Grilled Caesar Salad

One of the things we had been looking forward to most of all with getting our new house in Ohio was buying a grill. After six years in Boston with nowhere to put a grill, Hubby started shopping drooling over grills the second we started looking at houses.

Grilled Caesar Salad

He had his eyes on a crazy huge one and after some negotiation and consideration, decided on a Weber that heats up in no time flat. He’s seriously so giddy around that thing! We’ve been grilling ever since it was put together, shortly after moving in. And when I say we’ve been grilling, I mean that we’ve grilled every night (and usually twice on weekend days) except when we were out of town or it was raining. It’s been amazing.

Grilled Caesar Salad

While Hubby was eyeing grills, I started researching grilling recipes. I have a ton saved up that I want to try. Really when it comes to grilling, you don’t really need recipes. We tend to just season our protein and veggies and throw them on the grill. A few minutes later, it’s time to eat.

Grilled Caesar Salad

Grilled Caesar salad was something I knew I wanted to try. Using the homemade Caesar salad dressing that I whipped up, we have been enjoying grilled Caesar salad on a regular basis. Who would have thought you could grill lettuce. By doing so, you get a great smokiness with every bite. If you have a grill at home, I highly recommend trying this out!

One Year Ago: Spice Rubbed Chicken
Two Years Ago: Cucumber Hummus Bites and Chocolate Covered Strawberry Truffles
Three Years Ago: Roasted Asparagus
Four Years Ago: Dairy Free Chocolate Strawberry and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes and Coconut Margarita Ice Cream Cupcakes
Five Years Ago: Spinach and Artichoke Pizza

Print Save

Grilled Caesar Salad

Yield: Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

2 hearts of romaine, outer leaves discarded
Caesar salad dressing
Parmesan cheese
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
cherry tomatoes, cut in half, optional

Directions:

Heat grill on high for a few minutes until hot. Lower temperature to medium-low.

Slice the romaine hearts in half lengthwise. Lightly brush the cut side of the romaine with olive oil.

Place romaine hearts on grill, cut side down. Cook for 1-2 minutes and remove to a plate.

Brush romaine hearts with Caesar salad dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Replace on the grill, cut side up. Close grill for 30-60 seconds or until cheese melts. remove romaine to a platter.

Squeeze lemon juice over romaine, season with salt and pepper. Top with cherry tomatoes if using a serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from The New York Times

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!