Blueberry Lemon Basil Cupcakes

Hubby and I are in a cooking club. We meet once a month at someones house. The host picks a theme and we all make something from that theme and watch a movie that also fits into the theme. This month, hubby and I hosted and our theme was “Stuff It!” (and we watched The Right Stuff). I decided to make Stuffed tomatoes, Bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates, Stuffed strawberries, and of course Stuffed cupcakes. I’ll be posting about the rest of those goodies soon…

So for the cupcakes, I wanted to do something summery. Hubby loves blueberries so I decided to do lemon cupcakes stuffed with blueberries and blueberry preserves. I found this recipe while I was on the hunt for a good lemon recipe and was intrigued at the idea of putting basil into the frosting. So I made half of my frosting without the basil and half with the basil.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the basil flavor in the frosting. I thought it could have used a little more basil. Maybe since I did a buttercream instead of frosting, it wasn’t as prominent as the original blogger’s was.

The cake was deliciously lemony and very moist. I really loved this cake. The Swiss meringue buttercream was a hit as always.

Lemon Cupcakes – from A Good Appetite – makes 6 (I doubled to make 12)
2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt
3 T unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
1/4 c plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins.

Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
Beat the butter until light and fluffy. On high speed, gradually beat in the sugar until light & fluffy. Lower speed and add egg, beating until just blended. Then beat in lemon zest & lemon juice. On low speed beat in flour mixture & yogurt until just blended. This will be a very light fluffy batter.

Divide half the batter evenly among the 6 muffin tins. Place a scant teaspoon of blueberry basil sauce on top of the batter in each cup, try to keep to the center as much as possible. Top with the remaining batter.

Bake for 18 minutes. The edges should just be turning golden brown. Let cool on wire rack.

Lemon Basil Buttercream – adapted from DB recipe
– I made a 1/2 batch and it covered my 12 cupcakes. This is the 1/2 batch of frosting:
1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 large basil leaves, chopped (next time I’d use more)
Put the sugar and egg whites in a mixer bowl or another large heatproof bowl, fit the bowl over a plan of simmering water and whisk constantly, keeping the mixture over the heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes.

The sugar should be dissolved, and the mixture will look like shiny marshmallow cream.Remove the bowl from the heat.

Working with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the meringue on medium speed until it is cool, about 5 minutes.

Switch to the paddle attachment if you have one, and add the butter a stick at a time, beating until smooth.

Once all the butter is in, beat in the buttercream on medium-high speed until it is thick and very smooth, 6-10 minutes.

During this time the buttercream may curdle or separate – just keep beating and it will come together again.

On medium speed, gradually beat in the lemon juice, waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding more, and then the vanilla.

I divided the frosting in 1/2 so that I could make some with and some without the basil. Stir basil into frosting.
To assemble cupcakes:
Once cupcakes are completely cool, use the cone method to put about a tsp of blueberry preserves and 1 fresh blueberry into the cupcakes.

Pipe frosting onto cupcake tops. Garnish with blueberry or small basil leaf.

31 Responses to “Raspberry Curd and an Interesting Twist on a Breakfast Sandwich”

Sunshine — April 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thank God for the weird flavors and for not making em the only weirdo foodie out there. This sounds heavenly, and I can’t wait to try my hand at the curd this weekend.

yumventures — April 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I am practically addicted to lemon curd, and since raspberries are by far my favorite berry I would be scared to make this, have so much left over, and pour it over everything I could eat! The breakfast sandwich also looks good, never had sweet with the eggs, but its worth a shot! Would be great with french toast, and I love cream cheese with sweet jam 🙂

Katie — April 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Jen, that curd looks just wonderful! I LOVE raspberry!

hannah! — April 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

it’s okay to have a weird tastebud. it all matters if you like it (: i think flutternutters are weird in comparison 😛 no offense, people!

Pam — April 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Mmm, this sounds fantastic! I’m so used to curd being citrus – this would be a nice change of pace.

Sarah — April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You’re not the only one! Growing up, when we didn’t have tomato soup with our grilled cheese, there was usually jam spread on it after it was grilled. It’s a weird combo that one of my parents inroduced, but it’s surprisingly good.

Bridget — April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Ooh, raspberry curd sounds fantastic.

