Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

My sisters and I like to bake when we get together. It’s just something fun we all enjoy. My older-younger sister had recently tried some strawberry-rhubarb pie and really wanted to make something with those flavors. After searching the Internet, we came across this recipe and decided to try it. I’m so glad we did. These bars are perfectly sweet and tart and so easy to make.

One year ago – Blueberry Lemon Basil Cupcakes

Strawberry Rhubarb Squares – from Betty Crocker – makes 20 barsCrust and Topping1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup chopped nuts
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Strawberry-Rhubarb Filling2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
4 eggs
4 cups sliced strawberries (2 pints)
4 cups sliced rhubarb (8 stalks)

Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and vanilla with spoon. Stir in 2 cups flour, the oats, nuts, baking soda and salt until crumbly (we needed to add more oats and flour, probably another cup of each. We also used our hands to mix this). Reserve 2 cups crumbly mixture. Press remaining crumbly mixture in ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan.

In large bowl, mix granulated sugar, 2/3 cup flour, the milk and eggs with spoon until smooth. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb. Spoon filling onto crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumbly mixture.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is set. Cool slightly, about 30 minutes. For serving pieces, cut into 5 rows by 4 rows. Serve with whipped cream. Store covered in refrigerator.

Don’t forget to enter in my 2nd blogiversary giveaway by midnight on August 13th!

Bookmark and Share

10 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Bars”

Ingrid — August 6, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I’ve been anxious to try rhubarb but after many trips to the grocery store missed the season. (it sold out-FAST!) Did you use fresh or frozen rhubarb? I just saw the frozen kind and have been thinking about giving it a try.
    ~ingrid

Jen — August 6, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Ingrid – I made this when I was home in the Midwest back in June. It seems easier to find out there than in the East Coast where I live. We use fresh and I’ve never used frozen although my dad does freeze his for the rhubarb rolls I made a few weeks ago too. I should have grabbed a ton and froze it myself…

bewa3u1 — August 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I made these for a 4th of July party. we ran out of fresh and had to use frozen rhubarb, which tasted fine, we couldnt tell the difference (but we also had the fresh mixed in). Although I would suggest cutting the frozen pieces up a bit more- they came out of the bag huge! ~Jen’s older-younger sister

Jen — August 6, 2009 at 9:15 pm

thanks little sis! Were they store bought or did Dad freeze them from fresh?

Katie — August 7, 2009 at 2:42 am

No kidding – those look like the best dessert ever!! I’m starring and making for sure!

Sara @ Our Best Bites — August 7, 2009 at 5:07 am

Ya know what- I’ve never made anything with rhubarb! But those sure look yummy so I might have to try it :)

Colleen — August 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm

These look delicious!

nutmegnanny — August 7, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I love rhubarb, what a great new way to use it;)

madebymel — August 9, 2009 at 12:44 am

I really need to try rhubarb. I am afraid I won’t like it, but this looks like a great recipe!

Ingrid — August 9, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Thank for the info Jen! I just may go ahead and give frozen a try otherwise its wait a year.
    ~ingrid