Peach, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Quesadilla

Last weekend, Hubby and I went blueberry picking. We also picked some peaches the same day. When we were picking the peaches they were all very hard but smelled delicious. We brought them home and put them on the counter wondering when they would ripen. Then, BAM! we had a bunch of ripe peaches two days later. (Yes, I did just channel my inner Emeril right there).

With all these peaches in the house, I was on the hunt for some great peach recipes. I saw this one pop up in Branny Boils Over and made it about an hour later for lunch.

I loved the combination of flavors in this quesadilla. Hubby gave a weird look when I told him what I had eaten for lunch, so I’m planning to make these again for lunch on Saturday so he can experience the awesomeness.

I did burn my caramelized onions a bit, so try not to do that when you make yours! Even with the slightly burnt onions, this quesadilla was great. The creaminess from the goat cheese and the sweetness from the peaches go perfectly together.

Print Save

Peach, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Quesadilla

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

2 8″ whole wheat tortilla
1 peach, thinly sliced
1 large onion
1 oz goat cheese

Directions:

Slice onions very thinly. Place in a large stainless steel skillet sprayed with olive oil. Turn heat to medium and cover onions, cooking for about 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook uncovered, 25-35 more minutes until onions are deep golden. Place onions in a bowl to cool.

Wipe out the skillet in which you cooked the onions and coat with cooking spray.

Place tortilla in pan and put the heat on medium. Arrange a quarter of the cheese on one side of the tortilla. Top with 1/2 of a sliced peach. Add another layer of cheese and 1/2 of the caramelized onions. Immediately fold the other half of the tortilla over and cook 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook 3-4 minutes on the opposite side. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.

Recipe adapted from Branny Boils Over

14 Responses to “Fish Tacos”

Erin — September 7, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Caramelized onions. I would always snarl at them until I actually tried them and realized they are delicious!

Domestic Princess — September 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Love Fish Taco’s! We like ours with: fish fingers, cabbage and ranch sauce w/ taco seasoning…ummm..

Nancy — September 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Try the true Mexican way: with shredded, crispy cabbage, it’s so good.
    I tried something I thought I wouldn’t like (that’s a very small percentage of the foods in the world!) and I was right, I totally disliked it – and that’s octopus!

Joe — September 7, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Brussel sprouts. I split them in half, and saute them with olive oil, butter, and garlic. They’re my new favorite vegetable, and my wife and I make them once a week.

On a fish taco note, I had always wanted to try them, finally did, and they were terrible. Turns out I tried them at a bad Mexican restaurant, even though the place was always packed. It was sort of a tourist trap, and eventually went out of business. I’d never thought to try them home, that sounds like a great idea.

Sarah — September 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I just had to comment…I was the same way with fish tacos and then i tried them and LOVED them. I can’t get enough! Glad I’m not the only one

Robyn — September 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Oh boy fish tacos… when I first heard of them I thought the concept was a terrible idea. I finally let my husband convince me to try them and I of course loved them. Like Nancy said, we eat them the Mexican/Baja way with cabbage. So good!

Now have you tried shrimp tacos?!

Jen — September 8, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I have not tried shrimp tacos. I will have to look into that.

stephchows — September 8, 2009 at 7:00 pm

So true!! I always giggle about them too lol. I had this sandwich that sounded so gross I wanted nothing to do with it, then a friend ordered it and made me try it… it was AMAZING!

roasted corn seasoned, mashed and mixed with diced red bell pepper, topped with cheddar, apricotjam and mixed greens, on wheat

Joelen — September 9, 2009 at 12:29 am

The use of sprouts in your tacos is a great idea! I’m going to have to try that!

nutmegnanny — September 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I’m not a big fan of fish but these look very delicious:) I used to turn my nose up to deep fried pickles but then I finally tried them…they are delicious!!!

Skylar Wolfe — September 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I was skeptical of fish tacos until I tried them. Now they are probably one of my top 5 foods. I love mine with cabbage, lime, and pico de gallo

qngdss — October 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Also used to turned my nose up at fish tacos! Had them again tonight, this time with swordfish nuggets (Hey the bits and pieces were only 4.99 per lb!) DELISH 🙂

cinderskitchen — January 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Jen, I too was a fish taco “snob” Couldn’t imagine whoever would think to do such a thing. You actually opened my mind up to trying them. I made salmon with taco seasoning ones and we really loved them, thanks to you. I told a friend whose husband goes to Alaska fishing and always brings home lots of salmon and halibut. They are coming over tonight and guess what we are having? SALMON TACOS!! Thanks.

Jen — January 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm