Caramelized Onions

Caramelized onions have to be my favorite condiment ever. They’re so flavorful and can go on almost anything. I’ve blogged about putting them in a quesadilla and a dip so far.

After the burnt caramelized onions from last week, I decided I needed to come up with a method to make caramelized onions. And I figured that I’d post it here. I’m sure everyone out there has a way they do this, but this is what worked for me.

One Year Ago: Peanut Butter Brownies

Print Save

Caramelized Onions

Ingredients:

1 onion, cut in half, then sliced
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
pinch salt

Directions:

Place olive oil in a 8" skillet with a lid. Turn heat on medium. Once the oil is warm, add the sliced onion.

Put a lid on the skillet. After about 2 minutes, give the onions a quick stir. If they are starting to brown/burn, turn the heat down a bit. Put the lid back on and set the timer for 5 minutes.

The onions should be soft, but not brown at this point. Remove the lid and stir the onions.

Add a pinch of salt to the onions. Continue to cook without the lid for another 10-15 minutes until caramelized completely.

Recipe adapted from the method shown on Branny Boils Over

14 Responses to “Fish Tacos”

Erin — September 7, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Caramelized onions. I would always snarl at them until I actually tried them and realized they are delicious!

Domestic Princess — September 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Love Fish Taco’s! We like ours with: fish fingers, cabbage and ranch sauce w/ taco seasoning…ummm..

Nancy — September 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Try the true Mexican way: with shredded, crispy cabbage, it’s so good.
    I tried something I thought I wouldn’t like (that’s a very small percentage of the foods in the world!) and I was right, I totally disliked it – and that’s octopus!

Joe — September 7, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Brussel sprouts. I split them in half, and saute them with olive oil, butter, and garlic. They’re my new favorite vegetable, and my wife and I make them once a week.

On a fish taco note, I had always wanted to try them, finally did, and they were terrible. Turns out I tried them at a bad Mexican restaurant, even though the place was always packed. It was sort of a tourist trap, and eventually went out of business. I’d never thought to try them home, that sounds like a great idea.

Sarah — September 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I just had to comment…I was the same way with fish tacos and then i tried them and LOVED them. I can’t get enough! Glad I’m not the only one

Robyn — September 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Oh boy fish tacos… when I first heard of them I thought the concept was a terrible idea. I finally let my husband convince me to try them and I of course loved them. Like Nancy said, we eat them the Mexican/Baja way with cabbage. So good!

Now have you tried shrimp tacos?!

Jen — September 8, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I have not tried shrimp tacos. I will have to look into that.

stephchows — September 8, 2009 at 7:00 pm

So true!! I always giggle about them too lol. I had this sandwich that sounded so gross I wanted nothing to do with it, then a friend ordered it and made me try it… it was AMAZING!

roasted corn seasoned, mashed and mixed with diced red bell pepper, topped with cheddar, apricotjam and mixed greens, on wheat

Joelen — September 9, 2009 at 12:29 am

The use of sprouts in your tacos is a great idea! I’m going to have to try that!

nutmegnanny — September 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I’m not a big fan of fish but these look very delicious:) I used to turn my nose up to deep fried pickles but then I finally tried them…they are delicious!!!

Skylar Wolfe — September 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I was skeptical of fish tacos until I tried them. Now they are probably one of my top 5 foods. I love mine with cabbage, lime, and pico de gallo

qngdss — October 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Also used to turned my nose up at fish tacos! Had them again tonight, this time with swordfish nuggets (Hey the bits and pieces were only 4.99 per lb!) DELISH 🙂

cinderskitchen — January 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Jen, I too was a fish taco “snob” Couldn’t imagine whoever would think to do such a thing. You actually opened my mind up to trying them. I made salmon with taco seasoning ones and we really loved them, thanks to you. I told a friend whose husband goes to Alaska fishing and always brings home lots of salmon and halibut. They are coming over tonight and guess what we are having? SALMON TACOS!! Thanks.

Jen — January 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm