More Harry Potter Cupcakes (Including Golden Snitch Cupcakes)

For these Harry Potter cupcakes, I used the same template that I used a couple years ago, seen here. They were such a success last time, I figured I should make them again. Seriously, how cute are these cupcakes?

For the lightening bolts, I mixed some yellow and gold sanding sugar together and sprinkled it on top of white candy melts. I realized that actually a yellow lightening bolt doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in the context of Harry Potter. His lightening bolt is a scar, so it’s clearly not yellow… oh well!

The glasses are made of chocolate candy melts piped on top of a stencil covered with wax paper. They were a bit fragile when removed from the wax paper.

The HP logo was created by downloading a Harry Potter font to make a template. I made the HP the appropriate size, then made the mirror image of them. So when I was making them on the waxed paper, they were backwards. Then I put the yellow candy circle over the letters and when they set up, the HP was readable.

For the golden snitch cupcakes, I just frosted the chocolate cupcake and plopped one of the leftover golden snitches from the golden snitch cake pops I made the other day.

I am taking these cupcakes to a friend’s house tomorrow night. The group of eight of us that are going to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II are meeting up to watch Part I prior to heading out to the movie theatre. I might even whip up some butterbeer for everyone to enjoy!

One Year Ago: Osso Bucco Style Chicken
Three Years Ago: Red, White, and Blue No-Bake Frozen Cupcakes

No real recipe here. Just bake up your favorite cupcakes and frost with your favorite frosting.

Then make candy decorations with some candy melts. I like to tape my template to the counter, then tape a piece of wax paper on top of that. Then I use a piping bag to create my decorations. For the HP logo, I used a toothpick to get the chocolate into the details of the letters.

19 Responses to “Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting”

Megan — January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ll take any leftovers! They sound amazing. I keep saying dessert recipes with bacon and bookmarking them, but I haven’t tried any yet. Adding this one to the list now too. 🙂

ann — January 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These look so terrific. I love the flavor combinations!

Blog is the New Black — January 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m intrigued!

KV — January 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

interesting! I have a recipe for chocolate bacon fudge or maybe pb bacon fudge but I’m afraid to try it

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The frosting sounds amazing. I honestly still can’t bring myself to get behind bacon in desserts. Maybe someday I’ll try a bacon cupcake if I’m given one though. 🙂 I can only resist so long.

Jennifer — January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

YUM! These look so good! I haven’t tried the bacon / sweet combo yet, but I’m sure I would love it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This looks delicious but I’ve got to ask….what is a pirate party?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Fun and Fearless – It’s exactly like it sounds… Everyone dresses up as a pirate (or something related – Hubby and I went as Treasure maps last year). They even hire this guy who looks like Captain Jack Sparrow to come and there’s a prize for best costume. One of the best parties of the year!

Cupcake Activist — January 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Sounds great! The problem I’ve seen with bacon is that sometimes it is chewy in cupcakes. That’s not good. I like that this recipe says to cook until crispy. Extra crispy for me!

Laura and Alex — January 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My favorite candy bar is bacon chocolate!!! I can’t wait to try this 🙂

Carrie — January 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow, those look and sound amazing!

Shannon — January 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

oh yum. after putting bacon in last years cookies this might need to be next 🙂

Corrine — January 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I’m so curious to try bacon in baked goods, but do you think turkey bacon would work?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Corrine – I’m sure turkey bacon would work if you could get it nice and crispy. I’ve heard that if the bacon isn’t super crispy, it has a really weird chewy texture in baked goods.

Corrine — January 14, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thanks Jen! I’m going to give it a try!

Evan Thomas — January 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This has just about everything that I would want to go together. Awesome recipe!

Medifast Coupons — January 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is certianly a unqiue mixture of tastes and textures, but it comes together nicely. Definatly a must try!

darcyeats — January 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Chocolate..caramel…bacon…PERFECTION.
    I am infatuated with the perfect smoky/salty addition of bacon into sweet baked goods. So delicious. Of course, I’m kind of a fan of adding bacon into just about anything.
    Great pics, def wanna try these out!

kitchenmisfit — January 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Sorry the cupcakes didn’t turn out like you wanted. Have you ever tried the bacon/chocolate cupcake at Cherry Bomb Bakery in Brighton? They are fantastic!