Pumpkin Pancakes with Cranberry Compound Butter

Well guys. We made it. One whole month of pink food (well, there were a few exceptions). Today is the last pink recipe for a while. Hubby was a good sport, but I think he’s sick of it.

This was honestly one of my favorite recipes of the month. The pumpkin pancakes are fluffy and light. And that cranberry compound butter has an amazing fresh tart and sweet flavor that compliments the pumpkin pancakes just perfectly.

We also enjoyed this cranberry compound butter spread on some toast. I think it would be a great condiment to have on the Thanksgiving table.

One Year Ago: Cranberry Sauce
Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Pasta and Pumpkin and Chocolate Caramel Corn
Three Years Ago: Halloween M&M Treats
Four Years Ago: Lemon Berry Muffins

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

Print Save

For the Cranberry Compound Butter
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup maple syrup
zest of 1 orange
1 cup butter, softened

For the Pumpkin Pancakes
In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.

In a separate bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree, egg yolks, melted butter, and vanilla extract together, mixing well until smooth.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing with a spatula until just combined.

In another small bowl, using an electric hand mixer (or whatever you have on hand), beat the egg whites until thick and stiff.

Gently fold the egg whites into the pancake batter, mixing until smooth.

Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat.

Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray, and, in 1/4-cup increments, cook each pancake until lightly browned on each side, about 1 minute per side.

Repeat with the remaining batter.

For the Cranberry Compound Butter
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries and syrup.

Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 10 minutes.

Transfer to a small bowl and add orange zest; cool slightly. Beat in butter until blended.

Pumpkin Pancakes recipe from The Curvy Carrot, originally from Bon Appetit, as seen on Epicurious
Cranberry Compound Butter recipe from Real Mom Kitchen

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.