My Top 10 List!

As some of you may know, Dave Letterman holds a special place in my heart. Don’t worry I’m not one of those girls who digs really older men, there’s a good reason for it. Back when I was in college, I was a guest on Letterman. Yep, you read that right, a guest. And not just a stupid human tricks guest or something similar, an actual guest (Hubby was in the audience, and for those of you who we know in real life, I know you’ve seen him in his Letterman t-shirt!). Even before that day, I was always a fan. I had a great roommate who was OBSESSED and we would watch together. My favorite part was always the Top 10 list.

When I saw Cait’s Top 10 blogging event (check out her blog Food*Nerd), I knew it was something I wanted to participate in. This month the topic is Blog Envy: Top Ten Recipes You’ve Been Meaning to Make.

Basically you make a list of the top 10 recipes you’ve been saving and then you make one and blog about it! This is very time appropriate since our kitchen renovation just about finished up and I’ve been trying to figure out what to bake when I could get back in the kitchen. I had a really hard time coming up with a Top Ten List since there are so many great recipes out there I want to try. But here it is (in no particular order):

10. Rainier Cherry and Goats Cheese Pie from Peabody – I love goat cheese and this combo sounds awesome

9. Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream from Scrumptious Photography – I’ve been dying to try the chocolate/bacon combo – update: I made these cupcakes for a friend’s pirate party!!!

8. Fresh Strawberry Cake from A Good Appetite – Strawberries are in season and this cake looks awesome – update: I made this cake into cupcakes!!

7. Dorie’s Chipster-Topped Brownies from Engineer Baker – I’ll probably leave out the nuts and add ganache to the top like Bakerella did – update: I made these!!

6. Chocolate Goat Cheese Truffles from Divine Domesticity – I’m intrigued by this recipe…

5. Bagels from Smitten Kitchen – I’ve been wanting to make bagels for a while, but they kind of definitely intimidate me… – update: I used a different recipe, but I did make these Mini Whole Wheat Bagels

4. Choc-alot Cake from Confections of a Foodie Bride – You knew I was going to have a super chocolatey cake on here – update – I made this cake and it’s AMAZING!

3. Billy’s Vanilla Cupcakes from How to Eat a Cupcake – I’m still searching for the perfect vanilla cupcake… – update: I’ve found a go-to vanilla cupcake recipe, so I’m not going to be trying this one!!

2. White Cake with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream from Peabody – again, strawberries are in season and how awesome does this cake look?!?

1. Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake from Smitten Kitchen – Um, hello?!? Cheese cake, ganache, and brownies in one dessert – heaven! update – I made this cake with a winter twist – peppermint!! It was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be.

I had HIGH hopes of actually being able to make something off my top ten list by the end of the month. However, we had a mishap with the granite (um, they lost our order for over a week!?!) which set us back about a week. The good news is that on Thursday, I’ll be able to use the kitchen again!! It won’t be completely done, but very close. I’ve decided that the first thing I’m going to bake is going to be from this list… now which one should I make… I’ll post as soon as I make it!

18 Responses to “Samoas Rice Krispies Treats”

Monica — February 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

If Carlos claims this is the best thing you have ever made … I might have to make them tonight!

• beantownbaker — February 10th, 2014 @ 9:57 am

Let me know if you do. I was seriously SHOCKED when he said that.

erin — February 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

OH. MY. LORD.

Aimee@shugarysweets — February 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I can see why these are the best ever!!!! Love Samoas!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — February 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I grew up calling them Samoas and didn’t like them when I was selling them, but have since grown to love them. Great twist on a traditional rice krispie treat!

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

I can’t tell if the naming thing is regional or not. I know people who grew up in Indiana like me who call them Samoas. They’ll always be Caramel Delites to me.

Dina — February 11, 2014 at 11:41 am

they look sooooo good!

vanillasugarblog — February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Sharing these in my friday link roundup!
    Everyone needs to see these!

• beantownbaker — February 13th, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Thanks for sharing them!!

Shannon — February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm

oh jeez. caramel de lites here, too 🙂 these sound killer!

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

You’re the first person I’ve met who calls them Caramel de Lites too!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode — February 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I’ve been wondering why they aren’t always called Samoas!

stephanie — March 18, 2014 at 7:48 am

Are the pecans there for the Samoa flavor or just an extra addition?

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:03 am

They add some texture but you could leave them out if you wanted.

Justin — March 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Awesome recipe! Let me provide a little insight to the naming of the cookies (Caramel deLights vs Samoas my wife is a girl scout troop leader). The girl scouts rely on a few bakeries to produce their cookies. Caramel deLights are made by one bakery, while Samoas are made by another.

Erin — April 12, 2014 at 9:25 am

Just made these – very tasty, but I had a lot of trouble with the caramel layer. It hardened so much, I couldn’t cut the squares. I had to heat them up a bit to cut through the caramel, and then they got rather sticky and did not cut cleanly. Followed directions exactly, not sure what went wrong…

Shannon C — May 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm

On Sunday nights, my hubby leads a college-age Bible study group and I use the kids/young adults as my guinea pigs for trying new recipes. I made these yesterday and they LOVED them. Thank you for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

So glad these were a hit for you! This has become my most frequently made and requested recipe that I’ve made.