Homemade Garlic Pizza Sauce

I don’t like Italian food. I know. It’s weird. I’ve almost lost some friends over that little fact. But it’s just not my thing. I think it’s because I don’t like pizza or pasta. Again, weird, right? I’ll eat it, but I don’t get excited about going out for Italian. Or cooking it at home.

Much to Hubby’s delight, I decided to whip up some homemade pizza sauce. We were getting together for a big group and I wanted to make some appetizers that everyone would enjoy. After making this Homemade Garlic Pizza Sauce, I decided that I might be able to be swayed about the whole Italian food situation…

As always, I put a LOT of garlic in this sauce. It came out thick and chunky and amazingly flavorful.

One Year Ago: Hasselback Potatoes with Spinach Pesto and Cinnamon Roll Bread
Two Years Ago: Sugar Cookie Bars
Three Years Ago: Double Chocolate Brownie Roll Out Cookies
Four Years Ago: Cadbury Egg Bites

Print Save

Homemade Garlic Pizza Sauce

Making your own pizza sauce at home is so simple and you'll be amazed at the flavor!

Yield: 2 cups

1 (14.5 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 Tbsp tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
pinch of cayenne
splash of red wine (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to rise (and pop) at the surface.

Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for another 15 minutes.

Serve warm. Store in fridge up to two weeks or freeze to use later.

Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven

11 Responses to “Roasted Beet Hummus”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That color is unreal! I’ve made beet green hummus but I’ll have to try using the actual beets sometime!

KV — October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

wow that is pink!! I’ve been trying to think of a recipe for natural pink too instead of just food coloring but I can’t figure anything out

Courtney — October 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What a great idea – it’s such a beautiful color!

Sara — October 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Pink is my favorite color! I’m not a fan of beets, but I would make this just for how cool it looks. 🙂

camelia — October 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You even made hummus look amazing!! That color is stunning! How pretty would that look on a table at a party?

Kerstin — October 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

How fun – I love beets and the fuchsia is such a conversation piece!

We Are Not Martha — October 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

This is SO pretty!! And perfect for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! I’m sure it’s delicious too 🙂

ChefBearden — October 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I have made a similar recipe in the past and when serving, place a swipe of creme fraiche in the center, makes it look even more dynamic! Great stuff, great way to get people to eat beets!

Miss Strawberry — October 18, 2010 at 9:08 pm

That is so PINK! And so CREATIVE!!!! Love it, love it!! I’ve never had beet hummus either…but it actually sounds delicious…

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

This looks delicious! It reminded me of borscht…yum!