CupcakeCamp Boston Recap

The sugar high has finally worn off and I wanted to share a recap of Cupcake Camp Boston. I had a lot of fun checking out all the cupcakes. The final numbers came in that we had ~470 people show up and over 3000 cupcakes! We had a line pretty late in the evening, but everyone did make it in the door and we had enough cupcakes for everyone. We even had a few leftover at the end of the night.

As I mentioned last week, I made my Oreo Cupcakes and my Mini Brownie Cookie Dough cupcakes. I decided to put little flags in the cupcakes so people would know what they were eating. On one side they said “Recipe at www.beantownbaker.com” and on the other side it said what kind of cupcake they were.

As the evening went on, quite a few people commented that it was a good idea. A lot of people were grabbing cupcakes then heading to the bar to share them with friends and it was difficult to remember where they got the cupcakes and what flavor they were. I’ll definitely be sure to do that next time again.

I also got feedback that making mini cupcakes was a great idea. Since people were tasting multiple cupcakes, they were cutting them in half or smaller. With the mini cupcakes, that wasn’t necessary.

I wanted to show this picture of my Oreo cupcakes before they got frosted. You can really see the huge chunks of Oreos in the cupcakes here.

I tried to take some pictures that night so I’d remember the evening. This was the line at around 6:45. By around 8:30 it was a couple blocks to the end.

I tried this Cadbury egg cupcake from Cupcake Fetish. They came all the way from Maine to be at CupcakeCamp! It was a basic vanilla cupcake with a mini Cadbury egg baked right in the middle. The filling in the egg in the middle got hard from the heat (I was expecting that since I’ve baked with Cadbury eggs before), so it was a bit difficult to eat, but the vanilla cupcake and frosting were great.

This guy had a whole tray of cupcakes and spilled them on the floor. It was a sad moment…

This was a chocolate lover cupcakes from Sugar Bakery. We didn’t go there last year on the Cupcake Crawl because they aren’t located near the T. I would have to say this was one of my favs of the night. Very chocolatey and tasty.

Here is the tray of goodies we tried. There were five of us taste sharing these cupcakes. A crowd pleaser was the Almond Joy cupcake shown at the top. It was also from Cupcake Fetish.

This was my last cupcake of the night (from Treat). I popped it in my mouth as I was driving away. It was so cute and I honestly don’t remember much about it except that the frosting was great.

To see all of my pictures from the evening, check out my Flickr album. And be sure to check out the Flickr pool for CupcakeCamp Boston 2010 and add your photos if you haven’t already. To see a list of all the bakeries that were at Cupcake Camp, check out the Cupcake Camp Blog.

Two Years Ago: Zwetschgenschnecken, aka Plum Rolls

37 Responses to “Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows”

Megan — December 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I love the red swirl in these. They look so festive! Homemade marshmallows are seriously so much better than store-bought.

Jen — December 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Completely agree Megan. And the best part is they melt and get all gooey in the hot chocolate!

Meesh — December 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm

gorgeous! and so festive. what a great idea.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

These are awesome! I’m sure your friends and family will love this thoughtful gift!

Daisy — December 21, 2010 at 5:14 pm

these are the prettiest marshmellows I have ever seen. you could make them for every winter season (throw some sparkles in for news years, green for st pattys. pastels for easter!) oh the possibilities.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 21, 2010 at 6:15 pm

So pretty! I hear people talk about how easy it is to make homemade marshmallows all of the time – I’ve really got to make some.

dana — December 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Peppermint marshmallows? I think this is the first time I am hearing about it. Anyway it sounds fun and looks yummy.

Blog is the New Black — December 21, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Looks great!

Evan @swEEts — December 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I bought all the ingredients for marshmallows but haven’t made them yet.. this peppermint variety sounds awesome though!

kitchenmisfit — December 22, 2010 at 2:38 am

I really need to get off my butt and make some homemade marshmallows! No excuses!

-Amanda

LimeCake — December 22, 2010 at 2:38 am

These are so darned pretty, and festive! Happy holidays!

SomeSojourns — December 22, 2010 at 6:31 am

holy clever. these look so yummy.

Anne @thefitbridesmaid — December 22, 2010 at 6:46 am

Those look so professional. It’s amazing what a little red food coloring can do.

Caroline — December 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

These are beautiful! I have made marshmallows a few times, and only once have I had a problem with them.. I put them into an airtight container and came back about an hour later to find that they had been – at least what it looked like to me – weeping. I’m not sure what happened, I dusted them with powdered sugar after cutting, and thought I did everyting right. I was curious if anything like that has that happened to you before? These marshmallows look like perfection!

Dina — December 23, 2010 at 12:25 am

those would be great in a cup of hot cocoa!

