Dark Chocolate Frosting Recipe

I’ve been on the hunt for a great chocolatey frosting. When in doubt, I’ve always just gone with ganache. You can dip cupcakes in ganache for an easy slick cover. Or you can let it thicken up and spread it on with a spatula. But I wanted something I could pipe in pretty swirls on cupcakes.

Now I’ve tried the Hershey’s chocolate frosting and wasn’t a huge fan. I’ve also tried chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream. I love SMBC but that stuff just wasn’t chocolatey enough. That’s where this frosting comes in.

I saw this recipe pop up on My Baking Heart and instantly perked up. It’s a humorous story about her Count Chocula obsession. I wasn’t so much interested in a Count Chocula cupcake, but the frosting on top looked like a great chocolate frosting. And boy, is it great!

When I made this frosting I actually didn’t have any milk in the house. It happens quite often around here. Since I’m lactose intolerant and Hubby isn’t a huge milk drinker, we just don’t keep it in the house. On a side note, when my brother A was here, he went through a half gallon in a day. I’m pretty sure he would have drank more if I had more in the house. But I digress. Back to this frosting. I had no milk, but I had some Baileys. So I subbed that in place of the milk. It was great. Feel free to use whichever you prefer.

Remember how I mentioned I had bought a boat load of pink sprinkles for really cheap. Yea, these are the same sprinkles again. I think I’ll be using them for years!!

Two Years Ago: Pina Colada Cupcakes

Print Save

Dark Chocolate Frosting

Yield: Makes enough for 24 cupcakes

6 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk (or Baileys)

Cream butter and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.

Slowly add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency, then beat another 5 minutes creamy.

Recipe adapted from My Baking Heart

12 Responses to “S’mores Cupcakes”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I think we both know that I’m not a baker…yet I still think I need a kitchen torch! Can I help that I’m addicted to kitchen gadgets?

Eliana — October 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love using my kitchen torch. I think I will have whip it out soon to make these beauties. They look super delish.

Courtney — October 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm

These are ADORABLE! I don’t even like S’mores, but I might try these.

Daisy — October 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Kinda jealous of your kitchen torch. These smores goodies have me drooling all week!

Jen — October 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm

These look great — love s’mores cupcakes. I love making these because the kitchen torch is fun to play with.

stephchows — October 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm

ok now all I want is smores in every variety possible LOL YUM!!!!!! thanks so much for the vote!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm

This looks so heavenly! I’ll be dreaming about that frosting tonight…

Jami — October 10, 2010 at 3:20 am

I recently made some s’mores cupcakes using a piece of graham cracker as a crust, but I thought it tasted salty. Of course, I used a mix, which probably did have added salt. I am going to try this method. I’d also love to try the torch! woo hoo!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:39 am

These look delicious! I have got to try that marshmallow frosting…sounds amazing!

Xiaolu — October 18, 2010 at 12:53 am

I made and blogged about these and they’re so delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. I did increase the amounts of everything but the cake batter since I had so much left over.

breader33 — January 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm

These are just, amazing. i used the Hershey’s ‘special dark’ cocoa powder, and they were to die for. i will definitely be making these again.

The Addicted Baker — March 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I just made delicious s’more cupcakes. Check it out: http://theaddictedbaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/smore-cookies.html