Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Hubby and I went apple picking a couple weeks ago, so I’ve been trying to use up our apples. We’ve been eating a lot of them just raw since we both take two apples in our lunch every day. I also made a big batch of cranberry applesauce, which Hubby LOVES. I was working from home the other day and typed apple into my Google Reader to see what would pop up.

Amidst all the cobblers, pies, and other desserts, there was this sandwich. My stomach was grumbling for lunch so I threw it together. Wow, this sandwich is awesome. And it’s really easy to make.

Start by caramelizing the apples in some cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

While the apples are cooking, get out two pieces of bread and add some cheese. I shredded some goat milk Gouda since that’s what I had on hand. Cheddar would be awesome too.

When the apples are done, pour them onto one of the pieces of bread. Then top the apples with the other piece of bread.

Add more butter to your pan and plot down the sandwich. Then walk away for about 3 minutes. You’re going to want to poke at it, but don’t!

Flip your sandwich and let the other side cook for about 2 minutes. I like my grilled cheese like I like my bacon and toasted marshmallows – burnt and crispy. If you don’t want yours this “well done” just flip is sooner.

Take the sandwich off the pan and let it cool a minute. Then cut in half on the diagonal. Grilled cheese just tastes better when it’s cut this way. Trust me. Try not to burn your tongue like I did. I just couldn’t wait to dig in.

I did want to add that this sandwich is very much like apple pie in a sandwich. So if you’re not up for something quite so sweet, try this – use 1/2 of an apple instead of a whole apple per sandwich and add a few slices of bacon. The more savory version is Hubby’s favorite.

Print Save

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 dash of cinnamon
1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 thick slices of good cheese (cheddar or gouda work well)
2 slices of good bread
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly.

Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Recipe from Closet Cooking

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!