12 Days of Cookies – Chocolate Chip Snowballs

This cookies were one of my favorite holiday cookies growing up. I’ve never made them on my own until this year. I’m getting a little cookie-d out *gasp* so I made a 1/2 batch of these. I got exactly 2 dozen cookies using my cookie scoop to portion the dough out. Also, note that this dough is very dry and crumbly. You have to work it with your hands when you make the balls of dough.

These are somewhat messy to eat. It’s almost a guarantee that you’re going to get powdered sugar on yourself. Definitely on your hands and possible splattered down your shirt. But they’re definitely worth the mess. I used 1/2 mini-chips and 1/2 dark chips because I was trying to use up some bags of chips I had in the pantry.

Chocolate Chip Snowballs – recipe came from my mom, but there are tons out there just like it – makes 4 dozen
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chopped nuts – I used walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips – I used 1/2 mini chips and 1/2 dark chocolate chips
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift flour and salt together. set aside.

Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add egg. Stir in flour, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Shape into 1″ balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15-20 min. Cool and roll in powdered sugar (I like to put powdered sugar in a big ziplock bag and throw a couple cookies in at a time. Close the bag and shake to coat the cookies. Shake cookies or tap against counter to release any extra powdered sugar).

My 12 Days of Cookies:
Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies

11 Responses to “Homemade Snickers Candy Bars”

Shannon — October 22, 2010 at 5:23 pm

oh no! that’s too bad he had to guess… they look awesome and i bet they taste better too!

penniesonaplatter.com — October 22, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I will GLADLY be your taste tester for all these candy bars! Looks great!

Laura — October 22, 2010 at 5:59 pm

these look amazing!!! I want to try all three kinds 🙂 How do you think these would hold up if I gave them out as gifts a day or two after making them? Do they have to be refrigerated?

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 22, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I kind of want to go trick or treating at your house with these candies! I got a recipe from King Arthur Flour to make Twix bars that I’m dying to try out!

Jen — October 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Laura – I don’t know if they have to be refrigerated. I kept mine in the freezer and we snacked on them for over a week.

Fun and Fearless – If you decide to make Twix – let me know cause I want in on that!

Sandra — October 23, 2010 at 12:15 am

This is an entire blog about candy, chocolate bars, and sugary stuff? I think I have just fallen in love.
    I didn’t read down far enough in the post, I got too excited when I realized what I had stumbled upon, but i have to go back to see if you gave the Snicker’s bar recipe!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I’m sooooo going trick-or-treating at your place! You are amazing with your baking skills, absolutely amazing.

brettb734 — October 24, 2010 at 1:59 am

Those look delicious!!!

Nutmeg Nanny — October 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm

These look great! Thank you for submitting these to the ATTYC event!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) — October 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Snickers bars are definitely my favorite candy as well and I’m trying to stay away from them due to all the junk that’s in the ingredients list. I may have to make these some day (saving the recipe!).
    Your husband is hilarious – mine would probably have the same reaction. 🙂

Heather — November 6, 2010 at 2:00 am

These look so yummy! 🙂 How many Kraft caramels did you use? Thanks.