Ashley — December 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Jen…these are GORGEOUS!! I keep meaning to try my hand at marshmallow making. These look divine!

Jen — January 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Caroline,

I have never had that problem myself. It sounds like there may have been a lot of humidity in the air? Was it during the summer? I haven’t made marshmallows during the summer yet, but that’s the first thing that pops to mind.

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com — January 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

I found your site from Pioneer Woman’s Group 3 photography assignment. Congrats on being selected!!

I love the photo and am looking forward to trying your marshmallow recipe.

I’m looking forward to looking at your other posts, too. 😉

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

zzzy — March 11, 2011 at 12:45 am

Where can one buy a marshmellow make/machine??

snippets of thyme — April 7, 2011 at 7:16 am

I cannot wait to make these peppermint marshmallows at the holidays. They are so pretty and looks so nice in that hot chocolate!

Jo and Sue — July 15, 2011 at 7:50 am

Your pictures look soooo amazing 🙂 I did a blog recently about marshmallows (If you are interested – http://joandsue.blogspot.com/2011/07/great-marshmallow-debate.html ) Homemade marshmallows are rediculously addictive!

Virginia — November 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Important pre-holiday question: how big are the gift bags you use for your marshmallows &/or hot cocoa mix?  I’m looking at the “smalls” from KA (14.5″ x 6″), but I really have zero intuition for how that size translates to volume of, e.g, marshmallows. =)  thanks!

• beantownbaker — November 8th, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Great question. I will have to go home and check the size of the bags. I know I got them at Michaels. The marshmallows went into small bags that were almost a smidge too small and the hot cocoa went into larger bags. I’m sure that isn’t very helpful… Let me get back to you on that.

• beantownbaker — December 19th, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Ok I didn’t have any of the bags left. Both of them were Wilton brand from Michaels craft store. Based on what I see online, it looks like the marshmallows were in a bag that was 3″x4″. They were a smidge small. The cocoa mix was in a bigger bag, looks like 4″x6″ and those were just the right size.

Sarah C — December 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I’m not sure what I did wrong but these were a total disaster!  The marshmallow wouldn’t pour out of the bowl and seemed like it had already begun to set by the time I was taking it out (even though I only kept it in the mixer for about 13 minutes).  Do you think they were in the mixer for too long?  I was going by timing as well as thick/lukewarm but maybe it was still too long.  The bit of them that I could get into the pan wouldn’t spread so I couldn’t even use what I had because they would have been horribly shaped and not gift-worthy.  I ended up having to just dump everything in the trash.  I’m so disappointed because I was really looking forward to an easy homemade gift for co-workers.

• beantownbaker — December 19th, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

So sorry to hear that they didn’t turn out for you 🙁

• LadyPerson — January 1st, 2012 @ 12:58 am

You probably cooked the sugar syrup too long. I bet if you’d let them fully set, you’d have ended up with harder than normal marshmallows. Check your candy thermometer to make sure it’s accurate.

LadyPerson — January 1, 2012 at 1:01 am

Sounds like you didn’t cook the sugar syrup long enough. They MUST get to the proper temperature, or the marshmallows won’t set properly. If the syrup didn’t cook enough, the resulting marshmallow will be too soft and won’t hold it’s shape properly. Cook it too long, and the marshmallows will be too hard when you want fluffy.

• Jenny K., Colorado — November 29th, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I would like to add that when cooking candy to a certain temperature, you must take into account your altitude. I have not made these yet, but will adjust to my own 6,000 feet in altitude. For example, when making English Toffee, I adjust 8 degrees LOWER for the target temperature. Otherwise, it overcooks.You can Google “altitude adjustments for candy making” .

Molly — November 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Would a hand mixer work or would the marshmallows burn out the motor?

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

I’ve never done it with a hand mixer, but I do know that my stand mixer gets pretty hot while it’s whipping up the marshmallows…

• Mary Christmas — December 21st, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

I made these last night with a simple handmixer & whisk attachment (Hamilton Beach® 6-Speed Hand Mixer)…worked great! It has a “bowl rest” so your arm doesn’t get too tired 🙂

• beantownbaker — December 21st, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

So glad it worked out for you!

KS — December 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Anyone know if an alternative syrup would work (like light brown rice syrup)? I want to make these but my son is allergic to corn. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — December 15th, 2012 @ 9:40 am

I have never tried a substitute. Maybe another reader will know. If you experiment and find something that works, let me know!

Mary Christmas — December 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Delicious, and they look just like the picture!!

To save your pan, lay down foil first, and then spray with cooking spray and the powder mixture as instructed. At the end, lift the foil out to dump the marshmallows on the cutting board.

• beantownbaker — December 21st, 2012 @ 9:11 pm