Braised Cabbage

Cabbage is one of the foods that made a regular appearance in our CSA boxes. And while I’m a big fan of homeamde coleslaw, Hubby is not. So we had to find another way to prepare our weekly head of cabbage.

Braised Cabbage

This recipe came from just trial and error, playing around until we found something that we liked. And it’s no wonder we liked it, it’s cabbage braised in bacon drippings. This recipes makes quite a bit of braised cabbage, but it reheats nicely, so we just eat the leftovers until they are gone.

Braised Cabbage

One Year Ago: Irish Soda Bread
Four Years Ago: Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Print Save

Braised Cabbage

You can use any kind of cabbage you have on hand

Yield: Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

4 slices bacon
1 head cabbage, chopped
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.

Add cabbage to pan, toss to coat with bacon dripping. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes until cooked through, but still slightly crispy.

Meanwhile, crumble the bacon.

Add bacon and vinegar to the pan and stir to combine.

Season with salt and pepper.

22 Responses to “Brasato al Barolo (Beef Braised in Wine)”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm

You are one lucky girl because that is an AWESOME anniversary gift! I only got a Le Creuset Dutch oven this past fall and I’ve mostly roasted with it with the cover off but I am totally going to get a replacement knob. Thanks for the tip!

Evan Thomas — January 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm

My family would love this. When meat is cooked for that long in juice and seasoning the flavor is always incredible. Thanks for the recipe!

Bridget — January 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm

What a perfect virgin use for your new Dutch oven! I love the addition of more vegetables too – what a great way to make this isn’t a one-dish balanced meal.

Megan — January 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That looks perfect for this weather! I always use my cover with the black knob, and nothing bad has ever happened to it. I do wonder though if I’ve ever come across a recipe that requires me to cook something covered at a higher temp that 375 (I’m thinking it’s not likely). Such a great gift!

Caroline — January 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I want to get a dutch oven just for something like this! What a wonderful anniversary gift! The beef looks melt-in-your mouth, and with a sauce made out of cabernet? To die for! Looks wonderful!

Jen — January 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Megan – I’ve seen a recipe for a nearly-no-knead bread that bakes at 450. But other than that, most things are cooked low and slow.

naomi — January 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

First off congrats on the anniversary milestone! This looks delicious. I’m bookmarking it now, since this definitely a recipe my family will love.

Shannon — January 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

what an awesome gift!! happy anniversary 🙂 i got a stainless steel knob, but haven’t yet exchanged it… what a great recipe, and i can just imagine how succulent that meat was!

EliFla — January 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Very good!!! Very very good!!! Hugs, ciao Flavia

Kimmy Bingham — January 18, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’m definitely ordering the replacement knob for mine as well. Great idea. This dish looks perfect for the cold weekend we’re about to have!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 19, 2011 at 4:07 am

Your pictures are absolutely amazing. Seriously amazing. I want to lick my computer screen.

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com — January 19, 2011 at 4:52 am

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on a fantastic gift!! I only acquired my first Le Creuset oven last May. I’m addicted! I have several pieces (which you can see on my blog). I LOVE the way they cook. I have a friend who was trying so hard to convince me to buy one. I got a great sale at the Outlet! I rarely use my stainless pots and pans any more. I now have two different kinds of skillets, too. I absolutely love them!

I have several recipes on my blog which I have cooked in my ovens. I cook my chili for four hours. The first time I made it my husband said it was the best chili I had ever made (we’ve been married 23 years! I also cooked Pioneer Woman’s pot roast with rosemary in it (also listed on my blog)… it was AWESOME!

If you ever get anything on your enameled pot that you can get off… try Bar Keeper’s Friend. I wrote Le Creuset and they told me that its OK to use it. 😉

I love all your recipes and can’t wait to see what you create in your new oven!

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

Nutmeg Nanny — January 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm

This looks great! I love my Le Creuset….it’s the best! You made a great dish to break it in…yum!

kitchenmisfit — January 20, 2011 at 2:38 am

Oh man that looks TASTY! And such a great anniversary gift!

Julie (thelittlekitchen.net) — January 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Awesome, wonderful gift. I just won my first Le Creuset french oven and like you pondered what to make with it! Thanks for the idea of the stainless steel knob.

Paul — January 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

A tip on that replacement knob: just go to a hardware store and buy a stainless steel kitchen cabinet knob along with a washer and bolt to fit. Bring the lid with you to the store to check the fit. This is MUCH less expensive than a “Le Creuset” knob and works great.

wgfoodie — January 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

This sounds absolutely perfect for a cold winter night. And with temps in the teens this week, I am definitely adding this to the list!

Peggy — January 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Your mom is way thoughtful for getting you guys that for your anniversary! I absolutely adore my dutch oven and bring it out every chance I get! I may have to bring it out fairly soon to try this beef because it sounds absolutely delicious!

Ashley — January 27, 2011 at 2:45 am

What a wonderful gift! And so great that you’ll put it to good use. Happy anniversary 🙂

a frog in the cottage — January 27, 2011 at 11:27 am

absolutely delicious !!!! i wish i could grab some !!

Robyn — January 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I keep coming back to this recipe! I just made it tonight for the in-laws and I think they might let me stay in the family. ALWAYS delicious 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 12th, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

Isn’t it delicious? Especially in this cold weather. Glad you guy enjoy it.