Strawberry Blueberry Jam

Jam is a great way to use up strawberries now and enjoy them later. Hubby is not a big fan of jam. He just doesn’t really eat it. I love me some jam! And this jam is great!! The lemon flavor was definitely noticeable in a smidge of tartness in the jam, but I enjoyed that.

I have been loving this jam on a toasted bagel, but it is also great on a breakfast sandwich! I still haven’t been able to convince Hubby to try that tasty treat yet, but hopefully I can soon.

I’m so glad I added the blueberries to this jam. I haven’t ever had this jam without the blueberries, so I want to try that next.

One Year Ago: Turkey Chili

Check out my entire week of Strawberry recipes here.

Print Save

Strawberry Blueberry Jam

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup blueberries

Directions:

Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the berries and continue to cook over very low heat for 20 minutes, until the berries release some of their juices and the mixture boils slowly.

Cook until a small amount of the juice gels on a very cold plate. Pour carefully into 2 pint canning jars and either seal or keep refrigerated.

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten

16 Responses to “Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This looks great! After apple picking last year, I was desperately searching for ways to use the apples in savory ways. Now one of my favorite recipes is a calzone filled with apples, proscuitto, brie and sage. SO good!

The Red Headed Mama — October 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My husband used to laugh at me when I told him that as kids we would do apple pie filling and cheese in the hobo pie maker. It was fabulous…I’m going to show him this post to prove that I’m not crazy. We’re apple picking this weekend, so I’ll be sure to try this out!

Melissa — October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I definitely need to think of some savory ways to use up all of the apples we pick every fall, and stop making sweets! This looks like a great recipe!

Heavenly Housewife — October 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a great apple treat. I’ve got loads of apples this years from my trees and am looking for yummy recipes to use them up. After all, a girl can only eat so much apple sauce LOL.
    *kisses* HH

Cupcake Activist — October 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I didn’t realize this was going to be a sweet sandwich. It looks so yummy! I once had a grilled cheese sandwich with thinly sliced apples in the middle and it was delicious!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I love what you did with your leftover apples! This looks incredible…love the apple and cheese combinations!

feerlessfood.com — October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

This recipe looks really tasty! I tried a similar flavor combo, but it was apple, cheddar omelete. I needed as apple with more flavor- the one I used wasn’t tart enough!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

What a great way to use up apples…yum!

Val — October 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This made my mouth water. I have to make this soon.

Boston Food Diary — October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Looks delicious Jen! I love the combination of apples and gouda! After my apple picking adventures I am definitely seeking lots of good apple ideas as well!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This looks like a great comfort food sandwich! I spent yesterday baking apple pies and snacking on cheese and crackers. I snuck in a few apple slices on my cheddar & crackers – yum!

Evan B — October 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Um YES please! ps. everyone in the office loved your brownie recipe- it has totally become my go-to 🙂

Jen — October 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love making grilled cheese with a really great goat’s milk gouda–it’s our new favorite grilled cheese–but I think I’d die and go to heaven if I made it this way! thanks for sharing.

newlywed — October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This looks delicous! I love the combination of apples and cheese. It is great to see a savory apple recipe…I have lots too!

.dear.jenny. — November 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

HUSH! oh my…looks amazing!!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm