Chocolate Sorbet

As I mentioned last week, I have quite a few posts in draft phase just waiting for me to carve out some time to write them up. One thing I’ve been making a lot of this year is ice cream. I’ve only posted two recipes at this point, but I have another 4 waiting to be published.

Chocolate Sorbet

I have been trying all different kinds of ice cream treats. Full-fat custard based ice creams, milk based ice creams without eggs, and of course some sorbets. I was drawn to this recipe because it only uses three ingredients. There’s no dairy and no eggs, just water, sugar, and cocoa powder.

Chocolate Sorbet

Be sure you use a great cocoa powder here because that’s where all of your flavor is coming from. While I was unpacking my kitchen a couple weeks ago, I discovered that I had 7 different kinds of cocoa powder. I might have a problem…

Chocolate Sorbet

This sorbet is creamy and light with an intense chocolate flavor. Hubby commented that it tasted like frozen chocolate syrup. I enjoyed it best with some fresh berries mixed in or some whipped cream dolloped on top. Hubby asked me to make this again, but I told him there were too many ice cream recipes on my to-make list right now. I am sure this will get made again because of the intensely chocolate results for such an easy recipe.

Chocolate Sorbet

One Year Ago: Homemade Yeast Doughnuts and Browned Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
Two Years Ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes and Pina Colada Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Lemon Cilantro Potato Salad and Homemade “Instant” Pancake Mix
Four Years Ago: Cinnamon Biscuits
Five Years Ago: Dorie’s Perfect Party Cake

Print Save

Chocolate Sorbet

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder

Directions:

Combine water and sugar in a pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.

Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes, whisking continuously.

Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes then move to the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.

Stir mixture and process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Press plastic wrap on to surface of sorbet and freeze until hard.

9 Responses to “I’ll have S’more”

Elly — March 11, 2008 at 2:50 am

These look SO good. I was actually looking for s’mores _____ because I wanted to bake something with chocolate and marshmallows. These may be just the thing!

Michelle — March 11, 2008 at 2:58 am

These are so cute! Now I’m craving real smores!

slush — March 11, 2008 at 3:02 am

So freakin cute, I love them, so would my boys. Just today, Liam was picking up sticks in the yard and asked if he could start a fire so that he could make smores. I kid you not. He is 5. Where do they get these ideas?

Adorable Jen! Thanks so much!

CB — March 11, 2008 at 3:03 am

I lurve smores! Your mini smore cupcakes are so fabulous. Great job!
    -Clara

Jaime — March 11, 2008 at 4:43 am

yum! what a great idea!

bakingblonde — March 11, 2008 at 11:55 am

That idea is brilliant! Smores is one of my favorite all time treats and who doesn’t love a mini muffin? Wow, what a great idea.

kate — March 12, 2008 at 3:06 pm

WOW. those look completely luscious!
    want some.
    i’m hoping to enter the hero challenge this time, but i can’t quite decide what to make. . .

———–
    kate
    join the cookie carnival!

Erin — March 19, 2008 at 1:42 pm

These are so wrong, but so right! That batch would be seriously unsafe in my house. They’d have to be given away immediately or I’d risk eating every last one and never fitting in my pants again.

Sarah — March 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm

These will be perfect for an upcoming family vacation. We’re not camping, but are renting a house with a fire pit and we usually spend every night out there making s’mores. I can easily make the cupcakes beforehand and then we can roast the marshmallows outside. It will be something cute and different. Thanks for this recipe!!!