Blueberry Lemon Basil Cupcakes

Hubby and I are in a cooking club. We meet once a month at someones house. The host picks a theme and we all make something from that theme and watch a movie that also fits into the theme. This month, hubby and I hosted and our theme was “Stuff It!” (and we watched The Right Stuff). I decided to make Stuffed tomatoes, Bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates, Stuffed strawberries, and of course Stuffed cupcakes. I’ll be posting about the rest of those goodies soon…

So for the cupcakes, I wanted to do something summery. Hubby loves blueberries so I decided to do lemon cupcakes stuffed with blueberries and blueberry preserves. I found this recipe while I was on the hunt for a good lemon recipe and was intrigued at the idea of putting basil into the frosting. So I made half of my frosting without the basil and half with the basil.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the basil flavor in the frosting. I thought it could have used a little more basil. Maybe since I did a buttercream instead of frosting, it wasn’t as prominent as the original blogger’s was.

The cake was deliciously lemony and very moist. I really loved this cake. The Swiss meringue buttercream was a hit as always.

Lemon Cupcakes – from A Good Appetite – makes 6 (I doubled to make 12)
2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt
3 T unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
1/4 c plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins.

Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
Beat the butter until light and fluffy. On high speed, gradually beat in the sugar until light & fluffy. Lower speed and add egg, beating until just blended. Then beat in lemon zest & lemon juice. On low speed beat in flour mixture & yogurt until just blended. This will be a very light fluffy batter.

Divide half the batter evenly among the 6 muffin tins. Place a scant teaspoon of blueberry basil sauce on top of the batter in each cup, try to keep to the center as much as possible. Top with the remaining batter.

Bake for 18 minutes. The edges should just be turning golden brown. Let cool on wire rack.

Lemon Basil Buttercream – adapted from DB recipe
– I made a 1/2 batch and it covered my 12 cupcakes. This is the 1/2 batch of frosting:
1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 large basil leaves, chopped (next time I’d use more)
Put the sugar and egg whites in a mixer bowl or another large heatproof bowl, fit the bowl over a plan of simmering water and whisk constantly, keeping the mixture over the heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes.

The sugar should be dissolved, and the mixture will look like shiny marshmallow cream.Remove the bowl from the heat.

Working with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the meringue on medium speed until it is cool, about 5 minutes.

Switch to the paddle attachment if you have one, and add the butter a stick at a time, beating until smooth.

Once all the butter is in, beat in the buttercream on medium-high speed until it is thick and very smooth, 6-10 minutes.

During this time the buttercream may curdle or separate – just keep beating and it will come together again.

On medium speed, gradually beat in the lemon juice, waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding more, and then the vanilla.

I divided the frosting in 1/2 so that I could make some with and some without the basil. Stir basil into frosting.
To assemble cupcakes:
Once cupcakes are completely cool, use the cone method to put about a tsp of blueberry preserves and 1 fresh blueberry into the cupcakes.

Pipe frosting onto cupcake tops. Garnish with blueberry or small basil leaf.

34 Responses to “Spicy Peach Jalapeno Jam”

Shannon — September 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

ooh, i am drooling thinking about this over melty brie!! fabulous 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

It’s definitely as good as it sounds.

Queen Sashy — September 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

what a lovely jam! there are still some peaches at the market and i need to make this asap.

Claudia — September 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Sounds wonderful! When do you add the liquid pectin and how long do you let it boil after you add it?

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:14 pm

Sorry about the mistake in the recipe, I have updated the recipe to reflect when to add the pectin.

Rima — September 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

That sounds delicious, but when do we add the pectin, and can we use powdered pectin instead of the liquid one? Thank you so much…

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I’m still new to canning, but I read in the Ball book that you can’t swap different kinds of pectin and should only use what the recipe calls for…

Loretta — September 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

when do you add the pectin ??????

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Kelly — September 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm

How long does this keep?

