Easter Candy Bites

This month’s Master Baker theme is Easter candy. At first, it sounds like it might be easy to bake something with Easter candy, but I had a hard time coming up with something. I wanted to highlight one of my favorite Easter candies. I planned to use either Starburst Jelly Beans, Peeps, or Cadbury creme eggs. The creme eggs are my absolute favorites and I prefer the mini-eggs because they are bite size and less messy. The big eggs are also a lot of sugar to handle all at once.

Immediately I thought of putting a Cadbury egg in a cupcake. But since the eggs are so sweet, I thought it would be overkill. Instead, I came up with this idea. It was a trial and error effort. I found out that if you bake creme eggs, the inside gets hard. I wanted the creme filling to remain in it’s gooey goodness state. I found a solution on the third try.

Cadbury Egg Bites – Adapted from Allrecipes.com – makes 18
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
15 unwrapped mini Cadbury creme eggs

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour and mix thoroughly. The dough should be somewhat firm. Roll into 18 small balls (I used a cookie scoop), place them on a plate and refrigerate for one hour.

While dough is chilling, unwrap creme eggs and put into a bowl in the fridge.

Press the chilled dough balls into the bottom and up the sides of tart pans or mini muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven. IMMEDIATELY upon removing from oven, push one mini-egg into each cup. Push them in as far as you can.

Allow to cook 5 minutes in the pan before removing to a cooling rack. These are best enjoyed the same day they are prepared.

9 Responses to “Rocky Ledge Bars”

Cara — March 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I’d love to have one of those for breakfast right about now 🙂 Can’t wait to see what else is in store this week!

yumventures — March 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

These look amazing and delicious! I have never made bars, but I love eating them! I can’t wait to see the rest of your recipes, and I’m sure they will inspire me to make some bars of my own 🙂

Sara — March 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

These look great! They’ve got a little bit of everything.

KV — March 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Yummm. I’m excited to see what else you post this week – I always make bars instead of individual cookies, so much easier!

ErinsFoodFiles — March 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Those bars will always have a special place in my heart, because that’s what I debuted my blog’s new look with! Plus… they are just insanely delicious!

Looks great!

Julie — March 23, 2010 at 1:02 am

I can’t even begin to tell you what I’d give for one of those right now!

Kelly — March 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

Those look delicious and definitely something my hubby would love. I’ve been in a baking funk lately and will have to try these this week.

On another note…since you’ve changed your blog around a bit, it’s taking a very long time to load. Is it just me that’s having this problem?

Jen — March 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Thanks for letting me know Kelly. I haven’t heard that from anyone else. I use Google Chrome and it doesn’t seem to have any issues, but I’ll definitely look in to it.

booksncooks — April 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

These were great using up all the random baking goods in my kitchen. Wonderful recipe!