Cranberry applesauce

I have to say, I dislike applesauce a lot. I think it’s a texture thing. Growing up, my sister was the one in our family who ate a lot of applesauce, I mean that she’d put it on her hamburger, on spaghetti noodles or eat it out of the jar. She loved it. I never did.

I thought I might like homemade applesauce since I would be able to control the texture. I had some leftover cran-applesauce from the potato pancakes I made, I decided to try my hand at homemade applesauce. I figured I was almost there, I just needed more apples and to thicken it up a bit. I took the leftover sauce and added 1 more cooked apple and mashed with my pastry cutter and voila!

Like I said, I don’t like applesauce, but this stuff was amazing. Very very good. Can’t wait to make a whole batch!

Cran-Applesauce (by ME!)
1 can of whole cranberry sauce
4 apples, cubed – I used golden delicious and left the skin on
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put everything into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until apples are tender. Mash apples until reaches desired consistency (I left mine fairly chunky).

6 Responses to “Frosted Strawberry Sugar Cookies”

hani@hanielas — October 30, 2013 at 7:03 am

That frosting must be amazing, real strawberries, yum.

Jennifer — October 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

I love that you were able to make this without artificial flavour or colour! So many ‘strawberry’ baked goods don’t even have real strawberries in them… thanks for sharing!!

• beantownbaker — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:11 am

I try my hardest to make pink foods without any artificial crap in them. I was excited to find this recipe for a strawberry treat with all real ingredients!

Shannon — October 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm

These look absolutely delicious, saving for summer! I had pink recipe in mind, but things have been so crazy here too that I haven’t had a chance to make it 🙁 I haven’t even baked an apple pie yet! Hopefully next weekend…

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

I completely understand! I didn’t get all of my pink recipes posted this month and I haven’t made anything apple yet this year!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

These cookies are adorable 🙂 I love strawberry treats!