4th of July Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting

We had two big cookouts to go to this holiday weekend. I wanted to use my star sprinkles and my flag cupcake liners so I needed a light colored cake and a dark frosting. I decided to take a vanilla cupcake and add chocolate chips to it. These cupcakes were really good. The cake was perfectly dense but still moist and crumbly.

The frosting really is to die for. By adding the hot cocoa mix, there is an extra creaminess to this frosting. Multiple people commented that it tasted like mousse. I couldn’t agree more. I even used some to dip my strawberries in to. WOW was that good. The frosting recipe did make a large batch. It frosted 24 cupcakes plus I have about 2 cups of frosting leftover.

Chocolate Chip cupcakes – adapted from Vanilla cupcakes from Crazy Delicious – original recipe from Martha Stewart – makes 24
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour (toss to coat chocolate chips)

Mix the dry ingredients

Add butter

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla

Add wet ingredients 1/3 at a time to the dry ingredients

Stir in chocolate chips – be sure to coat the chips with flour so they don’t all sink to the bottom while baking

Bake for 17-22 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean

Chocolate Frosting – from Joy The Baker
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Ovaltine – I used Ghirardelli hot cocoa

Cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Butter mixture will be very thick.
Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add powdered sugar. Turn mixer on low and mix in powdered sugar while adding milk and vanilla extract. As the sugar incorporates, raise the speed of the mixer to beat the frosting. Beat until smooth.
In a 2 cup measuring glass, stir together heavy cream and Ovaltine. Turn mixer speed to medium and pour cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream. Mix until incorporated.

If you’d like a thinner consistency, add heavy cream a tablespoon at a time until you’re happy with the frosting.

18 Responses to “Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream”

steph@stephsbitebybite — June 24, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh my word!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Pass me a spoon! This sounds amazing, Jen!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 24, 2013 at 8:23 am

I need this ice cream right now!

Sues — June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I absolutely love cookie dough ice cream and this looks like a fabulous one! I love your bowls, too 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Thanks! They’re from Pier 1.

Katie B. — June 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Wow… I’m not a cookie dough ice cream fan for the same reason, but this is amazing. How much do you think the coconut milk plays in the flavor?

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

I personally don’t find coconut milk very coconuty. I know some people do. I think you could use the cow’s milk varieties in the recipe and it would taste similar. I just have to use the coconut milk since i can’t eat cow’s milk.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 27, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love this! Ice cream has to be my favorite dessert, this looks amazing 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I made this recipe from Tracey a couple of weeks ago too (I haven’t post about it yet) – so good!!!

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Isn’t it? It’s definitely one of my favorite ice cream recipes to date!

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — June 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

This sounds delicious! I’m with you–regular cookie dough ice cream is a snooze. (Unless I’m sharing a pint with someone who doesn’t mind if I go through and pick out all the goodies–but let’s be real–everyone minds!) I’ll have to try this variation–it sounds like the perfect solution!

• beantownbaker — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I agree completely – everyone does mind!

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) — July 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

This looks amazing!!! We would love it if you would link up at our We Scream For Ice Cream linky party/giveaway:
    Live the whole month of July.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Thanks for the link!

Melissa — July 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

Cookie dough ice cream is my favorite and this recipe makes me want to buy an ice cream maker immediately! Which kind do you recommend?

• beantownbaker — July 6th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I have the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. If you don’t have a Kitchenaid mixer, I’ve heard good things about the Cuisinart ice cream maker.

Kristen — March 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never made cookie dough ice cream but am wanting to try this one. Is there a way to substitute the egg yolks or leave it out?

Thanks!

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I would assume you could find a Philadelphia style ice cream recipe to use as the base with some brown sugar in it to give it more of a cookie dough taste. I wouldn’t recommend just leaving them out of this specific recipe though.