Chocolate Sorbet

As I mentioned last week, I have quite a few posts in draft phase just waiting for me to carve out some time to write them up. One thing I’ve been making a lot of this year is ice cream. I’ve only posted two recipes at this point, but I have another 4 waiting to be published.

Chocolate Sorbet

I have been trying all different kinds of ice cream treats. Full-fat custard based ice creams, milk based ice creams without eggs, and of course some sorbets. I was drawn to this recipe because it only uses three ingredients. There’s no dairy and no eggs, just water, sugar, and cocoa powder.

Chocolate Sorbet

Be sure you use a great cocoa powder here because that’s where all of your flavor is coming from. While I was unpacking my kitchen a couple weeks ago, I discovered that I had 7 different kinds of cocoa powder. I might have a problem…

Chocolate Sorbet

This sorbet is creamy and light with an intense chocolate flavor. Hubby commented that it tasted like frozen chocolate syrup. I enjoyed it best with some fresh berries mixed in or some whipped cream dolloped on top. Hubby asked me to make this again, but I told him there were too many ice cream recipes on my to-make list right now. I am sure this will get made again because of the intensely chocolate results for such an easy recipe.

Chocolate Sorbet

One Year Ago: Homemade Yeast Doughnuts and Browned Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
Two Years Ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes and Pina Colada Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Lemon Cilantro Potato Salad and Homemade “Instant” Pancake Mix
Four Years Ago: Cinnamon Biscuits
Five Years Ago: Dorie’s Perfect Party Cake

Print Save

Chocolate Sorbet

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder

Directions:

Combine water and sugar in a pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.

Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes, whisking continuously.

Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes then move to the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.

Stir mixture and process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Press plastic wrap on to surface of sorbet and freeze until hard.

11 Responses to “Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This looks like such a perfect gift! Are those your homemade marshmallows I spy in the mug?

Jen — December 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Of course they are! I seriously can’t justify buying marshmallows anymore. They’re just so easy and SO good homemade. I even whipped up a batch to put on our twice baked sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.

Blog is the New Black — December 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I really wanted to do this this year for gifts but time escaped me. Looks great!

Boston Food Diary — December 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Soooo here’s the deal- A Boston Food Diary is going to look A LOT like Beantown Baker next week as I steal your recipes 🙂 Looks great Jen!

Megan — December 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Why have I never thought about doing this? It looks so easy and it definitely would give me an excuse to make some homemade marshmallows!

Danielle — December 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm

That looks like an amazing gift! Making a homemade hot cocoa would definetly save money. Thanks for the recipe(:

EliFla — December 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Ghirardelli cocoa is very good and your homemade hot cocoa mix …too!!! May you have a special merry Christmas!!!Hugs, Flavia

Meghan@travelwinedine — December 21, 2010 at 1:17 am

I have never thought of making my own cocoa mix OR marshmallows. I feel a winter project coming on. Looks delicious!

kitchenmisfit — December 21, 2010 at 1:33 am

I have had this bookmarked to make to some gifts for a couple of my girlfriends. So awesome and easy to make!

-Amanda

dana — December 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Loads of thanks to you. I can make everyone happy this Christmas. This recipe is even easy to follow.

innochkaskitchen — December 24, 2010 at 3:01 am

Yum! What a great holiday gift idea!