Egg, Avocado, Apple Salad

Have you guys heard of Secret Recipe Club? I have been participating for the last few months and it’s been a great way for me to find new blogs and try new recipes. It’s been a ton of fun and I highly recommend joining if you haven’t already.

This month, I was happy to find I was paired with another blogger I had never heard of – From Arepas to Zwetschgen! I searched through the various posts and saw tons of great salad and sandwich recipes. I chose this recipe because we had some delicious lettuce, red onion, and cherry tomatoes in our CSA box last week.

This salad was amazingly delicious and filling. The pecans gave a nice crunch to the salad and the avocado and hard boiled egg gave the salad some heft and creaminess. I dressed the salad with some olive oil and balsalmic vinegar. Hubby commented that this salad would be great with some grilled chicken on top as well.

One Year Ago: Blueberry Rhubarb Pie, Caramelized Onions, Homemade Hamburger Buns, and Salmon Burgers
Two Years Ago: Rhubarb Raspberry Jame and Peanut Butter Brownies
Three Years Ago: Panzanella

Print Save

Egg, Avocado, Apple Salad

Yield: Serves 2

Ingredients:

Mixed greens
2 hardboiled eggs, peeled and sliced
1 avocados, cubed
1/2 apple, diced
Very thinly sliced red onion
2 Tbsp chopped almonds
Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing (or your favorite salad dressing)

Directions:

Place mixed greens, eggs, avocado, apple, and tomatoes on two plates.

Top with onion and nuts.

Dress with oil and vinegar just prior to serving.

Recipe adapted from From Arepas to Zwetschgen

9 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars”

newlywed — September 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

As a teacher, I still get nervous for the first day of school! Same butterflies in my tummy I had for the first day of high school 🙂
    The look SO yummy, hope to try making them soon.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The flavor combination of PB&J always brings me back to my childhood. I loved the first day of school – new outfit, new backpack and school supplies…

Krystal — September 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum these look great Jen!! I totally agree on adding more jelly or jam to these…the ooey gooey of PB sticks to the roof of my mouth. Make sure to have milk if these bars are made! LOL

Ashley — September 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Tomorrow marks the first day of my eight year of teaching so I love your back to school post. I am bookmarking this recipe, love PB & J!

Boston Food Diary — September 7, 2010 at 1:40 am

I have been obsessed with peanut butter lately and these look simply amazing….even if I’m not headed back to school! Yum!

Eliana — September 7, 2010 at 3:22 am

These bars looks absolutely perfect.

My favorite part of going back to school was (and I know I’m a nerd for saying this) was using new school supplies. My mom always got us the best pens, pencils, folders, binders, erasers…you name it. And whipping them out the first week of class was the best feeling ever.

nutmegnanny — September 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This looks perfect for the back to school season! I’m a nanny so I know the little I watch would love to make these for herself and friends. I guess I know what we are doing tonight 🙂

Cupcake Activist — September 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This is very similar to my favorite workout bar–Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Jelly. Maybe I can start saving money and make my own bars. Thanks!

We Are Not Martha — September 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ve made something similar before, but these look SO good my stomach is grumbling 🙂 Definitely bookmarking for soon! I miss the new outfits and seeing who’s in all your classes 🙂

Sues