Harry Potter Cupcakes

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to check out my other Harry Potter treats: More Harry Potter Cupcakes, Butterbeer, and Golden Snitch Cake Pops.

A big group of friends decided to go see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in IMAX. Hubby and I are both big HP fans (ok, maybe it’s really just me and I drag him along to this stuff… He’s not the one with the HP theme ringtone… although he did read all 7 books too… In fact we had to buy two #7s because neither of us wanted to wait for the book…) and we already saw the movie when it first came out. But it wasn’t released in IMAX until the end of July. I don’t know if it’s marketing genius or what, but I guess their ploy worked on us because if it had come out in IMAX at the beginning, we probably would have only gone to see it once… But I digress… Since we had such a large group, we decided to get there early to get seats together. And since we’d be standing/sitting around for a while, I thought I’d bring some cupcakes.

I wanted to decorate them with Harry Potter objects and decided to make some chocolates to put on top of the cupcakes. The process itself is quite simple. First, I made a stencil on my computer and printed it out. I taped some wax paper over the printout so the paper wouldn’t move. Then I melted some chocolate and yellow Wilton candy melts in a disposable piping bag. I snipped off the end and began piping.

As you can see I don’t have a perfectly steady hand, but I think they look good. For the snitch wings, I piped the chocolate, then put some sprinkles on the waxed paper, then piped the yellow.

For the H and P, first I downloaded the Harry Potter font from DaFont.com. The first time I printed my stencil I forgot to make a mirror image of the letters. Since I wanted the smooth side to be showing on top of the cupcakes, I needed to have that mirror image. Once I got that all straightened out, I would pipe a small amount of chocolate onto the thicker parts of the letter. I then used a toothpick to do the detail work. It was a bit time consuming to say the least!

When I went to take the H & P letters off the waxed paper, they were too fragile to stay together. So in a last second decision, I used the yellow candy melts to make a big ole circle around the HP. I think they looked great, but wished I would have thought of that first because I would have made my H a little closer to the P. I used my round cookie cutters (see Dad, they’re really useful!) to make the circle of yellow chocolate over the HP.

I decided to just make chocolate and white cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I love filling cupcakes, so I filled them with some homemade strawberry jam that Hubby’s mom’s boyfriend gave us recently (it’s AMAZING!). Since I hate making recipes more than once, I decided to try a new chocolate and a new white cupcake recipe. I decided to go with Martha’s one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe and the Billy’s vanilla cupcake recipe from my Top 10 list. The chocolate cupcakes were great and I love the idea of only dirtying one bowl!

I found the vanilla cupcakes to be a bit fussy. The batter tastes amazing, but I used my ice cream scoop as usual, and they were too full and spilled over and made the weird flat cookie look on top of the cupcakes. I think I’m still on the hunt for a great fool-proof vanilla cupcake recipe.

I’m not going to copy the recipes here, they’re out on the Internet hundreds of times. Here are links to Martha Stewart’s One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes and Billy’s Vanilla cupcakes (another Martha Stewart recipe). I frosted the cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Don’t forget to enter in my 2nd blogiversary giveaway by midnight on August 13th!

12 Responses to “It’s good to be back in the kitchen!! Martha Stewart’s Buttermilk Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream”

Jigginjessica — July 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

These look and sounds great! Also thanks for the link to the cupcake carrier! I’ve been wanting to buy one for awhile now but didn’t like that Wilton’s only held 12.

Cate — July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Those paper cupcake liners are so pretty! I keep seeing recipes from that book and I really want to get myself a copy!
    Do you think you could add a few extra ounces of chocolate to the frosting without messing up the texture?

Erin — July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just posted cupcakes from that book today too! And I also have the Wilton cupcake carrier. Not to thrilled with it either, but I got it because I needed something to carry a huge sheet cake in. I would love a double decker.

Your cupcakes look great, as always! I need to work on my frosting skills. (Hence the reason I posted a recipe that could be frosted in a “rustic” style!)

Jen — July 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – Definitely check out that carrier. Not sure if you guys have a Container Store, but I think BB&B carries it now too.

Cate – I’m not sure if more chocolate would ruin the texture… Possibly. I was underwhelmed when I tasted the frosting by itself, but when it was on the cupcake, it was really good. The subtle flavor paired really well with this cupcake. I just really prefer my chocolate frosting to be really chocolatey!

Erin – Thanks! I’m always try to improve my skills. This was the first time I’ve tried the rosette. I usually pipe from the outside in.

Ingrid — July 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yay, for packages in the mail and new kitchens!

I like how you frosted the cupcakes, very pretty. I haven’t made SMBC yet but I’m gonna soon. Sounds good!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

Jennifer — July 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I need that cupcake carrier!! Thanks for the link to it!! Ive been on the out look for a great one for a while!

These are great cupcakes! Well done!!

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look awesome! What icing tip did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jen — July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I used my trusty old 1M tip for the frosting.

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Scott W. — July 23, 2009 at 12:34 am

The frosting is so delicate looking. Just the way Martha Stewart would like it.

Little Ewe — July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

love the recioes and will definately try them but as i live in the uk please could you give me imperial measures rather than cupa and sticks thanks:)
    Fiona

articia — July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when I make chocolate SMBC I actually use cocoa powder. I think it gives it a stronger chocolate flavor without messing with the texture. Maybe you could try adding some cocoa powder if the melted chocolate doesn’t taste bold enough.

also, I saw those snap n’ stack cupcake carriers at my local Meijer and bought 2. they weren’t cheap so as I was driving home I was deciding if I was going to regret spending nearly $50 on the 2 of them, but I couldn’t be happier with them. they’re come in *so* handy.