12 Days of Cookies – Chocolate Chip Snowballs

This cookies were one of my favorite holiday cookies growing up. I’ve never made them on my own until this year. I’m getting a little cookie-d out *gasp* so I made a 1/2 batch of these. I got exactly 2 dozen cookies using my cookie scoop to portion the dough out. Also, note that this dough is very dry and crumbly. You have to work it with your hands when you make the balls of dough.

These are somewhat messy to eat. It’s almost a guarantee that you’re going to get powdered sugar on yourself. Definitely on your hands and possible splattered down your shirt. But they’re definitely worth the mess. I used 1/2 mini-chips and 1/2 dark chips because I was trying to use up some bags of chips I had in the pantry.

Chocolate Chip Snowballs – recipe came from my mom, but there are tons out there just like it – makes 4 dozen
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chopped nuts – I used walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips – I used 1/2 mini chips and 1/2 dark chocolate chips
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift flour and salt together. set aside.

Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add egg. Stir in flour, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Shape into 1″ balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15-20 min. Cool and roll in powdered sugar (I like to put powdered sugar in a big ziplock bag and throw a couple cookies in at a time. Close the bag and shake to coat the cookies. Shake cookies or tap against counter to release any extra powdered sugar).

My 12 Days of Cookies:
Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies

12 Responses to “It’s good to be back in the kitchen!! Martha Stewart’s Buttermilk Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream”

Jigginjessica — July 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

These look and sounds great! Also thanks for the link to the cupcake carrier! I’ve been wanting to buy one for awhile now but didn’t like that Wilton’s only held 12.

Cate — July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Those paper cupcake liners are so pretty! I keep seeing recipes from that book and I really want to get myself a copy!
    Do you think you could add a few extra ounces of chocolate to the frosting without messing up the texture?

Erin — July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just posted cupcakes from that book today too! And I also have the Wilton cupcake carrier. Not to thrilled with it either, but I got it because I needed something to carry a huge sheet cake in. I would love a double decker.

Your cupcakes look great, as always! I need to work on my frosting skills. (Hence the reason I posted a recipe that could be frosted in a “rustic” style!)

Jen — July 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – Definitely check out that carrier. Not sure if you guys have a Container Store, but I think BB&B carries it now too.

Cate – I’m not sure if more chocolate would ruin the texture… Possibly. I was underwhelmed when I tasted the frosting by itself, but when it was on the cupcake, it was really good. The subtle flavor paired really well with this cupcake. I just really prefer my chocolate frosting to be really chocolatey!

Erin – Thanks! I’m always try to improve my skills. This was the first time I’ve tried the rosette. I usually pipe from the outside in.

Ingrid — July 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yay, for packages in the mail and new kitchens!

I like how you frosted the cupcakes, very pretty. I haven’t made SMBC yet but I’m gonna soon. Sounds good!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

Jennifer — July 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I need that cupcake carrier!! Thanks for the link to it!! Ive been on the out look for a great one for a while!

These are great cupcakes! Well done!!

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look awesome! What icing tip did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jen — July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I used my trusty old 1M tip for the frosting.

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Scott W. — July 23, 2009 at 12:34 am

The frosting is so delicate looking. Just the way Martha Stewart would like it.

Little Ewe — July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

love the recioes and will definately try them but as i live in the uk please could you give me imperial measures rather than cupa and sticks thanks:)
    Fiona

articia — July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when I make chocolate SMBC I actually use cocoa powder. I think it gives it a stronger chocolate flavor without messing with the texture. Maybe you could try adding some cocoa powder if the melted chocolate doesn’t taste bold enough.

also, I saw those snap n’ stack cupcake carriers at my local Meijer and bought 2. they weren’t cheap so as I was driving home I was deciding if I was going to regret spending nearly $50 on the 2 of them, but I couldn’t be happier with them. they’re come in *so* handy.