Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes

I have to admit, I never would have thought to roast bluberries. As much as I love roasting almost any kind of vegetable, the thought literally never crossed my mind. Then I saw this recipe for Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes and was instantly intrigued.

The batter of these cupcakes is a very pretty purple and it tastes amazing. Roasting blueberries brings out their sweetness and heightens that flavor. I probably ate a whole cupcake worth of just the batter, it was that delicious. After the cupcakes were baked, they still carried the strong roasted blueberry flavor that was evident in the batter.

I decided to top mine with cream cheese frosting and some purple edible glitter to dress things up for my 1000th Post Party. I am hoping to make these again with various other roasted fruits. I’m thinking raspberry or strawberry next…

Have you ever roasted fruit?

One Year Ago: Cinnamon Chip Scones and Hummingbird Cupcakes with Pineapple Flowers

Print Save

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Roasted blueberries have a strong sweet flavor that comes through perfectly in these cupcakes

Yield: 16 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp milk
1 batch Cream Cheese Frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread blueberries on a baking sheet (with sides) and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until berries start to burst. Remove from oven and let cool.

Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.

Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined, another 2-3 minutes.

Add flour, baking powder and salt with the mixer on low speed, then gradually increase speed.

Scrape in blueberries and beat on medium speed until the berries break down – about 2-3 minutes. At this point, the berries most likely have enough liquid that you only need to add a small amount of milk to the batter.

Begin adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and beat with the mixer until the batter is smooth. You definitely want it to be cake batter and not dough. (My batter took 2 Tbsp of milk)

Pour into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full, and bake for 18-22 minutes or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost.

Recipe from How Sweet It Is

16 Responses to “Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This looks great! After apple picking last year, I was desperately searching for ways to use the apples in savory ways. Now one of my favorite recipes is a calzone filled with apples, proscuitto, brie and sage. SO good!

The Red Headed Mama — October 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My husband used to laugh at me when I told him that as kids we would do apple pie filling and cheese in the hobo pie maker. It was fabulous…I’m going to show him this post to prove that I’m not crazy. We’re apple picking this weekend, so I’ll be sure to try this out!

Melissa — October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I definitely need to think of some savory ways to use up all of the apples we pick every fall, and stop making sweets! This looks like a great recipe!

Heavenly Housewife — October 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a great apple treat. I’ve got loads of apples this years from my trees and am looking for yummy recipes to use them up. After all, a girl can only eat so much apple sauce LOL.
    *kisses* HH

Cupcake Activist — October 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I didn’t realize this was going to be a sweet sandwich. It looks so yummy! I once had a grilled cheese sandwich with thinly sliced apples in the middle and it was delicious!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I love what you did with your leftover apples! This looks incredible…love the apple and cheese combinations!

7 — October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

This recipe looks really tasty! I tried a similar flavor combo, but it was apple, cheddar omelete. I needed as apple with more flavor- the one I used wasn’t tart enough!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

What a great way to use up apples…yum!

Val — October 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This made my mouth water. I have to make this soon.

Boston Food Diary — October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Looks delicious Jen! I love the combination of apples and gouda! After my apple picking adventures I am definitely seeking lots of good apple ideas as well!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This looks like a great comfort food sandwich! I spent yesterday baking apple pies and snacking on cheese and crackers. I snuck in a few apple slices on my cheddar & crackers – yum!

Evan B — October 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Um YES please! ps. everyone in the office loved your brownie recipe- it has totally become my go-to 🙂

Jen — October 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love making grilled cheese with a really great goat’s milk gouda–it’s our new favorite grilled cheese–but I think I’d die and go to heaven if I made it this way! thanks for sharing.

newlywed — October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This looks delicous! I love the combination of apples and cheese. It is great to see a savory apple recipe…I have lots too!

.dear.jenny. — November 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

HUSH! oh my…looks amazing!!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm