Grilled Caesar Salad

One of the things we had been looking forward to most of all with getting our new house in Ohio was buying a grill. After six years in Boston with nowhere to put a grill, Hubby started shopping drooling over grills the second we started looking at houses.

Grilled Caesar Salad

He had his eyes on a crazy huge one and after some negotiation and consideration, decided on a Weber that heats up in no time flat. He’s seriously so giddy around that thing! We’ve been grilling ever since it was put together, shortly after moving in. And when I say we’ve been grilling, I mean that we’ve grilled every night (and usually twice on weekend days) except when we were out of town or it was raining. It’s been amazing.

Grilled Caesar Salad

While Hubby was eyeing grills, I started researching grilling recipes. I have a ton saved up that I want to try. Really when it comes to grilling, you don’t really need recipes. We tend to just season our protein and veggies and throw them on the grill. A few minutes later, it’s time to eat.

Grilled Caesar Salad

Grilled Caesar salad was something I knew I wanted to try. Using the homemade Caesar salad dressing that I whipped up, we have been enjoying grilled Caesar salad on a regular basis. Who would have thought you could grill lettuce. By doing so, you get a great smokiness with every bite. If you have a grill at home, I highly recommend trying this out!

One Year Ago: Spice Rubbed Chicken
Two Years Ago: Cucumber Hummus Bites and Chocolate Covered Strawberry Truffles
Three Years Ago: Roasted Asparagus
Four Years Ago: Dairy Free Chocolate Strawberry and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes and Coconut Margarita Ice Cream Cupcakes
Five Years Ago: Spinach and Artichoke Pizza

Print Save

Grilled Caesar Salad

Yield: Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

2 hearts of romaine, outer leaves discarded
Caesar salad dressing
Parmesan cheese
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
cherry tomatoes, cut in half, optional

Directions:

Heat grill on high for a few minutes until hot. Lower temperature to medium-low.

Slice the romaine hearts in half lengthwise. Lightly brush the cut side of the romaine with olive oil.

Place romaine hearts on grill, cut side down. Cook for 1-2 minutes and remove to a plate.

Brush romaine hearts with Caesar salad dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Replace on the grill, cut side up. Close grill for 30-60 seconds or until cheese melts. remove romaine to a platter.

Squeeze lemon juice over romaine, season with salt and pepper. Top with cherry tomatoes if using a serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from The New York Times

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.