Your sandwich seems like the breakfast version of a monte cristo sandwich, and I really like monte cristos.

mrs. c — April 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

i have never had raspberry curd and it sounds yummy. I think it would taste great on french toast. i might just have to try this!

Joanne — April 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I actually love egg and jam sandwiches! I think it’s pretty weird…but oh so delicious. that curd looks fantastic! Gorgeous color.

Kelly — April 21, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Wow, this could totally solve my problem with breakfast sandwiches. I just REALLY like sweetness in my breakfast but I want to like breakfast sandwiches because egg is so filling and good for you…I am definitely going to try this!

Kerstin — April 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I bet the sweet/savory combo is yummy! I’ve never made curd for a cake before but hope to soon – it sounds so delicious and versatile.

Elina — April 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’ve heard of this combo before and I have to say – it grosses me out and intrigues me at the same time. Maybe I’ll get the guts to try it some day. You do make it sound delicious 🙂

Sook — April 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Oh wow, the curd looks so beautiful! The consistency looks perfect!

Kimberly Alexandra — April 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Funny this should come up b/c I just had a ham & egg sandwich last night and I almost always have to add strawberry jam to that! Adding raspberry curd is sure to be just as good.

🙂 Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well

PS – that curd is simply gorgeous!

smellslikehome — April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

ooo i think i know which cake you’ll be posting soon…if it’s the one i’m thinking of, i have to say, this curd was the best filling i could imagine for that cake. this curd was just awesome (and i’m not a raspberry fan) and yours looks gorgeous!!

ABowlOfMush — April 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Wow that is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen!

whisk-kid — April 23, 2010 at 4:12 am

This certainly sounds like an interesting combination. I suppose it’s similar to a monte cristo, no? I’d love to give it a try!

A Cup Full of Cake — April 23, 2010 at 5:23 am

I saw this recipe yesterday and immediately printed it. I made Vanilla raspberry cupcakes for a friend’s birthday and wanted to make them a little extra special. This curd is amazing. Its a little thinner than lemon curd but that was perfect for what I wanted. I didn’t want that thicker consistency. I will link to your blog when I post the cupcakes with pics and recipes to mine!
    Shanna

ButterYum — April 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I believe you when you say it tastes great with eggs. I’m not a ketchup fan, but I do like it on scrambled eggs – completely changes the flavor of both!

I’m surprised your curd didn’t thicken after being chilled.

Btw, tell you hubby that it’s true cheese and jelly seem like a strange combo, but well prepared cheese platters always include fruit selections (pears, grapes, etc) – they compliment one another beautifully.

🙂
    ButterYum

NikiTheo — April 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm

(1) Raspberry curd rocks, but I’ve never had a recipe for it, so thank you!
    (2) Berries are gerat on savory dishes! Every had a berry sauce on grilled rare venison meat? YUM!!!!
    (3) When I make over easy eggs, I always use toast covered in butter and raspberry preserves to sop up the yolk. So good!!!
    So you are in good company my dear!

Jen — April 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only “weirdo” that likes the jam/egg/cheese combo.

I’m also surprised it didn’t thicken up more. Even this morning, it was still the same consistency and it’s been in the fridge since I made it.

doreeen sia — April 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

A Cup Full of Cake — April 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Your raspberry curd recipe is amazing!! I made it and used it for some cupcakes. I credited and linked to your blog in my blog! Thanks for an awesome recipe
    Shanna

Joudie's Mood Food — August 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

This certainly looks addictive, and the colour is just DIVINE! Will have to try it ….. Am curioius to see what it tastes like with egg..

Kelly — March 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I don’t know if I’m brave enough to try this one on an egg sandwich, but I did pin it 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Thanks for the pin! I hope you try it some time.

Courtney — March 29, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Jen, are the amounts above written the way that you made it (doubled)? Can’t wait to try it!

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I’ve never doubled this recipe before, but I don’t see why you couldn’t. Let me know how it works out for you.

Nicole — May 10, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I have been searching for a recipe just like this for a cake filling! Thank you so much 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Glad to help! I hope you enjoy it 🙂

Stacey — May 19, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Is it possible to make this without the added sugar? I’m trying to find recipes that are good for a cancer diet. Thanks