12 Days of Cookies – Snickerdoodles

Turns out that Snickerdoodles are my sister’s favorite holiday cookie. This might not seem weird to anyone else, but to me, I was shocked when she told me. I don’t think my mom has ever made Snickerdoodles. I know that I haven’t ever made them. So I guess I’m not sure where she got this unexpected love of Snickerdoodles… But since they’re her favorite (and since she’s my favorite older-younger sister), I had to include them in my 12 Days of Cookies. Hi Brookie-Cookie!

I got this recipe from an insert that came with my Martha Stewart silicone baking mat. My dad gave me the mat for my birthday and I love it. Does just as well as my Silpats and I love the bright red color. You can see it in the picture of my Sugar Cookie post. Due to the large number of baked goods in our house, I decided to half this recipe. The dough comes together so easily, you could make these in a pinch. My half batch made exactly 2 dozen with my cookie scoop. I realized as I was looking at the recipe that I forgot to halve the amount of sugar used to roll the cookies in. Woops.

Snickerdoodles – from Martha Stewart – makes 4 dozen
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Put butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture.

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 20 (1 3/4-inch) balls (I just used my cookie scoop); roll in cinnamon sugar. Space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes.

My 12 Days of Cookies:
Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies
Day 6: Chocolate Chip Snowballs
Day 7: Peppermint Chocolate Cookies

10 Responses to “Homemade OREOS!”

Erin — April 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I’ve been wanting to try these for a long time! They look delicious!

Angie — April 23, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Oh, thank you for posting these… I know I could have just googled it but I was planning on looking up the recipe today because I think I’m gonna try them this weekend for lunch snacks next week!

Mrs D — April 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm

They look so yummy!

Joelen — April 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm

This looks great and it’s a recipe I have yet to try!

Kerstin — April 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Those are the perfect dunkable treats! They are so cute and look yummy too!

Suzy — April 23, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Great job on the oreos…They look delish, I’ll have to try them. Deb and hubby are enroute to Pioneer Woman’s ranch, if you didn’t already know. Keep up with her antics over the weekend!

Netts Nook — April 27, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Home made OREO’S I am impressed. They look perfect.

Memoria — April 27, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I made these a few days ago, too! I made Oreo cupcakes with them the next day. They were very yummy and quick to make!

Micco — December 5, 2009 at 12:17 am

I’m going to take the vegan approach to your recipe tonight, but I noticed you don’t have round cookie cutters. If you’re ever in need of an impromptu cutter (e.g. for biscuits), any round, empty shape will work. In fact, the other day, I made window cookies using a mug and a pill cap. No one was the wiser.

Excited to try the recipe – especially since I don’t have to cut anything. Thanks!

themilkmanswife — January 21, 2010 at 2:23 am

Thanks for sharing these with me! I’ll have to give this filling a whirl for my Oreo loving husband! 🙂