Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Hubby and I went apple picking a couple weeks ago, so I’ve been trying to use up our apples. We’ve been eating a lot of them just raw since we both take two apples in our lunch every day. I also made a big batch of cranberry applesauce, which Hubby LOVES. I was working from home the other day and typed apple into my Google Reader to see what would pop up.

Amidst all the cobblers, pies, and other desserts, there was this sandwich. My stomach was grumbling for lunch so I threw it together. Wow, this sandwich is awesome. And it’s really easy to make.

Start by caramelizing the apples in some cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

While the apples are cooking, get out two pieces of bread and add some cheese. I shredded some goat milk Gouda since that’s what I had on hand. Cheddar would be awesome too.

When the apples are done, pour them onto one of the pieces of bread. Then top the apples with the other piece of bread.

Add more butter to your pan and plot down the sandwich. Then walk away for about 3 minutes. You’re going to want to poke at it, but don’t!

Flip your sandwich and let the other side cook for about 2 minutes. I like my grilled cheese like I like my bacon and toasted marshmallows – burnt and crispy. If you don’t want yours this “well done” just flip is sooner.

Take the sandwich off the pan and let it cool a minute. Then cut in half on the diagonal. Grilled cheese just tastes better when it’s cut this way. Trust me. Try not to burn your tongue like I did. I just couldn’t wait to dig in.

I did want to add that this sandwich is very much like apple pie in a sandwich. So if you’re not up for something quite so sweet, try this – use 1/2 of an apple instead of a whole apple per sandwich and add a few slices of bacon. The more savory version is Hubby’s favorite.

Print Save

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 dash of cinnamon
1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 thick slices of good cheese (cheddar or gouda work well)
2 slices of good bread
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly.

Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Recipe from Closet Cooking

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

21 Responses to “Coconut Almond Cake with Blackberry Lime Curd”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am really very terrible at frosting/decorating cake :\ This came out way better than anything I could make!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Ha – I’m pretty bad too. That’s why I love putting stuff on the sides. Coconut does a good job of hiding my sloppy decorating skills.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Coconut and almond, you’ve already got me reeled in 🙂 two of my favorite flavors rolled into what looks like a moist, fluffy cake. YUM

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board — March 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and the texture is perfect! I love curd as a filling between cake layers but i never knew the trick for preventing it from seeping out – thanks!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Yea, it’s definitely very helpful. Even more so when you ACTUALLY do it 😉

Megan — March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

We’ve all had those cake experiences. It looks like it turned out well in the end! And it sounds delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in thinking we all need to project that all of our baking/cooking endeavors are hugely successful…

Ashley — March 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Regardless of any kitchen mishaps, this cake looks divine! Layer cakes always look so special, and the addition of fruit here makes me swooooon!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I agree. Layer cakes always look special 🙂

Michelle — March 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh this looks amazing. And aren’t we all our own worst critics when we bake? I can’t tell you how many times I say something is terrible and my husband looks as me like I’m crazy.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, it tasted delicious and no one knew about all the issues I had with the cake. I did want to keep it real on the blog and not give anyone any false sense that things are always easy for me…

Erica @ In and Around Town — March 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I always shy away from layer cakes – yours always come out well, I need some more practice I think! Your “mistakes” are great learning points – did not know about the frosting damn, but it makes so much sense!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about them. I definitely could have posted about this cake without mentioning any of the issues I had. I’m hoping they’ll help someone (myself included) to learn something for the next time they tackle a layer cake. Yours will definitely improve with practice. Mine surely are. I really want to make that coconut cake you just posted!

Shannon — March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i’m always hard on myself too, but you wouldn’t know by the taste i’m sure! looks absolutely wonderful, not to mention i’m drooling over the flavor combo 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree, I think we all are. I wanted to keep it real with this post in case anyone else found it to be a difficult set of recipes…

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yum, your cake looks so delicious and I really love the sound of the blackberry lime curd!

Laura Dembowski — April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love coconut cake, and blackberries are my favorite fruit. Such a great idea to put them together. This cake is gorgeous! I would happily take a large slice . . . or maybe the whole thing 😉

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Then you would definitely love this cake!

Kristina Koranek — August 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Could anyone post the blackberry lime curd recipe? The link is no longer working.

Thanks!