CupcakeCamp Boston Recap

The sugar high has finally worn off and I wanted to share a recap of Cupcake Camp Boston. I had a lot of fun checking out all the cupcakes. The final numbers came in that we had ~470 people show up and over 3000 cupcakes! We had a line pretty late in the evening, but everyone did make it in the door and we had enough cupcakes for everyone. We even had a few leftover at the end of the night.

As I mentioned last week, I made my Oreo Cupcakes and my Mini Brownie Cookie Dough cupcakes. I decided to put little flags in the cupcakes so people would know what they were eating. On one side they said “Recipe at www.beantownbaker.com” and on the other side it said what kind of cupcake they were.

As the evening went on, quite a few people commented that it was a good idea. A lot of people were grabbing cupcakes then heading to the bar to share them with friends and it was difficult to remember where they got the cupcakes and what flavor they were. I’ll definitely be sure to do that next time again.

I also got feedback that making mini cupcakes was a great idea. Since people were tasting multiple cupcakes, they were cutting them in half or smaller. With the mini cupcakes, that wasn’t necessary.

I wanted to show this picture of my Oreo cupcakes before they got frosted. You can really see the huge chunks of Oreos in the cupcakes here.

I tried to take some pictures that night so I’d remember the evening. This was the line at around 6:45. By around 8:30 it was a couple blocks to the end.

I tried this Cadbury egg cupcake from Cupcake Fetish. They came all the way from Maine to be at CupcakeCamp! It was a basic vanilla cupcake with a mini Cadbury egg baked right in the middle. The filling in the egg in the middle got hard from the heat (I was expecting that since I’ve baked with Cadbury eggs before), so it was a bit difficult to eat, but the vanilla cupcake and frosting were great.

This guy had a whole tray of cupcakes and spilled them on the floor. It was a sad moment…

This was a chocolate lover cupcakes from Sugar Bakery. We didn’t go there last year on the Cupcake Crawl because they aren’t located near the T. I would have to say this was one of my favs of the night. Very chocolatey and tasty.

Here is the tray of goodies we tried. There were five of us taste sharing these cupcakes. A crowd pleaser was the Almond Joy cupcake shown at the top. It was also from Cupcake Fetish.

This was my last cupcake of the night (from Treat). I popped it in my mouth as I was driving away. It was so cute and I honestly don’t remember much about it except that the frosting was great.

To see all of my pictures from the evening, check out my Flickr album. And be sure to check out the Flickr pool for CupcakeCamp Boston 2010 and add your photos if you haven’t already. To see a list of all the bakeries that were at Cupcake Camp, check out the Cupcake Camp Blog.

Two Years Ago: Zwetschgenschnecken, aka Plum Rolls

24 Responses to “Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Goat’s Milk Ice Cream”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

This looks amazing, Jen. I think both my husband and I are slowly becoming more lactose intolerant as we get older. Goat milk ice cream may be something we’ll try soon. Can’t wait to see what other non-dairy ice creams you come up with!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Thanks! Like I said, coconut milk has been my go-to so far, but it’s definitely fun to try new milk varieties.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

Looks incredible, I need to find a local goat milk supplier…

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Yea, I definitely want to find someone local to get my goat milk from. For now, I’m just happy that I can find it at all. Even back in Boston, it wasn’t on the shelf at my grocery store.

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — June 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

This looks amazing and I love that you used goat milk..so interesting!

bec — June 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm

i had to give up gluten a few months ago and just realized a few weeks ago that i also must give up dairy. i am not sure if it is lactose or casein that i am intolerant of, but i love that you are doing stuff that i may be able to eat someday! (also, we bathe Olive is goat’s milk. it’s great for her eczema!).

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 6:58 am

Going dairy free isn’t too bad honestly.

Oh wow, bathing in goats milk sounds so luxurious!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh wow, this looks so perfect! I’d love to try this soon 🙂

Aimee @ Violet Femme — June 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Sounds delicious, I’ve not thought about using goats milk in ice cream before but would love to try it!

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

You should definitely try it!

Clarissa — June 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!! I gave up cow dairy in the winter (makes me break out) and have been glaring at my ice cream maker, because sorbets are just not the same and coconut ice cream is good, but so coconutty! I’ve been wondering if I could make ice cream with goat’s milk and now I know I can! The canister just went into the freezer 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Nice – glad I could help. I don’t find coconut milk very coconuty… I assume you drink goat’s milk so you’re familiar with the flavor? It definitely has a distinct taste.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — June 25, 2013 at 2:58 am

Goat milk?? I bet it goes fantastic with chocolate. I love this combination, I can’t wait to try it, yum!!

Mary — July 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

In the ingredients, you say condensed goat milk, but the directions say heavy cream. Which did you mean? Really excited to try out this recipe!

• beantownbaker — July 22nd, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Sorry about that. I used condensed goat milk, not heavy cream. I’m updating the recipe now.

stone linda — September 4, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hello,
    I want to place an order from you to our store in The Netherlands.I want to know if you can ship here and accept credit card as a form of payment.
    Reply back asap
    Thanks

• beantownbaker — September 4th, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I don’t sell anything.

Eric — September 21, 2013 at 1:15 am

My wife and I raise a couple of dairy breed goats for home milk use. I don’t find that the milk tastes goaty, it’s actually richer and better tasting than cows milk in my opinion. Although before we discovered that we should pasteurize the milk asap after filtering, we did notice a musky kind of taste…… but with pasteurization started within a minute or two after milking, our milk is just as good or better than the flavor of cows milk. I just ordered an icecream maker. We will definitely use this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Fresh goat milk is not something I have tried. I would love to get my hands on some though!

Patricia Butler — January 2, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m looking forward to trying this! We got hooked on Laloo’s goat milk ice cream several years ago, but it’s been increasingly difficult to find, and very expensive ($7.79 a pint as of 2 days ago). It would be great if I could find a homemade alternative.

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

I agree – Laloo’s is good, but quite expensive. Let me know what you think of this recipe if you try it out.

Julia — March 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm

GOOD NEWS!! Laloos is filling the pipeline and more flavors are coming soon to you your local Whole Foods store.

Cindy — May 13, 2015 at 8:16 am

I have dairy goats so will toss in my 2 cents worth 😉 Not all goat milk is the same!!! If you like the goaty taste, go ahead and buy your milk at the store. Personally I find the goaty taste vile and disgusting! So for those who want to try goat milk but don’t like that nasty goaty taste, you want raw milk, and the breeds vary in taste a lot. Nigerian Dwarf goats have the highest butterfat and do not have the goaty taste. Their milk is really good! Nubians are second best. It would be worth your while to find a local source of nice raw milk from either of those breeds. Healthier too, as raw milk has all the nutrients nature intended.

LeAnn Harner — July 3, 2016 at 8:23 am

With rare exceptions – goat’s milk should not taste goaty. I can’t comment about grocery store milk, but would urge you and your readers to look for direct-from-the-farm sources. There are a few goats with funny tasting milk – and those work great for making blue cheese! If a goat is healthy, has a good diet with the right balance of vitamins and minerals (very important!), and the milk is handled in a clean manner with quick cooling, it should have a rather sweet taste. I have Nubians and like Cindy above, appreciate the high butterfat. If you’re looking for a milk source – try realmilk.com. There’s also tips there for buying safe milk.