Homemade Snickers Candy Bars

For those of you who know me in real life, you may remember a Facebook post claiming that I was looking for a new Official Taste Tester for my blog…

You see, Hubby’s lack of excitement about candy does lead to some issues. When I presented him with one of these guys, he said it was good and went on about his business. I asked him what it tasted like. He said I dunno chocolate and caramel and peanuts.

Of course, the correct answer is a Snickers bar, but Hubby didn’t think of that. He had to GOOGLE it to save his title as Official Taste Tester. It was a sad day in the Beantown Baker household.

As I’m sure you all figured out, once I decided to make the Three Musketeer’s bars, I decided to also make the Milky Way bars and the Snickers bars. I figured I was the majority of the way there so why not. These were by far my favorite. But that’s no surprise, because if I were to choose a candy bar of those three, it would be a Snickers bar without a doubt.

One Year Ago: Marshmallow Fondant on Chocolate Cupcakes
Two Years Ago: Pink Cupcake Bites

Print Save

Homemade Snickers Candy Bars

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed

Kraft caramels, unwrapped
Roasted peanuts, chopped

2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with wax paper.

In a medium bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave at fifty percent power, or use a double boiler.

Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat melted chocolate for about 30 seconds.

Add whipped topping to melted chocolate and beat until well combined and fluffy, 30-60 seconds more.

Spread chocolate mixture evenly into prepared pan (if mixture is too stiff, press into pan with lightly dampened hands). Place in freezer for 30 minutes.

Remove pan from freezer and turn chocolate mixture onto a cutting board; cut into one-inch squares. Return squares to freezer for another 15-20 minutes.

Melt the caramels according to package instructions (or make your own!). Allow caramel to cool slightly. Spread a small amount of caramel on top of each square of the chocolate mixture.

Dip caramel covered end of the square into chopped peanuts. Return squares to freezer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt milk chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and stir until well combined. Dip frozen chocolate squares into melted chocolate to coat. Place on wax paper to set. Keep chocolates in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Recipe adapted from Let's Dish

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

14 Responses to “It’s a boy! Dipped Oreo Pops”

Cupcake Activist — May 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Cute idea and they look so easy to make. Must try.

Cupcake Activist — May 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

And the stick makes them perfect for milk dipping.

jess @ pen n' paperflowers — May 13, 2010 at 6:48 pm

oh my…i’ve tried my hand at these and just about every oreo ended up cracking when i tried to insert the stick. *frowny face* not even dipping the sticks first seemed to help? do you have any suggestions on how to slide them in without any hiccups. *wink*
    thank you SO much for your help…yours came out adorable!

We Are Not Martha — May 13, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Wow, these are such a great favor idea! They look easy, but impressive (and delicious)!

Sarah — May 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I am loving all of these new parents/new baby posts, because friends of ours just had a baby boy last week and I can just do everything you’re doing! 🙂

Jess@pen – are you using Double Stuffed Oreos? If you’re using regular Oreos, maybe the center isn’t thick enough to support the lollipop stick between the cookie ends. Or maybe the lollipop stick isn’t thin enough (do they even make different sizes?). Just thinking out loud. Good luck. 🙂

Jen — May 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm

jen@pen – I agree with Sarah, be sure to use double stuff Oreos and thin sticks. You’ll notice that the craft store has at least two thicknesses of sticks. You want the thinnest ones. I did slide the sticks in slowly but didn’t have any issues with breaking cookies.

Kara — May 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Why must this kind of thing be posted when I’m trying to lose weight? 😉

Kim @ Frost Me! — June 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm

YUM! I love the idea of doing the initial on them!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

Shawnda — February 22, 2013 at 2:05 am

Just choose to tell you a piece of writing is really as awesome. All of the picture quality in your own place is definitely fascinating and are able to feel you’re an experienced for this idea. Fantastic along with your agreement i can to seize ones give food to to continue modified together with upcoming publish. Thx one million and you need to maintain this worthwhile succeed.

facebook.com — August 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Awesome post.

Pam — February 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

How far ahead can you make these and will the Oreo get soggy ?

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

We made them a week in advance and the Oreos did not get soggy.

Christina — March 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I can totally see the hiccups @jess, the Double Stuf Oreos have a far more thin and brittle cookie than the original Oreos. They crumble, split and crack very easily, I would imagine irregardless of stuffing volume, the structural integrity of the original Oreo cookie would hold up better for this project.

Lana — January 29, 2016 at 3:40 am