Peach, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Quesadilla

Last weekend, Hubby and I went blueberry picking. We also picked some peaches the same day. When we were picking the peaches they were all very hard but smelled delicious. We brought them home and put them on the counter wondering when they would ripen. Then, BAM! we had a bunch of ripe peaches two days later. (Yes, I did just channel my inner Emeril right there).

With all these peaches in the house, I was on the hunt for some great peach recipes. I saw this one pop up in Branny Boils Over and made it about an hour later for lunch.

I loved the combination of flavors in this quesadilla. Hubby gave a weird look when I told him what I had eaten for lunch, so I’m planning to make these again for lunch on Saturday so he can experience the awesomeness.

I did burn my caramelized onions a bit, so try not to do that when you make yours! Even with the slightly burnt onions, this quesadilla was great. The creaminess from the goat cheese and the sweetness from the peaches go perfectly together.

Print Save

Peach, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Quesadilla

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

2 8″ whole wheat tortilla
1 peach, thinly sliced
1 large onion
1 oz goat cheese

Directions:

Slice onions very thinly. Place in a large stainless steel skillet sprayed with olive oil. Turn heat to medium and cover onions, cooking for about 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook uncovered, 25-35 more minutes until onions are deep golden. Place onions in a bowl to cool.

Wipe out the skillet in which you cooked the onions and coat with cooking spray.

Place tortilla in pan and put the heat on medium. Arrange a quarter of the cheese on one side of the tortilla. Top with 1/2 of a sliced peach. Add another layer of cheese and 1/2 of the caramelized onions. Immediately fold the other half of the tortilla over and cook 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook 3-4 minutes on the opposite side. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.

Recipe adapted from Branny Boils Over

9 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Pie”

Lauren — June 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

Fantastic job with the lattice top! The pie looks awesome :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — June 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

It does look really pretty. I’ve never had the patience to do a lattice top. It sounds delicious!

Sherry G — June 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’m furious with myself for still never having a rhubarb pie! This is truly a good looking pie; very rustic and pretty!

bcallegra — June 30, 2010 at 1:43 am

Truly a work of art! I’m kind of intimidated by pies so I’m in awe of your pie making skills. That pie looks like it’s ready for a magazine cover! 🙂

nutmegnanny — June 30, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites 🙂

Jen — July 3, 2010 at 1:21 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Mine is in the oven as I type. Hopefully, it comes out half as good as yours!

Jenni @ Project Cookie 365 — July 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just have to thank you for this recipe!! It’s the first time I’ve made a pie that wasn’t all runny when cut. I was so happy to have pieces that stayed intact!!
    Also, I didn’t need the foil at any point – the crust didn’t overbrown, it was just perfect.
    I’ll be using this again and again!

Victoria — March 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

can i omit rhubarb and just put strawberries? will it make a difference?

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I haven’t tried using this recipe with just strawberries. You might want to cut back on some of the sugar. Rhubarb is very tart, so you always have to put a lot of sugar into rhubarb recipes.