Pomegranate Rosemary Cheese Ball

Pomegranate, rosemary, and goat cheese combine in this grown up version of the classic cheese ball. Serve it at your next get together or party.

Pomegranate Rosemary Cheese Ball

Would you guys believe this is the first cheese ball I’ve made in my adult life? How crazy is that? When I was a kid, there was always a cheeseball at the big Christmas meal with the family. It was cream cheese based and had ham on the outside. Slathering some of that cheese and ham goodness on some buttery crackers was a real treat. At least, it seemed like a treat since that was the only time of year we got to eat something like that.

Pomegranate Rosemary Cheese Ball

This cheese ball is not the cheese ball of your childhood. It’s a sophisticated cheese ball combining unexpected flavors. The cheese spread itself contains three kinds of cheese: cream cheese, goat cheese, and white cheddar. Then it’s got some rosemary in there as well. After the cheese spread has been formed into it’s ball shape, it’s rolled in my all-time-favorite winter ingredient: pomegranate seeds.

Pomegranate Rosemary Cheese Ball

These little jewels are what make the cheese ball shine. They provide a burst of juice that counters the saltiness of the cheese. The crunch they provide balances well with the creaminess of the cheese. Basically, if you can’t find pom arils, don’t make this cheese ball. They make the recipe. If you can find pomegranate seeds, then make this cheeseball for your next get together. Or bring it to a Superbowl party. It might not be traditional football food, but everyone around you will thank you.

Two Years Ago: My Go-To Cream Cheese Frosting and Roasted Pumpkin and Squash Soup with Sage
Three Years Ago: Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting and Spinach with Pan Roasted Red Peppers and Goat Cheese
Four Years Ago: Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies and Overnight French Toast
Five Years Ago: Raspberry Meringue Cookies

Print Save

Pomegranate Rosemary Cheese Ball

Yield: Serves 10-12

Ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
4 oz goat cheese, at room temp
5 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
1 sprig fresh rosemary leaves, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Arils from 1 pomegranate

Directions:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the three cheeses and mix on a low speed.

Add the rosemary and salt and pepper, mix again until combined.

Lay a piece of plastic wrap on a flat surface. Using a spatula, transfer the cheese mixture onto the plastic wrap and form into a ball. Wrap the cheese in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the arils from the pomegranate and lay out on a towel to dry.

Remove the cheese from the refrigerator.

Place the arils on a large flat plate.

Roll the cheese ball in the arils, pressing down so they stick. You may need to fill in holes with the arils by hand in some places after rolling.

Keep refrigerated until about 20 minutes before serving.

Serve with crackers

Recipe adapted from She Knows

20 Responses to “Funfetti Oreo Cupcakes”

Christina — August 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

Happy blog birthday!! I love the idea of making these for Halloween with orange and black sprinkles…and black or cute pumpkin cupcake liners. I’m all excited to make these now. Fabulous job!

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 7:25 am

AND, you could use the Halloween Oreos that have orange filling in them if you wanted 🙂 Oh, now I’m thinking orange Oreos to get the orange/black colors. Then use just purple sprinkles. Or maybe purple and green to round out the festive Halloween colors.

JulieD — August 28, 2013 at 7:11 am

Happy blogiversary, Jen!!!!!!!!!! More exclamations! 🙂 these cupcakes look amazing! Congratulations on 6 great years! You’re one of the blogs I followed before starting my own! You’re amazing!

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 7:27 am

Thanks Julie! And thanks for all the exclamation points 😉 It’s crazy to think I’ve been doing this 6 years now…

steph@stephsbitebybite — August 28, 2013 at 8:09 am

6 years of blogging!!! These cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate!

Krystal R {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} — August 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

Happy 6th Blog-verisary!!! I can’t wait to see what the next 6 years will bring ya!! Been a loyal fan for the past 6 years or so!!

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

Thanks! Who knows where life is going to take me in the next 6 years, but I hope I’m still enjoying blogging. I know I’ll still love baking 🙂

Shannon — August 29, 2013 at 9:06 am

what a great way to celebrate 6 delicious years!! congrats 🙂

Melanie — August 29, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Do you think I could make these cupcakes in advance, freeze them, and then decorate them the day of a birthday party? Or do you think the oreos inside the cupcakes would be compromised by freezing?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:41 am

I’ve never put these Oreo cupcakes in the freezer, so I’m not sure how they’d work… If you try it, please let me know how they do.

Tracy | Pale Yellow — August 29, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Happy Blog-o-versery! I couldn’t imagine making oreo cupcakes more festive, but you certainly did so! Sprinkles are a fantastic idea!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:42 am

Thanks 🙂

Karen - Cinnamon Freud — August 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Happy blogiversary! I love any dessert with an Oreo in it: these cupcakes seem like an excellent choice to celebrate with!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:42 am

I love Oreos in desserts too!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 30, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Okay, funfetti AND oreo, just stop it please 😉 this is a dream dessert!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:43 am

My thoughts exactly 😀

Sarah C — August 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Happy blogiversary! I can’t remember who recommended your blog to me, but I’m so glad they did! And I think I will definitely make these cupcakes next weekend for the first weekend of the NFL season. Last year I bought a package of black and gold sprinkles (GO STEELERS!) and I’ve been saving them for a good occasion. I also have friends who request the mini ham & cheese sandwiches every single year on kick-off weekend, though we call them butter sandwiches. These cupcakes will be a great addition to the no-diet day, haha. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Thanks! Great idea calling those sandwiches butter sandwiches. I’m going to have to adopt that name as well 😉 These cupcakes would be great for NFL kickoff next weekend (even if I don’t agree with your choice in teams to root for…)