American Idol and Cupcake Hero collide…

After taking a month off of cupcake hero, I’m back. This cupcake isn’t a creative recipe, but it does use cocoa powder! I have some other more creative ideas brewing in my head that I want to try out for another entry. BUT, I thought it was fitting to submit my Idol finale cupcakes. This is my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I actually got the recipe from the CH founder herself. I always add another level of chocolate by throwing in some chocolate chips at the end. They melt just enough to give a fudgey center to the cupcake. This recipe is so good and always turns out perfectly. My little sister has also made them with great success.
I threw these together for an American Idol finale party that I’m going to tonight. I’ve been a David Cook fan from the beginning. There was just something different about him that I was drawn to.
After last night’s performances, I’d have to say that I think David Archuletta is going to win. While this makes me sad, I know David Cook will get a record deal and he’ll be okay. I personally don’t think David Archuletta has what it takes to be a pop star. His voice and style lends himself more towards signing for Disney movies or at King’s Island or something like that. David Cook on the other hand could sell records today. Heck he could have started selling records after he performed Billy Jean a couple weeks ago. Although I do agree with Cooky critics that he may have peaked too early…
I whipped up some cream cheese frosting and added blue and silver sprinkles. And little David heads to the cupcakes. Hubby said the heads were kinda creepy, but I think they’re cute. I would have just put all David Cook heads on, but I figured some people at the party might not appreciate it.

Chocolate Cupcakes – recipe from Quirky Cupcake
Makes 12 to 15 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder – I used Ghirardelli cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesuace
1 cup cold water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cup chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a 12-cupcake tin with foil or paper liners and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water, and vanilla.

Mix the chocolate chips and flour in a ziploc bag or tupperware container. Shake until chips are coated by flour. This is prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cupcake while baking.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and the vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Working quickly, distribute the batter into the foil- or paper-lined 12-cupcake tin. If you have leftover batter (depending on how high you fill the liners) you can make a few extra cupcakes by using a few foil liners on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Set the cupcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese at room temp – I used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/2 stick butter at room temp – I used Earth Balance
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.

Add vanilla extract.

Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

31 Responses to “Salted Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookies”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Dark chocolate truffles in cookie form? Um, YES!!! I’ll take a dozen for myself and another dozen for later, please.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

Wow – these sound good! and I truly do not understand how people can just “not be into chocolate!” It is my favorite!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Yea, I really don’t get it either. Oh well, more for me!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — May 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Oh wow, chocolate truffle cookies sound divine! These look ridiculously good! Love that they’re salted too!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I have been sprinkling salt on all of my cookies recently. It makes them much more adult and less super-sweet.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yum these look divine!

tracy {pale yellow} — May 4, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m always in need of a chocolate fix! I have several friends that claim they are not chocolate people, yet I find whenever I make something chocolate + salt, they are all over it!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

I definitely find that people who claim they aren’t chocolate people rarely say no to any homemade baked goods. Chocolate or otherwise.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh my! These look divine πŸ™‚ I’d love to make these babies soon!

Shannon — May 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

these look amazing!! and how thick that batter is πŸ™‚ love the sea salt!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

The batter was basically ganache. You could have just made truffles from it directly.

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love any and all things dark chocolate. These look so decadent!

best friend rings — May 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something
    more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

Jane — May 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Wow! Those look so perfectly decadent! I’m practically drooling on my screen πŸ˜‰

Amy — May 16, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Just made these. Worried I didn’t bake them long enough… however they still tasted divine. Waiting to get the verdict from my husband on them.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

I think underbaking these sounds like a great idea. I might have to do that next time.

Rachita — June 4, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Since I’m trying this recipe for the first time, can I halve the entire recipe?

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn’t see this comment until now! I don’t see why you couldn’t make a half batch of these cookies. Did you try it? How did they turn out?

Joan — June 9, 2013 at 10:08 am

These are the most amazing chocolate cookies I have ever made. Everyone with whom I have shared them have gone absolutly nuts and want the recipe. I do not wet my hands when rolling the cookies into balls—too messy. I just let my hands get sticky and rinse and dry them after making several balls. This is one of the best recipes on Pinterest.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoy these cookies. I was wondering if getting my hands wet actually helped with the messiness very much. Next time I’ll be sure to just go at it without dealing with the water.

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hey! I tried halving the recipe…but it melted while in the oven. Became runny & all of them just stuck together πŸ™
    I tried just one batch. Anything I can do to fix the remaining batter?

• beantownbaker — June 18th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Interesting… How did you account for half of an egg? And is your baking powder past it’s expiration date?

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ohh! Looks like I’ve added a lil too much egg. Damn! Any way I can fix the batter? Add more flour perhaps? Plz help!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

I’d add a little more flour to see if you can balance out the extra amount of egg in there.

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

I added 1/4 cup more flour & a teensy bit of baking powder to my messed up batter & they came out wonderfully! They’re so gooey & yumm that my husband & son (who never eats chocolate!) finished six cookies at one go!
    Amazing recipe!! Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it !

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Oh GOOD! So glad you were able to make them work. Aren’t they divine?

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

U bet! They are sinfully delicious! Sent some in my son’s snack pack & I have mommies calling for these cookies!
    I’m officially ur No.1 fan now! πŸ™‚

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

Aww Thanks! πŸ™‚

Emily — June 27, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if I could put them in the freezer instead of the fridge for a shorter period of time? If so, how long should I put them in the freezer for instead of the fridge?

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 8:06 am

Hm. You could definitely try it. I would think it’s still going to need an hour or so in the freezer since you want it to set up pretty well. Let me know how it turns out if you do.