be a difficult set of recipes…

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yum, your cake looks so delicious and I really love the sound of the blackberry lime curd!

Laura Dembowski — April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love coconut cake, and blackberries are my favorite fruit. Such a great idea to put them together. This cake is gorgeous! I would happily take a large slice . . . or maybe the whole thing 😉

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Then you would definitely love this cake!

Kristina Koranek — August 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Could anyone post the blackberry lime curd recipe? The link is no longer working.

Thanks!