Tzatziki sauce

Tzatziki sauce is awesome. If anyone knows how to properly pronounce it, I’d love to be enlightened. I just usually call it yogurt sauce. Hubby knows what I’m talking about when I say that. This sauce goes with a variety of things and you can even just dip veggies in it.

Dill is probably my second favorite herb behind Cilantro. I have a somewhat obsessive love with cilantro. But dill isn’t as versatile in my mind, so we rarely have it in the house. Some day I’ll have an herb garden. First I have to learn how to get our cats (well actually it’s just Nemo) not to eat any plant that is in the house. But I digress. So I love dill and put a lot in this sauce. Feel free to put however much you like.

One Year Ago: Chorizo, Shrimp,and Lentil Stew
Two Years Ago: 4th of July Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Print Save

Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients:

16 ounces (2 cups) of Greek yogurt
5 cloves of garlic, pressed
Half of a cucumber, seeded and chopped into small pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
fresh dill to taste

Directions:

Mix all of the ingredients together very well.

Place tzatziki in the refridgerator for at least 2 hours.

Stir again before serving.

Recipe adapted from The Rookie Chef

13 Responses to “Christmas in July – Homemade Vanilla Extract”

SimplySweeter — July 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm
    How To Be Perfect — July 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Fantastic idea, I will have to give this a go x

Kristen — July 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm

What a great idea! Now I just have to think of what to pair this with to give as gifts.

The Cooking Photographer — July 26, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Hi Jen,

Great minds think alike!! I have been brewing vanilla extract for months for Christmas gifts.

I thought I’d answer your question here. I love your idea for frosting. It would be heavenly!

Laura

Jenni @ Project Cookie 365 — July 27, 2010 at 2:20 am

What? You can just add more vodka to your supply? I had no idea! I just used the last of my homemade vanilla, and it was soooo deliciously dark 🙂 Now that I know that, I’ll have to remember when I make my next batch! Do you have a favourite type of bean? I used Tahitian the last time, and it didn’t have that “normal” vanilla scent to it… I’ll have to find which beans give that traditional scent (though, really… any vanilla works for me!)

Calm In The Kitchen — July 28, 2010 at 1:41 am

This is definitely on my gift giving list.
    I received homemade vanilla once and it is still one of my favorite gifts.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — July 28, 2010 at 2:18 am

I have always wanted to try this!! My brother did it once but that was before I was into cooking and I totally didn’t appreciate it. I would now! Thanks!

bcallegra — July 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I think it’s the perfect idea for a gift and never even thought of making it myself. Of course, if I do end up making it, I’ll probably just end up using it all before I give it away! 🙂

jmanley — July 28, 2010 at 6:49 pm

how many beans did you put in the vodka bottles to start?.. love the idea.. Thanks

Jen — July 28, 2010 at 6:59 pm

jmanley – I put 24 beans in each bottle of vodka. They were the big bottles of vodka. As you can see in the pictures, I used skyy, which is great, but I couldn’t watch the color of my vanilla change! Definitely try to get clear bottles or pour the vodka into a clear jar so you can tell when it’s ready.

jmanley — July 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

thanks for the quick response.
    Love your website:)

KV — August 5, 2010 at 8:17 pm

what type of vanilla bean did you use – does it matter?

Jen — August 5, 2010 at 8:33 pm

KV – The type of bean you use will have an impact on the flavor. I used Bourbon-Madagascar beans for my vanilla.