4th of July Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting

We had two big cookouts to go to this holiday weekend. I wanted to use my star sprinkles and my flag cupcake liners so I needed a light colored cake and a dark frosting. I decided to take a vanilla cupcake and add chocolate chips to it. These cupcakes were really good. The cake was perfectly dense but still moist and crumbly.

The frosting really is to die for. By adding the hot cocoa mix, there is an extra creaminess to this frosting. Multiple people commented that it tasted like mousse. I couldn’t agree more. I even used some to dip my strawberries in to. WOW was that good. The frosting recipe did make a large batch. It frosted 24 cupcakes plus I have about 2 cups of frosting leftover.

Chocolate Chip cupcakes – adapted from Vanilla cupcakes from Crazy Delicious – original recipe from Martha Stewart – makes 24
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour (toss to coat chocolate chips)

Mix the dry ingredients

Add butter

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla

Add wet ingredients 1/3 at a time to the dry ingredients

Stir in chocolate chips – be sure to coat the chips with flour so they don’t all sink to the bottom while baking

Bake for 17-22 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean

Chocolate Frosting – from Joy The Baker
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Ovaltine – I used Ghirardelli hot cocoa

Cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Butter mixture will be very thick.
Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add powdered sugar. Turn mixer on low and mix in powdered sugar while adding milk and vanilla extract. As the sugar incorporates, raise the speed of the mixer to beat the frosting. Beat until smooth.
In a 2 cup measuring glass, stir together heavy cream and Ovaltine. Turn mixer speed to medium and pour cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream. Mix until incorporated.

If you’d like a thinner consistency, add heavy cream a tablespoon at a time until you’re happy with the frosting.

11 Responses to “Oatmeal Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

These cookies look great! Hope you feel better soon Jen!

Megan — January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

These look awesome. I love chocolate and cinnamon together.

Feel better!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 24, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Love oatmeal cookies! Hope you’re feeling better 🙂

Bridget — January 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Aw, I didn’t realize you hadn’t gone to the swap! What a bummer. But then at least you didn’t have to share these cookies. 😉

Alicia — January 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Yum. I really love the combo of chocolate and cinnamon! Glad they came out well.

Feel better!!

Shannon — January 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

hope you were able to get some rest and are feeling better! we missed you, but hopefully we’ll have another chance to catch up soon. these look great, and i’ve got some cinnamon chips in my house too 😉

Elizabeth — January 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I’m not sure I’ve had chocolate & cinnamon together before but I bet the combination is great! And if it’s in an oatmeal cookie, you can’t really go wrong.

Heather Lynne — January 25, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love cinnamon chips and put them in oatmeal cookies. I never thought of putting them in chocolate chip oatmeal cookies-they look amazing!

Blog is the New Black — January 25, 2011 at 1:22 am

Jenn, these sound awesome, and I have some cinnamon chips to use!

We Are Not Martha — January 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

These look wonderful! I’m sure being stuck in the house with a whole batch of them made you feel a little bit better, right? I love cookies with cinnamon chips in them!

Sues

Elizabeth — January 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

These look so delicious. Getting sick on important (dessert related!) events is the absolute worst. I think another cookie swap is in your future.