Tzatziki sauce

Tzatziki sauce is awesome. If anyone knows how to properly pronounce it, I’d love to be enlightened. I just usually call it yogurt sauce. Hubby knows what I’m talking about when I say that. This sauce goes with a variety of things and you can even just dip veggies in it.

Dill is probably my second favorite herb behind Cilantro. I have a somewhat obsessive love with cilantro. But dill isn’t as versatile in my mind, so we rarely have it in the house. Some day I’ll have an herb garden. First I have to learn how to get our cats (well actually it’s just Nemo) not to eat any plant that is in the house. But I digress. So I love dill and put a lot in this sauce. Feel free to put however much you like.

One Year Ago: Chorizo, Shrimp,and Lentil Stew
Two Years Ago: 4th of July Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Print Save

Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients:

16 ounces (2 cups) of Greek yogurt
5 cloves of garlic, pressed
Half of a cucumber, seeded and chopped into small pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
fresh dill to taste

Directions:

Mix all of the ingredients together very well.

Place tzatziki in the refridgerator for at least 2 hours.

Stir again before serving.

Recipe adapted from The Rookie Chef

10 Responses to “Tzatziki sauce”

Lara — July 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

its pronounced “zat-zee-kee” and is a staple in Greek cuisine! Its great as a dip, as you point out, but it is also delicious if you use it to make a chicken gyro sandwich(pita pocket, grilled chicken, red onion, feta, tomatoes, and tzatziki.

P.S. I love your blog!

Renee — July 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I love tzatziki :)

I’ve always pronounced it like the above poster but our waiter at a greek restaurant pronounced it “tah-zee-kee” and I’ve been wondering since then if I pronounce it wrong.

Sweet and Savory — July 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Beantown Baker is a wonderful blog filled with good food and great photos. The recipes sound delectable. My Sweet and Savory is featuring your blog, this week. We are proud of our choice.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — July 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I just made this last week and posted a version on my blog and we LOVED it! So cool and creamy and tasty! Thanks!

roxan — July 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE LOVE LOVE dill, and also tzatziki. I put dill in so many things that it doesn’t belong in. :)

Jen — July 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Just wait to see what is coming on Friday Lara!

Amanda — July 7, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Sam will be excited for this recipe…tzatziki is one of his current faves.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — July 7, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Tzatziki sauce is so perfect for these hot summer days!

We Are Not Martha — July 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm

This looks so awesome! And now it has me craving some falafel. I made a super simple tzatziki a year or so ago, but yours is absolutely beautiful :)

Sues

Shannon — July 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm

My Greek friend told me it’s “tah-zee-kee”, which is how I pronounced it last week in Greece. Hoo-boy, my order was loaded with 10x more garlic than I ever put in my own batches at home! But it’s so, so good, and like a previous comment said, great for the summer when you need a break from plain ol’ salsa.