Strawberry Blueberry Jam

Jam is a great way to use up strawberries now and enjoy them later. Hubby is not a big fan of jam. He just doesn’t really eat it. I love me some jam! And this jam is great!! The lemon flavor was definitely noticeable in a smidge of tartness in the jam, but I enjoyed that.

I have been loving this jam on a toasted bagel, but it is also great on a breakfast sandwich! I still haven’t been able to convince Hubby to try that tasty treat yet, but hopefully I can soon.

I’m so glad I added the blueberries to this jam. I haven’t ever had this jam without the blueberries, so I want to try that next.

One Year Ago: Turkey Chili

Check out my entire week of Strawberry recipes here.

Print Save

Strawberry Blueberry Jam

1 1/2 cups sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup blueberries

Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the berries and continue to cook over very low heat for 20 minutes, until the berries release some of their juices and the mixture boils slowly.

Cook until a small amount of the juice gels on a very cold plate. Pour carefully into 2 pint canning jars and either seal or keep refrigerated.

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten

12 Responses to “Homemade “Instant” Pancake Mix and Blueberry Pancakes”

Sara — April 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

These pancakes look perfect! I don’t make pancakes that often, but this mix would be an easy throw together to keep in the freezer. Yum!

Amy Kingman — April 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Great idea to freeze the mix. I have been making our pancake batter from scratch for a while now, and it’s nearly impossible to go back to the boxed stuff! They just taste flavorless and cardboard-y. I had been reluctant to make mix ahead of time because I didn’t want it to go bad. Thanks for the idea!

Lauren — April 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

What a great idea to have a homemade pancake mix on hand!

Nancy — April 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm

A good substitute for buttermilk – since most of us don’t keep it on hand, but do have milk in the fridge:

1 TBS white vinegar with enough milk added to make 1 cup. Allowed to sit for at least ten minutes, this mixture will clot up and mimic buttermilk sufficiently for most recipes.

Memória — April 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Those pancakes look amazing!! Oh my goodness.

i think it is a great idea about freezing milk, too. I buy whole milk for baking only so I need to do that.

SimplySweeter — April 2, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Wow. Those look so good I might have to whip some up……NOW.

Jen — April 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar in the substitute for buttermilk provided by Nancy.

One thing to note about this recipe though. Not only is the buttermilk needed for the chemical reaction, but it also provides a great flavor to the pancakes that I don’t think you get from using the substitute. Also, buttermilk will keep for a very long time in the fridge since it’s acidic.

AB mentioned in his cookbook that there are only four thinks he will not make without buttermilk: cornbread, biscuits, waffles, and pancakes. I tend to agree with him.

Kelly — April 3, 2010 at 1:24 am

What a great idea to make your own pancake mix and then when you want quick pancakes, you can have a healthy mix 🙂

Kerstin — April 3, 2010 at 3:33 am

Mmm, these look way better than a mix! Great tip to store the mix in the freezer too!

Sugar Bananas — April 6, 2010 at 1:04 am

Yum! I love blueberry ‘anything’. Alton Brown recipes are always winners. If you’re looking for an even healthier pancake recipe, check out my ‘fluffy whole wheat pancakes’ on my blog. I mix batches of the dry ingredients and keep them in the freezer. Thanks for posting – I’m off to buy some blueberries! Oh, and I’m a new follower 🙂

Memória — April 9, 2010 at 8:20 am

These pancakes look amazing!! Bookmarked!

Ashley — July 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Hey Jen I am eating these pancakes at this very moment. They are so fluffy and filling! May I borrow this recipe for my blog and link it back to you??