Tasty Tools: Lemon & Key Lime Curd

I just found out in January that I love lemon curd. Who knew!?! I had never eaten it let alone made it prior to the DB Lemon Meringue Pie. When Joelen announced her new blogging event, Tasty Tools, I instantly thought of lemon curd. This event encourages you to use the specified tool to create anything you want. Then when the round-up occurs, you can learn some new recipes to make using your various kitchen tools. Very creative event Joelen! The inaugural tool is the microplane/zester.

I love my microplane. Right now the only things I really use it for is to zest citrus fruit. I can’t wait to see the round-up to learn all the creative things that other food bloggers do with their microplanes.

I decided to make lemon curd again, but I didn’t want to cheat the event by just recreating a recipe I’ve already tried. So I decided to try a new recipe. I also decided to make lemon curd and key lime curd this time around. I made a 1/2 batch of lemon curd and a 1/4 batch of the key lime curd.

I used this calculator to get my grams to cups conversion.

Lemon Curd – from Cherrapeño – originally from Delia Smith
grated zest and juice 4 large juicy lemons
4 large eggs
12 oz (350 g or 1 3/4 cup) golden caster sugar
8 oz (225 g or 16 Tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small lumps
1 level dessertspoon (2 tsp) cornflour

Begin by lightly whisking the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients and place the saucepan over a medium heat. Now whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes. Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and let the curd gently simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk. After that, remove it from the heat.

Now pour the lemon curd into the hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible, cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal while it is still hot and label when it is cold. It will keep for several weeks, but it must be stored in a cool place.

12 Responses to “Spiced Caramel Apple Pie”

amanda @ fake ginger — October 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I think I use my apple corer once a month but the time it saves me is so worth storing it!

The pie looks beyond delicious. I haven’t been feeling apple desserts this year but this is one I could get into.

Sarah — October 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I am making Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year and I think this pie is definitely going to make it to my table!

Jen — October 15, 2010 at 3:59 pm

This pie would def be great for Thanksgiving dinner Sarah!

Cara! — October 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This pie looks incredible! My husband loves apple pie and I am planning on making this for him!

Boston Food Diary — October 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Um seriously-this looks ridiculous! I always think that my moms apple pie is the best but…

Megan — October 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I’m not a huge fan of apple pie (I make it for a certain someone I live with), but an apple pie with a crisp-like topping and spiced filling is one I could definitely get behind.

And I seriously want one of theose peeler/corer/slicer things. Every year I go to Freeport and inevitably someone in LL Bean is demo-ing one.

Alisa — October 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Now that’s a delicious apple pie!I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won’t mind I’d love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget at the end of this post and it’s all set, Thanks!

newlywed — October 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Looks delcious! I love my apple peeler/corer/slicer machine. I use it for crisps, apple cakes, applesauce, etc. My husband packs my lunch too…it is nice to be spoiled!

becksterslaboratory — October 17, 2010 at 12:35 am

We LOVE apple desserts in our house…I’ve bookmarked this delicious looking pie and will try it soon! : )

tobiascooks! — October 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Beautiful treat. Look so yummy.

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:36 am

Ok it’s been decided….I’m making this for Thanksgiving! Amazing!!!

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:25 pm

What an awesome twist on apple pie! It looks stellar Jen. Bravo!