Date, Cherry, Goat Cheese Spread

Dates are one of those foods that are kind of weird… They look like nothing else you’ll find in the grocery store. But they pack a punch of chewey carameley sweetness that can’t be rivaled.

I have to admit. The only other thing I’ve ever made with dates in my life are these Bacon Wrapped Dates. Like anything wrapped in bacon, they were delicious. This time around, I wanted to make something more original with my dates.

I decided to pair them with another ingredient I rarely use, and one I use all the time. Mixing goat cheese into recipes always provides a subtle saltiness and creaminess. I threw in the chopped cherries because I’m trying to use them more and I had some on hand.

I mixed these ingredients together and threw in some almonds for texture and called it a day. No sense in messing with a good thing. I threw it all on some toasted baguette and Hubby and I had a nice little afternoon snack.

One Year Ago: Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls, Homemade Mayo, and Blueberry Salsa over Grilled Mahi Mahi
Five Years Ago: Sauteed Mushrooms
Note: Nature Delights sent me a box of medjool dates to try out and come up with a recipe to use them in.

Print Save

Date, Cherry, Goat Cheese Spread

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 cup cherries, stemmed, pitted, and quartered
6 dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup crumbled goat cheese
3/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
baguette, sliced and toasted if desired

Directions:

Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl. Be sure not to over mix.

Spread onto bread or toast and enjoy!

9 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars”

newlywed — September 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

As a teacher, I still get nervous for the first day of school! Same butterflies in my tummy I had for the first day of high school 🙂
    The look SO yummy, hope to try making them soon.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The flavor combination of PB&J always brings me back to my childhood. I loved the first day of school – new outfit, new backpack and school supplies…

Krystal — September 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum these look great Jen!! I totally agree on adding more jelly or jam to these…the ooey gooey of PB sticks to the roof of my mouth. Make sure to have milk if these bars are made! LOL

Ashley — September 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Tomorrow marks the first day of my eight year of teaching so I love your back to school post. I am bookmarking this recipe, love PB & J!

Boston Food Diary — September 7, 2010 at 1:40 am

I have been obsessed with peanut butter lately and these look simply amazing….even if I’m not headed back to school! Yum!

Eliana — September 7, 2010 at 3:22 am

These bars looks absolutely perfect.

My favorite part of going back to school was (and I know I’m a nerd for saying this) was using new school supplies. My mom always got us the best pens, pencils, folders, binders, erasers…you name it. And whipping them out the first week of class was the best feeling ever.

nutmegnanny — September 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This looks perfect for the back to school season! I’m a nanny so I know the little I watch would love to make these for herself and friends. I guess I know what we are doing tonight 🙂

Cupcake Activist — September 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This is very similar to my favorite workout bar–Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Jelly. Maybe I can start saving money and make my own bars. Thanks!

We Are Not Martha — September 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ve made something similar before, but these look SO good my stomach is grumbling 🙂 Definitely bookmarking for soon! I miss the new outfits and seeing who’s in all your classes 🙂

Sues