Coconut Margarita Ice Cream Cupcakes

There are going to be a few ice cream cupcake posts over the next couple of days. I need to get them all in by the 30th. Be sure to check out the ice cream cupcake roundup at the end of the month (link at end of post).

I made these cupcakes before we started the kitchen renovation (you can even see them in the freezer picture from the first day post). Because I was trying not to throw away any food when the renovation started, I made some really random foods. I had some coconut creme left from the coconut lime cupcakes, and everyone loved those cupcakes so I decided to whip up a batch. I ended up having enough creme to make 3/4 of a batch of cupcakes. I can’t really say how many normal sized cupcakes that recipe would make because I made a variety of cupcakes. But don’t worry I am sure I’ll be making it again (I dipped some in leftover ganache for Hubby to take to work, the rest were used for these ice cream cupcakes).

Once the cupcakes were done, I just needed some ice cream to go with coconut. I headed up to the local JP Licks to see what flavors they had this month. It was my lucky day because they had “Fresh Margarita” Sorbet. As you all know, coconut and lime is one of my favorite flavor combos, so I got a pint without hesitation.

I decided to try a couple options with these cupcakes. For some of them, I did the same thing I did last year, where I had a layer of cupcake, then ice cream (sorbet in this case), then frosting (again, I used up some coconut cream cheese frosting I had in the fridge). For other cupcakes, I cut them in half and put the sorbet in the middle.

I liked the sandwich variety better because it wasn’t so cold against my teeth biting into the cupcake. Hubby also preferred the sandwich variety. But they were all delicious no matter what. *Note* I didn’t make these dairy free, but I did have to try one and they’re REALLY good. If you can find margarita sorbet, I highly recommend this combo.

Coconut cream cheese frosting – from Hello! Cupcake
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.

Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.

Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.

Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

Fold in the shredded coconut.

I am submitting these cupcakes into the blogging event hosted by Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious. Be sure to check back to vote for their reader’s choice cupcakes. Voting will be the first week in June.

12 Responses to “It’s good to be back in the kitchen!! Martha Stewart’s Buttermilk Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream”

Jigginjessica — July 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

These look and sounds great! Also thanks for the link to the cupcake carrier! I’ve been wanting to buy one for awhile now but didn’t like that Wilton’s only held 12.

Cate — July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Those paper cupcake liners are so pretty! I keep seeing recipes from that book and I really want to get myself a copy!
    Do you think you could add a few extra ounces of chocolate to the frosting without messing up the texture?

Erin — July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just posted cupcakes from that book today too! And I also have the Wilton cupcake carrier. Not to thrilled with it either, but I got it because I needed something to carry a huge sheet cake in. I would love a double decker.

Your cupcakes look great, as always! I need to work on my frosting skills. (Hence the reason I posted a recipe that could be frosted in a “rustic” style!)

Jen — July 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – Definitely check out that carrier. Not sure if you guys have a Container Store, but I think BB&B carries it now too.

Cate – I’m not sure if more chocolate would ruin the texture… Possibly. I was underwhelmed when I tasted the frosting by itself, but when it was on the cupcake, it was really good. The subtle flavor paired really well with this cupcake. I just really prefer my chocolate frosting to be really chocolatey!

Erin – Thanks! I’m always try to improve my skills. This was the first time I’ve tried the rosette. I usually pipe from the outside in.

Ingrid — July 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yay, for packages in the mail and new kitchens!

I like how you frosted the cupcakes, very pretty. I haven’t made SMBC yet but I’m gonna soon. Sounds good!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

Jennifer — July 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I need that cupcake carrier!! Thanks for the link to it!! Ive been on the out look for a great one for a while!

These are great cupcakes! Well done!!

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look awesome! What icing tip did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jen — July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I used my trusty old 1M tip for the frosting.

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Scott W. — July 23, 2009 at 12:34 am

The frosting is so delicate looking. Just the way Martha Stewart would like it.

Little Ewe — July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

love the recioes and will definately try them but as i live in the uk please could you give me imperial measures rather than cupa and sticks thanks:)
    Fiona

articia — July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when I make chocolate SMBC I actually use cocoa powder. I think it gives it a stronger chocolate flavor without messing with the texture. Maybe you could try adding some cocoa powder if the melted chocolate doesn’t taste bold enough.

also, I saw those snap n’ stack cupcake carriers at my local Meijer and bought 2. they weren’t cheap so as I was driving home I was deciding if I was going to regret spending nearly $50 on the 2 of them, but I couldn’t be happier with them. they’re come in *so* handy.