Way to nerd that up…

Leigh has started another blogging event: The Not Only Breakfast Club. The first theme is nerdy food. That’s right up our alley!

Hubby and I are engineers. We’re pretty much about as nerdy as it gets. We both got degrees in Aeronautical engineering. Our families like to say we’re rocket scientists even though neither of us work in rocketry. A lot of our friends are also enginerds. We often have to call each other out for “nerding” something up. You know, when someone takes it to that next level of nerdiness.

Some non-nerds can’t handle the nerdiness that we can bring to a party. One day after work, we were hanging out with my big bro and his fiancee. Big bro is an enginerd as well. Future sister in law asked if we knew what big bro was talking about when he said he writes “code” all day. I think she was looking for sympathy from us. We laughed and said of course we knew. In fact, I write code about 40 hours a week at work!

Anyways, back to the food. I saw this and almost laughed out loud. Take a look at it. Do you think this food is nerdy?

Come on, you can’t even handle how nerdy this food is. If you don’t see why this guacamole is nerdy, you are clearly not a nerd. Who remembers high school chemistry? Remember Avogadro’s magic number? 6.02×10^23 molecules in a mole? I remember struggling with this concept back in high school. Then one day it just all clicked. There aren’t actually even 6 avocado’s in this guac, only 5 in fact, but it’s still a great name for the guac.

Not only is this guacomole perfectly fitting for us, it also tastes AMAZING! And it comes in these two packets so you can save some for later. We threw one packet in the freezer to enjoy later. Definitely grab some the next time you are at TJs.
While I didn’t actually make any nerdy foods, I did use nerdy food in an awesome meal. I used my go-to turkey burger recipe and added a dollop of the nerdy guac and a handfull of sprouts. So tasty! Hubby had his on a bun and I just ate mine without.

11 Responses to “Roasted Beet Hummus”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That color is unreal! I’ve made beet green hummus but I’ll have to try using the actual beets sometime!

KV — October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

wow that is pink!! I’ve been trying to think of a recipe for natural pink too instead of just food coloring but I can’t figure anything out

Courtney — October 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What a great idea – it’s such a beautiful color!

Sara — October 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Pink is my favorite color! I’m not a fan of beets, but I would make this just for how cool it looks. 🙂

camelia — October 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You even made hummus look amazing!! That color is stunning! How pretty would that look on a table at a party?

Kerstin — October 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

How fun – I love beets and the fuchsia is such a conversation piece!

We Are Not Martha — October 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

This is SO pretty!! And perfect for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! I’m sure it’s delicious too 🙂

Sues

ChefBearden — October 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I have made a similar recipe in the past and when serving, place a swipe of creme fraiche in the center, makes it look even more dynamic! Great stuff, great way to get people to eat beets!

Miss Strawberry — October 18, 2010 at 9:08 pm

That is so PINK! And so CREATIVE!!!! Love it, love it!! I’ve never had beet hummus either…but it actually sounds delicious…

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

This looks delicious! It reminded me of borscht…yum!