Cranberry applesauce

I have to say, I dislike applesauce a lot. I think it’s a texture thing. Growing up, my sister was the one in our family who ate a lot of applesauce, I mean that she’d put it on her hamburger, on spaghetti noodles or eat it out of the jar. She loved it. I never did.

I thought I might like homemade applesauce since I would be able to control the texture. I had some leftover cran-applesauce from the potato pancakes I made, I decided to try my hand at homemade applesauce. I figured I was almost there, I just needed more apples and to thicken it up a bit. I took the leftover sauce and added 1 more cooked apple and mashed with my pastry cutter and voila!

Like I said, I don’t like applesauce, but this stuff was amazing. Very very good. Can’t wait to make a whole batch!

Cran-Applesauce (by ME!)
1 can of whole cranberry sauce
4 apples, cubed – I used golden delicious and left the skin on
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put everything into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until apples are tender. Mash apples until reaches desired consistency (I left mine fairly chunky).

7 Responses to “Apple Slab”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You are my hero for emailing the hotline! I always assume that bakers like you and Megan know every trick to baking…but it weirdly comforts me that you get nervous sometimes too!

We Are Not Martha — November 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm

How cool! This is so unique and fun-looking. And I love that you contacted the KAF hotline… I’m definitely going to have to do that in the future!

Sues

Allison@KingArthurFlour — November 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Glad you used the hotline! I called it this weekend for a cake question. So helpful!

Happy baking season!

purple squirrel — November 11, 2010 at 12:39 am

These look great!
    Nice to check out your blog~ I’m just north of you, and it looks like your food choices lately are VERY similar to mine! Must be the “air” in New England! 🙂

Jen — November 11, 2010 at 3:16 am

Oh I totally have no shame in asking for help. Like I always say, I’m really good at following recipes, but the second I have to do something out of the ordinary, I get really nervous…

Nutmeg Nanny — November 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm

How nice to know they are there for help you out!

This dessert looks great. Perfect for Fall 🙂

Megan — November 17, 2010 at 8:05 pm

One of the many reasons I love KAF! I think this is a great thing to have in the freezer for last-minute company or planning ahead. I only wish I had seen it when I still had a surplus of apples!