• beantownbaker — September 28th, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

If you process the jars in a water bath, they will be fine on a shelf for up to a year. Once opened, you want to refrigerate it and it will keep for about a month in the fridge.

Toni — June 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

The number of cups of chopped peaches would be very helpful. Also, are the pectin pouches 3 or 6 oz?

Megan Wilson — July 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm

The flavor was outstanding! However, it never fully set-up into a jelly. It was more of a jam/thick sauce – even after re-processing with a 2nd pack of pectin (I gave in and used the powder) On my other batches, I used 2 dry packs – and I’m not sure if those will even set correctly. 🙁

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

Sorry to hear this didn’t set up for you…

Nick — July 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

With sealed jars what is the shelf life of something like this?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

In general, I would try to open them within 6 months. I have kept jars of jam for up to a year without any problems.

Lindsay L — July 28, 2014 at 8:57 am

This is my second year making this and i just wanted to tell you that it is outstanding. i’m sure others are wondering about yield — I got 9 half-pints from one batch. How long do you process this? I did 15 mins to err on the side of caution. Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

I always process for 10 minutes.

Dee Ann — August 2, 2014 at 11:52 am

Does this make the five half-pint jars shown or does it make more? Since everything sort of comes together at the end in canning (hot jam, sterilized jars, etc., and boiling water) I like to know ahead of time how many jars to prepare. Thanks.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

It made 6 jars for me. It will depend how big your peaches are too.

Roxanne Riddle — August 10, 2014 at 11:23 am

With my jams, I usually use real lemon juice, but not in such large quantity,Did you use fresh or “jarred” lemon juice?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

Yes, I use jarred lemon juice here.

Blaire Prince — August 17, 2014 at 3:17 pm

According to “foodinjars.com” you can substitute 2 TBSP powdered pectin for 1 pouch of liquid pectin. 🙂 just thought I’d share that little tidbit! This recipe is FANTASTIC! Thanks Jen!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

krista jackson — August 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

I am looking forward to making this jam this evening!! I was seaching for a recipe for peach and jalapeno jam and this one caught my eye! Because you posted it my the day I was married, then reading your story and that you live in Cincy! I was born and raised north of that area!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Small world! I hope you enjoyed this jam.

Kim — August 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm

This recipe should come with a warning label. I feel like I just made crack. I changed it up a bit and used cherries instead of peaches. I was having a hard time finding a cherry pepper recipe and had cherries in my freezer needing evicted and this one looked so good I used it as my baseline. THANK YOU for sharing it! If you are interested, it was a mix of sweet and tart cherries, and I added an extra jalapeno to a double batch. I just got done putting up nearly 11 pints of the stuff and am sitting here like a child licking the residue off my ladle it is that freaking good. Definitely recommend you try it with cherries some day if you like them. I am picking peaches this weekend and will definitely be making this as posted because I am sure it is divine. Ive been making jams and jellies since i was a child and this is the best one yet. Thank you again, can’t wait to try it properly with peaches!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Cherries! What a great change. I’m goign to have to try that out.

Bonnie Kandalec — September 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm

It would have been nice to know how many jars I would need to make this recipe!!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

I got 6 jars. I’ll update the recipe to reflect the yield.

Christine — July 10, 2015 at 7:39 am

Oooooh. I am making this this weekend – thanks for a fantastic-looking recipe!

Sam — July 12, 2015 at 9:04 pm

First time jam maker. Went to the farmer’s market this weekend and bought peaches and jalapenos (along with a bunch of other stuff). Thought I’d try my hand at making a jam/jelly because we love it on pork chops. This recipe was perfect. Thanks for sharing… and thank you to Google for popping it towards the top of the search list. Thank you Beantown Baker!

Daina — July 27, 2015 at 2:28 pm

How long do you need to water bath can it??

McCaverty — August 16, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Made this today – delicious but decidedly soupy. I thought maybe once it cooled it would set up more, but no.