Holiday Cookie Swap

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. Now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s time to start thinking about the biggest holiday of the year. To me, Christmas is about sharing. I love to give gifts, create memories with family, and all the holiday meals that will be shared between now and the end of the year. One holiday tradition that I always try to participate in is the cookie swap. I’ve been to quite a few, ranging from casual affairs to more elaborate events where everyone brings 10 dozen cookies and the host created a cookbook with all the recipes for the cookies.

When Foodbuzz offered the opportunity to partner up with Glad to host a cookie swap, I volunteered immediately. Glad is currently running it’s Glad to Give campaign. This campaign is an effort that supports Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a non-profit organization founded by parents inspired by their young son’s ongoing fight against cancer. Along with this campaign, Glad will donation $0.10 to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer for each cookie sold, exchanged or given this November and December (up to $100,00)!

You can also send a virtual cookie if you aren’t a baker or don’t have a chance to participate in a cookie swap. If you’re going to have your own cookie swap (*ahem*Shannon*), be sure to go to register your cookie exchange at www.cookiesforkidscancer.org, and track how many cookies are exchanged. All of you fellow bloggers who are participating in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap should remember to track the cookies you’re exchanging.

Update: There has been some confusion about how to register your cookies. To register any cookies swapped, sold, or exchanged in November or December, simply email the number of cookies toΒ Β gladcookies@cookiesforkidscancer.org

For my cookie swap, I took advantage of the fact that my sisters love to bake almost as much as I do. While visiting the Midwest last week, we had a cookie swap at Brooke’s house with a couple of her friends. We had the swap before Thanksgiving so that everyone could share their cookies with their families on Turkey Day. Glad sent me a package with some tools to help us with our baking adventure, including some Glad containers to hold all of our cookies! We spent most of the day in Brooke’s kitchen baking up a storm.

At our cookie swap, we exchanged a total of 12 dozen cookies! My sisters Brooke and Lindsey made their favorite holidays cookies – Snickerdoodles and Chocolate Chip Snowballs. I tried a new recipe – Triple Chocolate Salted Cookies. The other cookies present were some classic Shortbread Cookies and White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies. I’ll be posting recipes for those last three cookies throughout the rest of this week, so be sure to check back for those.

Full disclosure – I received the products shown and a stipend to cover the cost of ingredients as part of a Tastemaker program with Foodbuzz and Glad.

Two Years Ago: Banana Bread
Three Years Ago: Crispy Chicken
Four Years Ago: Cranberry Applesauce

21 Responses to “Coconut Almond Cake with Blackberry Lime Curd”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am really very terrible at frosting/decorating cake :\ This came out way better than anything I could make!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Ha – I’m pretty bad too. That’s why I love putting stuff on the sides. Coconut does a good job of hiding my sloppy decorating skills.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Coconut and almond, you’ve already got me reeled in πŸ™‚ two of my favorite flavors rolled into what looks like a moist, fluffy cake. YUM

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board — March 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and the texture is perfect! I love curd as a filling between cake layers but i never knew the trick for preventing it from seeping out – thanks!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Yea, it’s definitely very helpful. Even more so when you ACTUALLY do it πŸ˜‰

Megan — March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

We’ve all had those cake experiences. It looks like it turned out well in the end! And it sounds delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in thinking we all need to project that all of our baking/cooking endeavors are hugely successful…

Ashley — March 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Regardless of any kitchen mishaps, this cake looks divine! Layer cakes always look so special, and the addition of fruit here makes me swooooon!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I agree. Layer cakes always look special πŸ™‚

Michelle — March 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh this looks amazing. And aren’t we all our own worst critics when we bake? I can’t tell you how many times I say something is terrible and my husband looks as me like I’m crazy.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, it tasted delicious and no one knew about all the issues I had with the cake. I did want to keep it real on the blog and not give anyone any false sense that things are always easy for me…

Erica @ In and Around Town — March 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I always shy away from layer cakes – yours always come out well, I need some more practice I think! Your “mistakes” are great learning points – did not know about the frosting damn, but it makes so much sense!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about them. I definitely could have posted about this cake without mentioning any of the issues I had. I’m hoping they’ll help someone (myself included) to learn something for the next time they tackle a layer cake. Yours will definitely improve with practice. Mine surely are. I really want to make that coconut cake you just posted!

Shannon — March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i’m always hard on myself too, but you wouldn’t know by the taste i’m sure! looks absolutely wonderful, not to mention i’m drooling over the flavor combo πŸ™‚

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree, I think we all are. I wanted to keep it real with this post in case anyone else found it to be a difficult set of recipes…

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yum, your cake looks so delicious and I really love the sound of the blackberry lime curd!

Laura Dembowski — April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love coconut cake, and blackberries are my favorite fruit. Such a great idea to put them together. This cake is gorgeous! I would happily take a large slice . . . or maybe the whole thing πŸ˜‰

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Then you would definitely love this cake!

Kristina Koranek — August 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Could anyone post the blackberry lime curd recipe? The link is no longer working.

Thanks!