My Top 10 List!

As some of you may know, Dave Letterman holds a special place in my heart. Don’t worry I’m not one of those girls who digs really older men, there’s a good reason for it. Back when I was in college, I was a guest on Letterman. Yep, you read that right, a guest. And not just a stupid human tricks guest or something similar, an actual guest (Hubby was in the audience, and for those of you who we know in real life, I know you’ve seen him in his Letterman t-shirt!). Even before that day, I was always a fan. I had a great roommate who was OBSESSED and we would watch together. My favorite part was always the Top 10 list.

When I saw Cait’s Top 10 blogging event (check out her blog Food*Nerd), I knew it was something I wanted to participate in. This month the topic is Blog Envy: Top Ten Recipes You’ve Been Meaning to Make.

Basically you make a list of the top 10 recipes you’ve been saving and then you make one and blog about it! This is very time appropriate since our kitchen renovation just about finished up and I’ve been trying to figure out what to bake when I could get back in the kitchen. I had a really hard time coming up with a Top Ten List since there are so many great recipes out there I want to try. But here it is (in no particular order):

10. Rainier Cherry and Goats Cheese Pie from Peabody – I love goat cheese and this combo sounds awesome

9. Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream from Scrumptious Photography – I’ve been dying to try the chocolate/bacon combo – update: I made these cupcakes for a friend’s pirate party!!!

8. Fresh Strawberry Cake from A Good Appetite – Strawberries are in season and this cake looks awesome – update: I made this cake into cupcakes!!

7. Dorie’s Chipster-Topped Brownies from Engineer Baker – I’ll probably leave out the nuts and add ganache to the top like Bakerella did – update: I made these!!

6. Chocolate Goat Cheese Truffles from Divine Domesticity – I’m intrigued by this recipe…

5. Bagels from Smitten Kitchen – I’ve been wanting to make bagels for a while, but they kind of definitely intimidate me… – update: I used a different recipe, but I did make these Mini Whole Wheat Bagels

4. Choc-alot Cake from Confections of a Foodie Bride – You knew I was going to have a super chocolatey cake on here – update – I made this cake and it’s AMAZING!

3. Billy’s Vanilla Cupcakes from How to Eat a Cupcake – I’m still searching for the perfect vanilla cupcake… – update: I’ve found a go-to vanilla cupcake recipe, so I’m not going to be trying this one!!

2. White Cake with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream from Peabody – again, strawberries are in season and how awesome does this cake look?!?

1. Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake from Smitten Kitchen – Um, hello?!? Cheese cake, ganache, and brownies in one dessert – heaven! update – I made this cake with a winter twist – peppermint!! It was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be.

I had HIGH hopes of actually being able to make something off my top ten list by the end of the month. However, we had a mishap with the granite (um, they lost our order for over a week!?!) which set us back about a week. The good news is that on Thursday, I’ll be able to use the kitchen again!! It won’t be completely done, but very close. I’ve decided that the first thing I’m going to bake is going to be from this list… now which one should I make… I’ll post as soon as I make it!

15 Responses to “Homemade Milky Way Candy Bars”

KV — October 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

those look good too. Are homemade butterfingers next? I have a recipe I’m going to try out soon.

Jen — October 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Butterfingers would be tasty, but I’ve got something else coming on Friday…

amanda @ fake ginger — October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

OH YUM! I really want to try these but I’m horrible at dipping things too.

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2010 at 12:25 am

This is exactly what my son’s been asking me to do. You’re making it hard to say no – they look perfect!

Kimmy Bingham — October 21, 2010 at 1:03 am

Why do you tempt me so? Milky Ways are my favorites. This is so worth trying 🙂

Smitten Sugar — October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yum these look delicious! I love Milky ways

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Well they look pretty perfect to me! And super delicious too.

Kerstin — October 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I’m so intrigued by the cool whip/chocolate mixture for the filling! These look so yummy and addicting!

Miss Yunks — October 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

These look so cute and much easier than the milky ways and snickers I made a few months ago. I made mine in muffin wrappers so I didn’t dip them, just layered the chocolate, nougat, caramel, and chocolate! They came out pretty tasty but was a lot of work!

Rachael Pergler — October 26, 2010 at 1:31 am

I just tried these and they didn’t come out as I’d hoped. The chocolate and whipped cream mix was too sticky and wouldn’t harden. Did I do something wrong? Also what if you can’t find kraft caramel?

Jen — October 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Rachael – Sorry to hear they didn’t turn out for you. The center part was a bit sticky while dipping and wasn’t super hard… Any caramel would work for this recipe, I just use the Kraft kind that comes individually wrapped.

K — November 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I would put melted chocolate in the pan first, freeze, then the chocolate mixture, then the caramel. Then you can spoon melted chocolate on top. Would this work? (It solves the dipping problem too!)

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

That could definitely work… The caramel might ooze out when you gut them though… Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Rick — October 31, 2014 at 11:23 am

I hope you are not using Cool Whip which is all trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup. I’m looking for a healthier alternative to the store bought Milky Way. Perhaps a recipe for homemade whip ?

Linda — December 23, 2015 at 1:42 pm

These were a DISASTER. I wasted my morning and a lot of ingredients. The chocolate mixture was so sticky when cutting into squares. The directions did not state whether to add water to the caramels when melting so I didn’t…the caramels ended up thick and so sticky, I had trouble putting it on the chocolate layer. Dumped the whole mess out since I didn’t want to waste a bag of milk chocolate chips to coat them. I have been baking my entire life (60 +) and never had a recipe go like that.