Deviled Eggs

Hubby LOVES Deviled Eggs. Honestly, loves them. Whenever we make them for get togethers, I have to hide the fact that they’re being made until right before people arrive so he doesn’t eat them all. Sometimes, when he’s stressed, I’ll whip up 2 or 3 eggs worth for him and he starts smiling instantly.

Deviled Eggs are such a classic appetizer and I know a lot of people have their own family recipes for making them. I learned from my mom and I really just throw things together and taste as I go. But when I set out to make our Family Cookbook, I forced myself to use measuring spoons and write it up as a recipe. I even posted these, over 4 years ago, but didn’t have measurements in that recipe.

One last note about Deviled Eggs. If you are like me and don’t have one of those special egg plates to serve your eggs, you can simply line a serving tray with leafy greens. Not only will it prevent your eggs from sliding all over the place, it also adds a great splash of color.

One Year Ago: My Favorite Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Two Years Ago: Rice and Beans

Print Save

Deviled Eggs

This classic appetizer is always a hit!

Ingredients:

2 Hard boiled eggs
1 tsp yellow mustard
Pinch of sugar
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
Paprika, for garnish

Directions:

Peel eggs and cut in 1/2 lengthwise.

Remove yolks and place in a small bowl.

Smash all the yolks up.

Add mustard, mayonnaise, and sugar until you like the taste.

Using a melon-baller (or a spoon) scoop yolk mixture into the whites of the eggs.

This recipe scales up and down very well.

9 Responses to “Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes”

Connie — November 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

What a great idea to freeze the excess chipotle chiles! Much less waste, and perfectly portioned. I do freeze buttermilk in 1/2 cup increments because I never use up the whole carton when I buy it.

• beantownbaker — November 8th, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

Oh I’ve never frozen dairy before. Does it defrost well?

Connie — November 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

It does get a little curdled looking but I only use it for baking cakes. I haven’t noticed any discernible difference in texture or flavor in the resulting cakes.

• beantownbaker — November 10th, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

Good to know. I’ll have to keep that in mind because I never use the whole carton either. I tend to just make my own buttermilk with milk + vinegar but sometimes I buy it then struggle with how to use it all.

Shannon — November 9, 2013 at 9:32 am

i like adding in a not traveling to the rotation! might have to employ that one here 🙂

• beantownbaker — November 10th, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

It was seriously one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. We’ve done a variety of things on our holidays where we don’t travel.

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — November 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hey Jen! I JUST made these potatoes and posted them today. Alton Brown knows his stuff right? Then I saw your picture on pinterest and was like hm I wonder if that’s the same recipe…? Great minds think alike! I added green onions and bacon to mine, because, well, bacon makes everything better. Right? 🙂 Great post! http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2013/11/22/chipotle-sweet-potatoes-with-bacon/

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Bacon definitely makes everything better. Great minds do think alike!

Baked Potato Oven — January 14, 2014 at 4:02 am

I am gonna try this on coming weekend and hope its looks at least nice in the texture and in color,because i am not so good in cooking:). Anyway Looking forward to more of your yummy dishes mate!!!