Caramelized Onions

Caramelized onions have to be my favorite condiment ever. They’re so flavorful and can go on almost anything. I’ve blogged about putting them in a quesadilla and a dip so far.

After the burnt caramelized onions from last week, I decided I needed to come up with a method to make caramelized onions. And I figured that I’d post it here. I’m sure everyone out there has a way they do this, but this is what worked for me.

One Year Ago: Peanut Butter Brownies

Print Save

Caramelized Onions

Ingredients:

1 onion, cut in half, then sliced
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
pinch salt

Directions:

Place olive oil in a 8" skillet with a lid. Turn heat on medium. Once the oil is warm, add the sliced onion.

Put a lid on the skillet. After about 2 minutes, give the onions a quick stir. If they are starting to brown/burn, turn the heat down a bit. Put the lid back on and set the timer for 5 minutes.

The onions should be soft, but not brown at this point. Remove the lid and stir the onions.

Add a pinch of salt to the onions. Continue to cook without the lid for another 10-15 minutes until caramelized completely.

Recipe adapted from the method shown on Branny Boils Over

9 Responses to “Bacon wrapped, Goat cheese and almond stuffed Dates”

Joelen — August 1, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Now I think bacon wrapped dates are amazing… but stuffed with goat cheese & almond?! Yum! I wish I knew of this before my Tapas party last weekend 🙂

Nate — August 21, 2008 at 8:06 pm

These are absolutely amazing!

ttfn300 — August 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm

wow sooooo good, recently had something like these (maybe minus the goat cheese?) at a reception. but i love goat cheese. need to buy me some dates 🙂

gaga — December 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Yay for goat cheese! It really does make them better, doesn’t it?

aleta meadowlark — March 17, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Okay, so I had these babies at a party in rural Massachusetts this weekend, and I have no idea who made them (they were part of a HUGE spread and like 100 people brought food), and I’m wondering, given your proximity, whether or not I may have possibly eaten your delights unknowingly?

Jen — March 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Aleta – it was not me, although it sounds like a great party. These always get gobbled up anywhere we take them!

biz319 — July 30, 2009 at 5:16 pm

do you think these would be good at room temperature?

I am going to an outdoor concert next week and wanted to bring some finger food!

Jen — July 30, 2009 at 5:19 pm

These are awesome at room temperature. We’ve made them a ton. You can make them and refrigerate for a couple days before grilling/broiling, you can also go ahead and cook them just leave them at room temperature. I prefer them at room temperature actually.

Beryl — December 2, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Would you imagine using some milder-tasting cheese like Brie tasting good?